Championing. Worth the ISO? Seems to be!

2»

Comments

• jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    X23 wrote:
    Well, you didn't factor in the opportunity cost. Using ISO on Champion mean less ISO to level the character you actually use.
    True, that's a good point.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    X23 wrote:
    Well, you didn't factor in the opportunity cost. Using ISO on Champion mean less ISO to level the character you actually use.

Do you mean in terms of ISO you get back? Because I did factor that in and you break even.

If you simply mean in general, spending 5000 or more on a single character when you could have given a 4* a level up, or a 3* two levels, well that's true. But it's up to the individual player.

Currently I'm trying to keep hold of 3* characters and build up to 7500 so I can champion the oldest cover I have. By the time I've spent the 300,000 ISO needed to champion every 3* I can start tipping all of my 2* and 3* covers into extra levels and work to getting my ISO back.

I said in another topic that you have a choice like a fork in the road. Either path is helpful to you, it just depends which one you want to take.
  • Mark70
    Mark70 Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I have many maxed 2 and 3 star characters, also a few I haven't maxed. Is it worth it to max them? What is the extra value of the ' prizes'? I am speaking of the 2 stars, for a LT 3 stars seem worth it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mark70 wrote:
    I have many maxed 2 and 3 star characters, also a few I haven't maxed. Is it worth it to max them? What is the extra value of the ' prizes'? I am speaking of the 2 stars, for a LT 3 stars seem worth it.
    The ISO rewards for championing a character are exactly equal to the champion fee and the ISO you would have gotten from selling the covers, so the real question is if the other rewards are worth it?

The rewards are as follows:
    2-Star: 5 Heroic Tokens, three related 3-Star Hero Covers, 250 Hero Points, and 5 Command Points.
    3-Star: 5 Legendary Tokens, three related 4-Star Hero Covers, 1,000 Hero Points and 50 Command Points.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it to level up a two-star just to champion them, but when it comes to three-stars you probably want most of them maxed sooner or later anyway...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will eventually max and champion all my remaining 2*s for the tokens, covers, cp and hp.

But first, I have to finish maxing and champing my 16 remaining 3*s. That will require over 1 million ISO, so that'll keep me busy.

Plus I have three 4*s that need to be maxed and championed.. they each have a 14th cover waiting. IS, XFW and AM. And Elektra is fully covered as well! But no cover waiting currently. I probably won't max all of them in time, but hopefully I can do at least one of them in time.

So I'll have plenty of use for all my ISO in the next 2-3+ months. Plus continuing to level up any 4*s that will be featured in ddq, such as XFDP...
  • After however long since this latest thing has happened, I'm already seeing the expiration date for it, at least for me.

My 2*s are getting close to my 3*s, I'm not magically getting enough ISO to level my 3*s (despite playing PvE and Lightning Rounds), and it hasn't done anything to increase my desire to waste slots that cost money on lower level heroes I don't already have rostered, so I'm still throwing away a ton of cards, just like before.

Frankly, I've actually dropped a couple Level 15 13-cover 2*s to make room for my latest additions to 2-3 pages of single cover 4*s, so I guess I've even reacted contrary to what D3 seems to have been hoping.

Sounds like there are a few that it's really working for, but outside of the next month or two, it won't be doing much for me.

DBC
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where is your ISO going?
  • Selectively it is worth it. It depends on where you stand with your roster. This change favors the well established, inside track players who are in a hot alliance or have deep pockets - which is what I would expect out of D3.

At my level, I have a large number of fully upgraded 3 star characters, as well as a few fully upgraded 2 stars. Generating ISO on a daily basis for me isn't hard. With this, let's not forget that D3 has put an emphasis on the 4 star pantheon. Since I have almost every character from 3 star down ( who I want ) fully covered, I end up selling almost all of my cover prizes. At the 3 star level, it is easy for me to win a cover on the DDQ, and spend the 7500 to make them a champion, and get a purple token to hopefully boost my 4 star roster. At worst case I sell it and get 1000 iso back. From there on, if I get a cover of a 3 star champion ( someone at 167 ), at very worst I can upgrade them 1 more level for free, and get the 500 iso I would have gotten before.

For 2 stars, I've been more selective since now I only use them for DDQ matches. I've upgraded the likes of storm, magneto, thor and the human torch to champions, since for me their covers have been ubiquitous, and at some point they will help me feed my 3 star champions via free covers.

If you have a spotty or sparse roster, of course you're going to have to focus on using the iso to upgrade.

• Frankly, I've actually dropped a couple Level 15 13-cover 2*s to make room for my latest additions to 2-3 pages of single cover 4*s, so I guess I've even reacted contrary to what D3 seems to have been hoping.

DBC

Careful with that. I went with a select number of 4 star characters that I would focus on initially, and then ignored the rest. D3 clearly wants to have some sort of focus on 4 stars, but has yet to communicate what that is. They are harder to collect than the 3 star covers have been, and those were hard enough. Given that in most events they buff 2 3 and 4 star characters ( and have 1 of each as "essential" ), it is easier to have a well upgraded 2 star character than it is to have a bonestock 1 cover 4 star.

At some point if D3 wants to push the 4 star pantheon they will have to make it easier to get them, so for now I stick to collecting 5 or 6 for covers rather than making room for 10 characters, 5 of which are 1 cover bandits.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    With the drought in ISO i think the champions should return more than the initial cost. ISO is more important to me than HP to a certain extent now and it takes a lot of ISO to level a character to max and i prefer to level my 4/5 stars over championing my 3s.

Even though you get the ISO back if you max champion someone it's an investment that takes time and in case of 4stars it takes a lot of time to get back what you have to invest. It would be good to have more ISO returned early.
  • I've noticed that Championed characters can be sold for some HP in addition to ISO. Could someone with a 144 2* say how much ISO/HP they sell for?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Corence wrote:
    I've noticed that Championed characters can be sold for some HP in addition to ISO. Could someone with a 144 2* say how much ISO/HP they sell for?
    17500 ISO, 125 HP. Not a great deal since you need to invest about 60-70K ISO to get them maxed in the first place.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    If your 3* are maxed, it is definitely worth championing it, if only for the first LegToken you get.
    Championing has also given me a feeling of progression, after many months trying to advance into 4* land.

BUT! check thread on general 3* debuff:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40271&start=40

The value of ALL 3* characters has been severely decreased; if you can, you should focus your efforts in 4*.
    Had I known this beforehand, I would not have maxed and championed so many of 3* icon_e_sad.gif
  • Fortran
    Fortran Posts: 4
    A question to the masters of MPQ out there. I have roster with a few 3* champions that I had at 166 when the change occurred. I also have quite a few 3* characters who are around 120-140. Most fully covered, but not at 166 yet. I'm assuming it's a better use of my ISO at the moment to move all of those guys up to 166 (well, not Sentry or whatever, but the good ones) rather than take just one, say Hood, and spend a boat-load of ISO to move him up 20 levels and then champion, right?

I guess part of me wants to feel that "big progress" feel that championing does, but I also know that it's probably not the best use of my ISO.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fortran wrote:
    A question to the masters of MPQ out there. I have roster with a few 3* champions that I had at 166 when the change occurred. I also have quite a few 3* characters who are around 120-140. Most fully covered, but not at 166 yet. I'm assuming it's a better use of my ISO at the moment to move all of those guys up to 166 (well, not Sentry or whatever, but the good ones) rather than take just one, say Hood, and spend a boat-load of ISO to move him up 20 levels and then champion, right?

I guess part of me wants to feel that "big progress" feel that championing does, but I also know that it's probably not the best use of my ISO.

The obvious questions are do you use these other 3*'s often or not and do you have any fully covered 4*'s that would benefit more from your iso?

Personally, I was in the process of levelling my roster when champions showed up so most of mine were 130's and what I have been tending to do is champion the previous pve award so when they reach 166 I already have 4 or more covers to boost them up, it works for me until I get a couple of decent 4* fully covered.
  • Fortran
    Fortran Posts: 4
    Crowl wrote:
    The obvious questions are do you use these other 3*'s often or not and do you have any fully covered 4*'s that would benefit more from your iso?

Personally, I was in the process of levelling my roster when champions showed up so most of mine were 130's and what I have been tending to do is champion the previous pve award so when they reach 166 I already have 4 or more covers to boost them up, it works for me until I get a couple of decent 4* fully covered.

Fully covered 4*? Ha! Yeaaaaahh, not really there. The closest I have is a 2/3/2 Nick Fury, my 4* champ! I'm squarely in the camp of someone with quite a few 4* characters, but each only one or two covers on each. What 4*'s I do have, I've pretty much maxed out what levels I can (save X-force Wolverine because...eh, why?).

I did take the time to champion Falcon and Blade because they are just fun to play together. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    If 4*'s aren't an issue for you then your best bet is to level the 3*'s you use if you do not have multiples of another useful'ish one in your queue e.g. I was levelling my IM40 but have just switched over to the Vision even though I don't use him as often because of the covers from the last pve.
  • likwid6
    likwid6 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Before championing I only had 2~3 chars maxed at 166 (core PVP team) and most other 3*s parked at 120~125. Since the update I've champ'ed quite a few (more regularly used) 3*s based on when covers dropped for me (DDQ or PVP reward) and that's really kick-started my flow of 4*s.

Now that I have about 7-8x 3* champions that I use regularly I find myself being a little more strategic with my ISO usage. Instead of dumping ISO/championing whoever I have covers for next, I'll plan out my ISO usage based on the DDQ/Crash of Titans schedule here to ensure I get the most utility for the ISO spent while maximizing 4* acquisition. (Don't mention hitting 1K in PVP, my scaling is terribad with 3x 5* covers (OML yellow & 2x Phoenix Red) that I won't sell).

Long example after the spoiler. tldr: Use DDQ schedule to plan ISO usage/championing schedule instead of rushing useless chars to max just because you have covers in queue.
    For instance: I'm sitting on 98K ISO and have 4 covers in queue (a 3* Captain Marvel cover and 3x Vision Covers). Both CM & Vision are fully covered (4/5/4 Captain Marvel at lvl125 and 5/4/4 Vision at lvl 78). However, I'll probably sell all 4 covers instead of championing either.

Why?

Because looking at the DDQ schedule coming up I notice a SWitch cover coming up in 3 days (mine is lv 125 and fully covered) and there are 2 Kamala Khan covers (mine is 4/3/5 lv66) in the next 30 days (Yellow KK tomorrow, purple on April 17th). I also see a 4*Jean Grey Clash of Titans in a few days (March 13th) and I'll need 27K ISO to get my 2/2/3 JG to lv147. Also on the back burner is my desire to bring IM40 up to useful levels with the update (he's currently 5/4/4 and lvl40).

Because I only generate about 6-9K ISO a day I realize it's a better use of my ISO to do the following:

Sell the 4x 3* covers I have in queue -THEN-

Get SWitch to 166 and champ her today -THEN-

Get max covers on KK when her yellow cover is rewarded in DDQ tomorrow -THEN-

Gain a LT in 3 days when SWitch cover comes up in DDQ. -THEN-

Hopefully win JG's Clash of Titans in 5 days and get another LT -THEN-

Level KK & IM40 both on a pace that puts KK at lvl 166/champ around when her next DDQ cover drops on April 17th for an LT.

All of that gives me a balance of up obtaining 3 LTs, getting three useful 3*s (SWitch, KK and IM40) to max lvl, while minimizing ISO usage. That seems a much more effective ISO usage and long term benefit than champ'ing two chars (Capt Marvel & Vision) I wouldn't use much because I happened to have covers in queue.