I thought I figured out crashes, but someone else did

Options
The_Leftist
The_Leftist Posts: 224
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Been spending entirely too much time trying to ensure top spot in the competition, and I started picking up on which scenarios caused crashes

All my crashes were on the opponents turn. I then realized it was always happening when an opponents creature died, just not all of them. That's when I figured it out. Everytime an opponents creature killed one of my creatures, if I killed that creature in a turn other than the one they killed it in, the game would crash. Not every time, but most. Then I picked up on the fact that it was happening every time I killed that creature and the opponent hadn't summoned another creature that turn. So all in all....

If an opponents monster kills one of your creatues, and you kill it later, and the opponent hasn't summoned a creature on the turn you kill it, the game crashes.

There are also two scenarios that also cause crashes for me everytime.

Embermaw. If I don't kill him with first strike, the game always crashes. Every single time. Don't know what it is about him, but he is a crash waiting to happen for anyone without 1st strike creatures (or perhaps burn or death spell?).

Also, if the opponent gains control of one of your creatures for a turn, and that creature dies......crash.

So, don't play low health defensive creatures. If you do, you have to use an educated guess as to when the opponent is about to play another creature (rather hard to do) before playing a defender who can kill that creature. Avoid Embermaw at all costs. He is the Devil.

I'm not entirely sure if this works for everyone, but i haven't had anyone crash on an alternate scenario and tell me about it.

In the last 100 or so games I played today, I have been able to call every crash I got, and have been able to avoid a few of them by trying to wait until the opponent is about to play a card (got to hope for a creature. An opponent who plays murder investigation is your best anti-crash friend)

Edit: Turns out reinforced and buffed creatures are causing the crash when they die

Comments

• Agree with the Hellion, I noticed it too. I already mailed the Support but I guess I got a bot answer. AlsoI can't login anymore icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have crashed twice on my own turn, when receiving a card or trying to look at my cards. Both times it involved Titan's Strength going into my hand.

(Not saying you're wrong: just saying it may not be the only issue.)

Good investigating, though. Hopefully that will help at least a little...
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    Hmm. I've yet to have the game crash on my turn. I wonder what could be causing it to do that. What walker were you using when those happened?
  • Almost all my crashes was with Hellion, I think it's a bad coding implementation on the extra 3 damages, but it's just my supposition. Whatever, I can't manage to login.... So no crash atm XD
  • loroku
    Options
    Hmm. I've yet to have the game crash on my turn. I wonder what could be causing it to do that. What walker were you using when those happened?
    Red (hence Titan's Strength). She's otherwise pretty stable for me, though (but my playstyle doesn't allow the enemy to attack much, which may be why I'm avoiding some of the crashes you're finding).
  • paralistalon
    Options
    This report seems very similar to what happened in my last crash- the enemy attacked into my defender and BOOM. I would switch to a different deck to avoid this crashing thing, but I don't want to lose all my ribbons. icon_e_sad.gif
  • I crash a lot whenever embermaw attacks into a creature. When it hits a player no problem, but when it attacks into a creature I crash about 1 out of every four times. It really sucks as embermaw us the anchor of my deck. I built a lot of removal and having him to control creatures.
  • Dreadalus
    Options
    Nice job, Leftist! I had most of the components figured out, but not the whole picture.
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    Hopefully the reason we couldn't get in the game a few minutes ago was because they are fixing it!
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have no actual evidence but overall I have the feeling crashes have more to do with death of reinforced/buffed creatures....
  • Dreadalus
    Options
    There are definitely details outside of Leftist's theory. I noticed a couple of crashes today that didn't fit the pattern, e.g. crashing when killing an opponent's creature with a spell, when it had not even attacked yet.
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    I also just experienced a crash from killing an honored (forgot second part of name) against Nissa. He hadn't killed a creature but reinforced himself. My defender killed him and crash. This doesn't seem to matter as long as it's tokens being reinforced.

Also, great Aurora caused a crash after killing my reinforced creatures. Perhaps I overlooked this part of the theory and just had a string of matches where the opponent was not reinforcing creatures before I killed them, and it just so happened that when a creature did reinforce, they didn't play a creature, causing me to believe that had a part of the equation

Now, it seems as tho you aren't allowed to kill any reinforced creatures. This causes a lot of problems considering the fact that the AI now gets far more mana cascades than normal. I commonly play against opponents who start hitting 25+ mana cascades when they start to become an underdog.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I also just experienced a crash from killing an honored (forgot second part of name) against Nissa. He hadn't killed a creature but reinforced himself. My defender killed him and crash. This doesn't seem to matter as long as it's tokens being reinforced.

Also, great Aurora caused a crash after killing my reinforced creatures. Perhaps I overlooked this part of the theory and just had a string of matches where the opponent was not reinforcing creatures before I killed them, and it just so happened that when a creature did reinforce, they didn't play a creature, causing me to believe that had a part of the equation

Now, it seems as tho you aren't allowed to kill any reinforced creatures. This causes a lot of problems considering the fact that the AI now gets far more mana cascades than normal. I commonly play against opponents who start hitting 25+ mana cascades when they start to become an underdog.
    I thought it was just bad luck/selective memory.... Ai getting so many cascades is getting out of hand sometimes to the point I quit and restart... Double kiran and pia nalaar(a 12/12 + 8/8 flyer) at first round is not something you can handle :/
    Anyways as I supposed looks like reinforced creatures death could be the source of crashes...
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    And for the 1st time so far, the game just crashed on my turn, which was the 3rd.

1st turn, match 5 plus next matches for me Kytheons Irregulars out. Opponent got nothing out 1st turn. Next turn not much for me, but got enough walker points for 1st ability. Opponent got relic seeker out after a match 5, then gave him +1/+1 and flying, so my creature couldn't block. My 3rd turn, I also gave +1/+1 and flying to put me at one more health than his attack, and the game crashed after killing him

If the game is now crashing after Gideon uses his first ability, I foresee a lot more crashing unless you can always kill his creatures with your defender after the turn they come out, assuming they aren't reinforced.

So you were right! Buffing and reinforcing causes crashes

So much for my theory!!!!
  • I play Embermaw a lot with no problems.
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    If I don't kill him with 1st strike immediately, the game crashes for me.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I just started a new match with Chandra. My opponent didn't have anything out yet, and I played Iroas's Champion as my first card. The game instantly crashed.
  • loroku
    Options
    Now, it seems as tho you aren't allowed to kill any reinforced creatures.
    This is not 100% true. Sorry.

There have to be other factors all coming into play because I kill reinforced creatures ALL the time and it never crashes my game - not once. For example: vs. green. She does this nearly every game. White does it a lot, too, especially once he gets board control.

But you may not be entirely wrong: for example, I very rarely kill creatures with other creatures. (I tend to play red.) And I may not have killed any reinforced creatures with another creature. Maybe that's a factor?