Scaling Suggestion

Options
kyrain
kyrain Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
I understand why scaling exists and completely agree with it's presence, but I feel like having good luck has cost me a lot of playability .

It's the age old story. Pulled my very first 5* token, absolutely ecstatic. Jean Grey, THE PHEONIX FORCE IS AT MY COMMAND... *squees uncontrollably*

Only to have my pvp bracket inflated to the point that I can't play pvp effectively anymore.

Rather than whining about it, I have a constructive solution in mind.

If scaling were based on the average level of your top 5 or ten characters, rather than the 3 it currently is it likely would balance more. My highest characters are 270, 130, 114, 104, 103, 102, 101, 100, 100, 99

That would put my average level for scaling at 112, rather than putting me at the top of the 3* transition bracket that I am at now, where my average opponent level in a pvp event is 166+, 166+, and whatever the feature is (could be good or bad).

Even using Jean as a meat shield is only so effective, netting me a 1 in 8 match win ratio in this bracket.

I would likely still struggle from time to time in a tough event (pvp or pve) but would likely make it more balanced a match between skill and luck rather than it being mostly luck at this point for me to get a win.

Just a thought. I don't inherently expect a response from a dev or even a positive reaction from the community. I don't expect to get handed the keys to the "Legendary token in every event" club, just having a fighting chance at placing top 100-200 would be SOLID.

Comments

• kyrain
    Options
    If a dev did want to reach out I have some additional feedback to provide, I just didn't want to write out a novel, you're busy guys.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The better solution would have been to start 5* characters at a lower level than 255 initially, say level 150. That probably can't be changed now so changing the scaling model makes sense. I think they are afraid of averaging the top ten levels due to softcappers, you could max out a team of 3 good characters and run wild in PvE if it was too big of a base to average out. The best option would be to not count 5* characters until you have 5 covers on that character for scaling purposes or something similar. The issue is whether their scaling code can detect the number of covers a hero has. Scaling otherwise I think is ok but yes 5* characters have broken the system. I am sitting on my 2nd 5* character and I am delaying as long as possible to add him (Black OML). I shouldn't really have to dread adding a 5* character to my roster, it is supposed to be something awesome not something that may make the game less fun.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    +1

I got greenflag.png JG Phoenix, and for a while it helped me win Big Enchillada several times. Then came blueflag.png Black Spidey and my games were ruined. Fun became frustration. After reading about scaling, in a move of desperation, I sold my Black Spidey and my PVE became bearable again (though PVP is still a pain in you know where).

It is not so much a matter of getting a 5 star card, it is *which* card you get. With greenflag.png Phoenix, I can only use it as a tank, and only after getting resurrected (IF she got resurrected) she could do some damage. Getting a redflag.png Phoenix will significantly be better than getting a greenflag.png one. The same case with Black Spidey: a greenflag.png Black Spidey worth a hundred (so to speak) blueflag.png ones. I don't mind getting a high scaling with redflag.png Phoenix or greenflag.png Black Spidey; greenflag.png Phoenix and blueflag.png Black Spidey are useless without other colors.

I honestly don't know IF the dev would factor such discrepancies in usefulness of power in real battles; and if they do, HOW would they factor such thing. I'm waiting for the new scaling scheme that the devs promised, to see if I should also sell my greenflag.png Phoenix to gain back the fun factor of playing this game.
  • kyrain
    Options
    Both are good suggestions imo.
  • Darkmoon75
    Options
    I hope they fix this soon. I have 3 5*'s currently ( blackflag.png OML, redflag.png Phoenix and blackflag.png SS) and only 1 cover for each, and I am getting spanked in both PvP and PvE, especially the heroic events. It's almost like the better luck you have at draws the worse you can expect to do.
  • kyrain
    Options
    It wasn't so bad before 5 star characters were introduced, it's just such a substantial jump.
  • kyrain
    Options
    kyrain wrote:
    It wasn't so bad before 5 star characters were introduced, it's just such a substantial jump.

This thread has become a "hot topic" - I want to encourage anyone else with constructive feedback or ideas on how to improve the scaling situation to chime in as this could be a good spot to give the devs some different perspectives. In a respectful and constructive fashion, of course.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I'd put a longer post here. The gist is that by acquiring three 5* characters in a relatively short time, I've went from being a player transitioning easily between 3* and 4* progress to now... the game is a far less enjoyable grind. I am considering deleting all of my 5* characters just so I can enjoy the game again. Something is wrong with the system when I want to delete the most desired covers in the game in order to enjoy the game.

My suggestion would be either a lower starting level on 5* or better yet... actually take covers into account when calculating the power level of a card for scaling. A 255 4* with max covers is way, way strong than a 255 5* with a single cover. It's ridiculous that by having three 5* with one cover that my 3* lineup is now constantly paired against players with multiple max cover 4*s.
  • Heartburn
    Options
    first mistake was making it winnable by low level teams, second was messing up scaling because low level teams won them. i am not sure why scaling exists in this game. but i am more of a mind set for story mode to be progressive rewards only against nodes of a set strength so that is where i'm coming from.

the stronger your team the more progress you make until you max out. i never understood this companies mind set with new releases only for a small % of players to win the new hero. i would of made it so that everyone can win one of each cover that way it is more tempting to max and spend on your favorites( i play MFF they do this for most releases and i spent 3x-4x more then i did on this game in just a few months, i am already vip 7, vs the 1.5yr i spent on this game.) i would of spent way more on this game if i could immediately buy a character i liked.

Naturally, 5 star.png s should be only winnable, preferable, in ant man like release events or maybe a placement event where you need to get a certain score to qualify(puzzle levels that can test your surviability, damage output, and utility) to get access to the ant man release event