No more buying 3 packs!?!?!?!?

Options
The_Leftist
The_Leftist Posts: 224
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
A developer stated on another thread that the free 3 packs every 8 hours are replacing the ability to buy 3 packs to "allow players to focus on leveling planeswalkers".

So, if a developer would please elaborate, what use are runes going to be for those of us who have maxed all 5 planeswalkers? Will there be any way at all to now get cards for runes or even be able to use runes at all?

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    They'll certainly release more planeswalkers. I'm pretty sure the game mentions the possibility of multi-color planeswalkers at some point.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They also said there would be other rune sinks, but they can't reveal them yet. I agree it's not much consolation for those who are already at the end-game, but it's probably just a little early to pull out the 4 question marks and exclamation points just yet. icon_e_smile.gif
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    Ya. I just saw his post on the alternate rune sink holes, but prior to that, it seemed as tho this game was heading towards a heavy pay to play route. Hopefully, cards will still be available without heavy competing or spending $$$ for cards. Just don't want to see this fun and interesting game become Marvel Puzzle Quest, which had a very bad reputation for being pay to win when I played. Not sure where the game is at now, but when I played, if you didn't spend $$ for shield hopping, you were gauranteed to not place well in PvP, and roster expansion became a crawl for non paying players.

With any luck, we will still have the option of spending runes for a chance at cards. I understand they need to integrate something that will draw revenue, but limiting new cards to placing highly, waiting for daily rewards, or paying $ is kind of harsh.

Personally, I'd rather see a subscription for $5-10/month for content free players can't get like additional card sets, new walkers, subscription exclusive brackets where top 5 get mythics, top 100 get rares, etc instead
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've not seen many FtP games go the sub route. The income is more stable but you miss out on the whales - and MPQ and frankly this game seem to be more whale-targeted. That's just a guess, though (obviously).
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    @The_Leftist: I currently have 193k runes. What should I do with my runes before 1.3.1 hits? I'm currently at 212 cards of ~245. It seems unlikely that it's worth it to buy any packs given the extremely small chance that I'll get anything that I don't already own and that I'd be better off waiting to see how the planeswalker level vs quick battle thing plays out.
  • Meto5000 wrote:
    @The_Leftist: I currently have 193k runes. What should I do with my runes before 1.3.1 hits? I'm currently at 212 cards of ~245. It seems unlikely that it's worth it to buy any packs given the extremely small chance that I'll get anything that I don't already own and that I'd be better off waiting to see how the planeswalker level vs quick battle thing plays out.
    If you have faith we'll be able to do something worthwhile with duplicates, then you could arguably blow half of that on Rune Packs and cross your fingers. At least you could if it didn't take 30 seconds to actually get through pulling one of those packs. Otherwise, sit on them for the next 1-2 months while they figure out what they want to do with them. Pretend they're not there.
  • ecoKady wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:
    If you have faith we'll be able to do something worthwhile with duplicates, then you could arguably blow half of that on Rune Packs and cross your fingers. At least you could if it didn't take 30 seconds to actually get through pulling one of those packs. Otherwise, sit on them for the next 1-2 months while they figure out what they want to do with them. Pretend they're not there.

HALF!? LOL
    That's 429 rune packs. At ~45 seconds per pack to open, that's over 5 1/2 hours straight. Ain't nobody got time for that!
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    cheveedodd wrote:
    Ain't nobody got time for that!
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:

Indeed.
  • cheveedodd wrote:
    ecoKady wrote:
    Meto5000 wrote:

HALF!? LOL
    That's 429 rune packs. At ~45 seconds per pack to open, that's over 5 1/2 hours straight. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Better get started.
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:
    cheveedodd wrote:

Indeed.

Well played! icon_lol.gif
  • I opened 55k of packs over 3 days, spending maybe 15-20 minutes per 10k. Got 15 rares and 5 mythics. I think 4-5 new cards? Overall not bad. I'm also around 215, 220 cards now.
  • I thought about spending all my runes buying 3 packs. But instead I leveled all but 1 PW to the levels I want them to be for 1.31 quick battle to get some easy fat pack rewards from the first few quick battle events .
    Only my Nissa is still level 8 for some fat pack reward(s) pre 1.31.