Focus on 1 planeswalker or try all?

Options
tomatus89
tomatus89 Posts: 66 Match Maker
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi all,
What do you recommend? Try to level up just one or two planeswalkers or try to evenly level all of them? Right now I have them all at lvl 18. But I am not sure if I should just continue with one or two. I wanted to level all at least to 26 to unlock the 3rd ability, but the grinding is too much...
What is your strategy?

Comments

• I would move this to strategy.

To answer your question, I would get them all to L20 for level 2 of their second ability then focus on leveling one that you like or just stop there to see what changes in forthcoming update. At this point, and with a few good cards, you can finish Chapter 2 without trouble. Chapter 3 and Heroic Encounters is where you'll start having a little trouble unless you've acquired some really good rares/mythics.

I've been using a L20 Jace bounce/denial deck (Harbinger of the Tides (R), Anchor to the Aether (U), Disperse (U), Jace's Sanctum (R), Sphinx's Tutelage (U), Day's Undoing (M)...) since Chapter 2 as my primary; L26 Gideon for HP-related objectives (or sometimes L20 Liliana). My L20 Nissa has proved quite efficient/quick for Speed objectives. Chandra I used with Gideon when I first started playing but I hardly use her anymore, though I have her at L32.
  • I would not do any levelling until we see what the game looks like after the update. It may be advantageous to have a low-level PW.
  • I leveled up my Chandra to 50 by doing story mode and using daily rewards. After my Chandra hit 50 I started to use my runes for Gideon, who is now lvl 22. However I stopped leveling him since it goes way to slow (no more daily rewards and no more story mode missions available). Nissa, Jace and Liliana are all between lvl 1-10 (just tried them out for fun).

Now I'm just using my lvl 50 Chandra to grind out all the story objectives for gems. But hopefully there we be new way to earn runes because only 50 at a times is just too slow to level up multiple walkers icon_e_confused.gif
  • tomatus89
    tomatus89 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I think I'll get them all to lvl 20 and stop there for now to see what the update brings. And then focus on one to be able to finish the story. But I have no idea which one to choose...
  • Use the planeswalker that you have cards for.

I'd also suggest buying them before Hibernum realizes their mistake in making them only 10 crystals =D
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    pandabear wrote:
    Use the planeswalker that you have cards for.

I'd also suggest buying them before Hibernum realizes their mistake in making them only 10 crystals =D

Yeah, I had the same thought and decided to buy all the available PWs. I started less than a week ago, and I'm playing at a more casual pace (since I'm more of a hardcore Marvel Puzzle Quest player).
  • pandabear wrote:
    Use the planeswalker that you have cards for.

Yeah, I can totally see a price change, given that manacrystal.png s cost way too much relative to packs and Planeswalkers cost way too little relative to what you get.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've done it both ways. On my phone, I concentrated on just one planeswalker (Nissa) and beat all of the levels when she was around level 40+. On my iPad, I leveled up all of the planeswalkers, and beat all of the levels when the strongest ones were in the mid-20's.

Between the two strategies, I would recommend spreading out the various planeswalkers. Each walker has different strengths and weaknesses. The most useful generally are Chandra (because she can do direct damage) and Gideon (because he can pump creatures / gain life). But Jace has really good removal with the ability to bounce creatures or turn them into a frog. And Nissa can ramp your mana, pump your creatures, and draw cards.

In general, you're much off with a weak planeswalker and a strong deck of cards than a strong planeswalker and a weak deck of cards. With this game, you don't know where your strong cards are going to come from. There are really good cards in white, red, blue, green and black. If you only concentrate on one planeswalker, you could pull a great card and have no deck to put it into.

I also think that playing the different walkers makes you a better player, because you can see a lot of different strategies, and you're more familiar with the various play styles when you face certain decks.