Which dev loves Blue so much?

Options
BrotherGlacius
BrotherGlacius Posts: 14
edited April 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I have never seen any color in the game pull so much out of its **** than blue. Clearly, you guys love blue the most. I mean there really is no other explanation for it. It is the only color in the game that constantly gets just what it needs to counter any other deck.

It really is quite amazing how they always get exactly what they need at the perfect time in order to counter you. And they are never short on mana somehow. Oh no, blue rocks an unbelievable streak of chain matches.

Clearly, your game is coded so that blue wins. I also really like how supports that can stop blue always seem to end up on the board where they are immediately removed. I almost don't even bother with them when fighting blue. Why waste the mana on a support that will get removed immediately? And yet theirs is always buried deep in the corner that has no matches around it.

Is this a rant? yes. Am I blowing things out of proportion? Possibly. But when 99% of my losses come from a single color, and the same things happen time after time, then yes, it does make you wonder. So either your team has no freaking clue how to balance blue, or something else is going on.

I'd actually feel better if other colors beat me from time to time. Sometimes things just go the other way, I accept that. But that isn't the case against blue. Blue games take forever because they constantly counter everything you have, no matter what strat you are running. Things always fall into place for blue, but strangely, not for the other colors. So explain that. I'd love to hear why blue is the only color that constantly gets that sort of luck.

Comments

• Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    I have never seen any color in the game pull so much out of its **** than blue. Clearly, you guys love blue the most. I mean there really is no other explanation for it. It is the only color in the game that constantly gets just what it needs to counter any other deck.

It really is quite amazing how they always get exactly what they need at the perfect time in order to counter you. And they are never short on mana somehow. Oh no, blue rocks an unbelievable streak of chain matches.

Clearly, your game is coded so that blue wins. I also really like how supports that can stop blue always seem to end up on the board where they are immediately removed. I almost don't even bother with them when fighting blue. Why waste the mana on a support that will get removed immediately? And yet theirs is always buried deep in the corner that has no matches around it.

Is this a rant? yes. Am I blowing things out of proportion? Possibly. But when 99% of my losses come from a single color, and the same things happen time after time, then yes, it does make you wonder. So either your team has no freaking clue how to balance blue, or something else is going on.

I'd actually feel better if other colors beat me from time to time. Sometimes things just go the other way, I accept that. But that isn't the case against blue. Blue games take forever because they constantly counter everything you have, no matter what strat you are running. Things always fall into place for blue, but strangely, not for the other colors. So explain that. I'd love to hear why blue is the only color that constantly gets that sort of luck.

I'm curious, are you a newer player or a veteran? I haven't played with many of the new cards yet but Blue doesn't seem to be oppressive. I actually think white or red may end up as the best decks. Smite the Monstrous is easily the best new white card (and it's common!) and there's also a colorless destroy creature spell Scour from Existence (also at common). It's a lot easier to come back in games now that you can reliably kill creatures that get double reinforced due to lucky cascades.

I used to quit every single game when a Blue Player cast Mizzium Meddler and I didn't already have an unbeatable board. Now I don't think Blue is only slight more frustrating to play against than other decks.
  • Mizzium actually better vs players now than it used to be. At least, imo.

I had a lot of overflow as Nissa so it didn't really bother me very much. It did take a lot of card shuffling though.

Smite is nice but consul and enshrouding mist is still the best thing ingame.
  • Meto5000
    Options
    pandabear wrote:

I mean, Consul is the best white creature bar none, but I think a case can be made for Smite being on par with enshrouding mist. The reason Smite's so powerful is that there's not really any creature that I care about with less than 4 Power. Maybe Drana decks? Also on the topic of Drana, why does an Unblockable, non-defender creature have First Strike? I mean, it's cool but why?
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Also on the topic of Drana, why does an Unblockable, non-defender creature have First Strike? I mean, it's cool but why?

lol i never realised that. maybe they got the icons confused and the devs wanted it to give it haste? its almost the same icon lol (haste would have had a lot more sense btw)
    anyway i dont really care because chances are ill never have a drana to try it
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Green is always the one that angers me... go from me having 1 creature out and AI has no creatures out... in one turn it cascades into filling Mana on all 5 cards in its hand and putting out 3 creatures and reinforcing 2. Then it gets another turn because of the match 5.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Y'all are getting wildly off-topic from the OP about The Great Blue Conspiracy™.
    There isn't one, but if a conspiracy/AI cheating theory keeps you from destroying your mobile device, then that's a reasonable coping mechanism.
  • Keegan
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Smite the Monstrous is easily the best new white card (and it's common!)

icon_eek.gif

Sweet, I can ditch Suppression Bonds and Swift Reckoning to free up a spot in my deck.

Woot.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    pandabear wrote:

I mean, Consul is the best white creature bar none, but I think a case can be made for Smite being on par with enshrouding mist. The reason Smite's so powerful is that there's not really any creature that I care about with less than 4 Power. Maybe Drana decks? Also on the topic of Drana, why does an Unblockable, non-defender creature have First Strike? I mean, it's cool but why?

Its awesome. Add Brawler's Plate and it's something that black has never had. I haven't looked through cards other than what I have and there is a support that will give Vigilance for one round, I've already used that strategically to clear the board taking now damage.
  • Wow! After all the nerfs that it got this last go around.
  • Meto5000
    Options
    soultwist wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Maybe Drana decks? Also on the topic of Drana, why does an Unblockable, non-defender creature have First Strike? I mean, it's cool but why?

Its awesome. Add Brawler's Plate and it's something that black has never had. I haven't looked through cards other than what I have and there is a support that will give Vigilance for one round, I've already used that strategically to clear the board taking now damage.

That's a fair point, but a 2/3 defender with first strike isn't terrific and she doesn't buff herself so she's gonna need some help before that First Strike is ever going to be super useful.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    soultwist wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Maybe Drana decks? Also on the topic of Drana, why does an Unblockable, non-defender creature have First Strike? I mean, it's cool but why?

That's a fair point, but a 2/3 defender with first strike isn't terrific and she doesn't buff herself so she's gonna need some help before that First Strike is ever going to be super useful.

That is incorrect, she buffs herself and every time because she is not blocked. With a good draw and tile lineup you can be at 5/6 before another creature enters the game.
  • Meto5000
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:

That is incorrect, she buffs herself and every time because she is not blocked. With a good draw and tile lineup you can be at 5/6 before another creature enters the game.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct, I totally misread the card. Aight, I can definitely see First Strike being a good thing for her.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    with brawl's plate she doesnt buff herself because she deals no damage to the planeswalker since she is gonna hit a creature because has berserker
  • BrotherGlacius
    Options
    Thanks for the great derail. So much useless info in this thread. Fantastic.
  • Keegan
    Options
    Thanks for the great derail. So much useless info in this thread. Fantastic.

What kind of discussion were you looking for? A bunch of people agreeing, "Yes, the devs love blue! They obviously program it to win because they love it!"? You're experiencing confirmation bias. The game is not cheating, Jace is just particularly hard for some PW to beat and easier for others. All PWs have an opposite that frustrates them, it's part of the design of the game.

You can read a four-page thread dedicated to complaining about Jace here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38153

You'll find other threads where people complain about the other PWs in similar fashion.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Red has a 1 mana common card (Sure Strike) in BFZ giving +3/+0 and first strike till the end of the turn. It also has a 3 mana uncommon (Turn Against) that does the same thing as Act of Treason (4 mana, also uncommon) but *without* the non-defender / non-reach restriction.

I feel like someone who worked on the BFZ cards loves red lol. I love red too but I feel like the good BFZ cards are blowing the Origins cards out of the water.

And back on 'topic', I find Blue less annoying now. It feels like blue has more cascades cause when they do their cards with all the annoying effects become really apparent. But that's about it.
  • BrotherGlacius
    Options
    <rant>Well the new update is just fantastic. I would really love to see a post game report that shows how much mana was generated by each player. So far the AI seems to be out generating me quite a bit since the update. The amount of chain matches they are making is just amazing. Red and Green are definitely the big winners there. By the time I had generated 21 mana in one match, the red opponent generated over 55. I wish my mana generating supports did half as well at making matches as theirs do. </rant>
  • <rant>Well the new update is just fantastic. I would really love to see a post game report that shows how much mana was generated by each player. So far the AI seems to be out generating me quite a bit since the update. The amount of chain matches they are making is just amazing. Red and Green are definitely the big winners there. By the time I had generated 21 mana in one match, the red opponent generated over 55. I wish my mana generating supports did half as well at making matches as theirs do. </rant>

This is an excellent idea. If you haven't already, put it in the suggestions forum. I would love to see statistics on mana generation. Of course, this by itself isn't an indicator of "balance". Some PWs are just better at generating mana than others and for good reason.

But otherwise, the whole "devs love Blue" complaint is tired.