Idiotic AI moves

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
I was retaliating against The Ladder this morning. He would be ashamed of how the AI managed the team.

Mr. Ladder, your team was specifically collecting purple and environmental tiles. We were on the latveria battlefield and I was able to be on the receiving end of that high-cost environmental ability there. The AI collected Environmental TIles first, then Purple tiles, then everything else. It matched 4 environmental tiles when a more desirable 4-red tile match was available. I'm not disparaging you but the battle was a joke and I expected more of a challenge. It's no wonder it's difficult to defend. The AI makes foolish decisions. (why purple???...)

Other foolish actions the AI makes:

High level Iron Man Model 40 and Thor. Iron man spits out 3 yellow recharge tiles and promptly matches two of them. Why?
Magneto matching blue defense tiles, just to make a 3-blue match. Why?
When timer users and Ragnarok are in the same lineup he doesn't care about their timer tiles. If there are 6 green AP and a teammate places a timer is placed in the middle, Ragnarok will destroy it. If there's a beautiful 5-across match waiting ready to match, Ragnarok will destroy it. There really should be more communication between Ragnarok and his allies.
Idiotic tile placement for other abilities.

Comments

• ragnarok plays with no one
  • LOL nice to see the AI making a complete mockery of me! I've seen that kind of stuff before, the AI doesn't seem to have any comprehension of what colours would be preferable to the team in play - I mean, when I play the set up you were battling, I'm looking for red and blue primarily, followed closely by green and yellow. The other colours are last resorts. Goes without saying really.

I originally thought the AI was respectable, but man the stuff you point out are compelling evidence as to why there could be many improvements. I'm not sure how easy it would be to code all that though, humans are far more intelligent of course (in some cases lol).
  • I wonder if the AI has Juggernaut headbutt himself to death if there are enough red tiles available for matching. I've always wondered about this. Or would the other team go down before that happened?
  • i know i've seen a juggernaut headbutt himself into me and kill himself for my victory
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Definitely seen Jugg kill himself with a headbutt. Another fun fact is that if he does that and at the same time kills your last character, you still win the match. Learned THAT in the prologue one day...
  • Domino wrote:
    I wonder if the AI has Juggernaut headbutt himself to death if there are enough red tiles available for matching. I've always wondered about this. Or would the other team go down before that happened?

Yes. It'll also happily do Blood Thorn (Forest or Jungle environmental ability; I forget) and kill itself (even the last character). Won many matches PvE against Juggernaut this way, as well as a few PvP matches w/ either Jugg or Forest tiles.

The AI looks for 4-matches, but not 5-matches (it'll only get a 5 if they're in a straight line), it only uses abilities if it has the AP for them at the start of the turn, and it has really weird color priorities as noted above.

What's The Ladder's team? Is there any rational reason for it to be collecting Purple? Even to block you?
  • I've pretty much been running Classic Spidey and Ragnarok with Iron Man 40 in the weekend tourney. No reason at all to collect purple.
  • Juggernaut suicide always annoys me, I bet the AI does it just to extend my healing time.
  • Juggernaut suicide always annoys me, I bet the AI does it just to extend my healing time.

Damage received on defence do no affect your healing time.

And yeah, AI could use some improvement. But then people will start complaining it's too hard to beat... welcome to the internet icon_e_wink.gif
  • Shikao wrote:
    Juggernaut suicide always annoys me, I bet the AI does it just to extend my healing time.

Damage received on defence do no affect your healing time.

And yeah, AI could use some improvement. But then people will start complaining it's too hard to beat... welcome to the internet icon_e_wink.gif

I mean if I'm playing against a juggernaut, he does more damage to my team in suicide than he would have if I killed him.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I noticed this morning the AI was gathering environment and purple over anything else in the model 40 tourney - and I mean anything. There was this foolish hero with a maxed out 2* Storm and a Lv 1 character (free wins and ISO for Dormammu!) who I was hammering back and forth with. No one on the team needed purple, but the AI was gobbling it up like a bloodthirsty demon. It wanted a 3-tile purple match over a 5-tile blue! Pathetic AI; it is no match for Dormammu.
  • This is why I make sure to run a rainbow team. Man the AI is a tiny **** kitty.
  • In my experience, the AI ragnaroks like to collect green over red and AI spidey likes to collect purple over blue. No matter what character though, they all love matching environmental tiles
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Domino wrote:
    I wonder if the AI has Juggernaut headbutt himself to death if there are enough red tiles available for matching. I've always wondered about this. Or would the other team go down before that happened?

Yes. It'll also happily do Blood Thorn (Forest or Jungle environmental ability; I forget) and kill itself (even the last character). Won many matches PvE against Juggernaut this way, as well as a few PvP matches w/ either Jugg or Forest tiles.

The AI looks for 4-matches, but not 5-matches (it'll only get a 5 if they're in a straight line), it only uses abilities if it has the AP for them at the start of the turn, and it has really weird color priorities as noted above.

What's The Ladder's team? Is there any rational reason for it to be collecting Purple? Even to block you?

No need for purple in the lineup I was playing. He didn't need purple either.
    ZzzWolph wrote:
    In my experience, the AI ragnaroks like to collect green over red and AI spidey likes to collect purple over blue. No matter what character though, they all love matching environmental tiles

Yeah, I noticed a tendency to pick up environmental tiles when it would be better to pick up other tiles
  • The team I was just fighting in the Thor tournament had Thor and Juggernaut and 1 other. The computer had just got lots of red so I thought "oh no, Thor will kill me now", but no. The AI used the red for Juggernaut's Headbutt instead. Thor would have done more damage! I assume the AI doesn't take into account the tournament buffs.
  • I noticed in the weekend tourney that the AI would suddenly have huge amounts of environmental AP. Probably news only to me, but apparently matching a critical tile with environmental tiles multiplies the environmental AP received. In small amounts it's no problem, but I lost a few rounds due to this. Five turns in a row of the AI using boosted criticals tiles created from spending env-AP was more than I could withstand. I'm used to controlling the colors the AI gets, but I haven't typically worried about blocking it from getting environmental tiles.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    I noticed in the weekend tourney that the AI would suddenly have huge amounts of environmental AP. Probably news only to me, but apparently matching a critical tile with environmental tiles multiplies the environmental AP received. In small amounts it's no problem, but I lost a few rounds due to this. Five turns in a row of the AI using boosted criticals tiles created from spending env-AP was more than I could withstand. I'm used to controlling the colors the AI gets, but I haven't typically worried about blocking it from getting environmental tiles.

I saw forest for the first time because of this. Needless to say, I retreated. Seeing 80% of the board turn red, then all clear was terrifying.
  • I wasn't "fortunate" enough to see forest, but I did see the danger room one that destroys the left and right sides a couple times.