Low Tier 3* vs Low Tier 4*

justplainchips
justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in Roster and Level Help
In general, if you were a 3* transitioner, and you had to pick between a low tier 3* and a low tier 4*, who would you keep?

First, here's the situation: I'm in the 3* transition. I have a roster of 9 maxed (and now championed) 2*s and most of the 3*s at all different levels. (My roster link is below and was updated today)
For the championing fun I went through all of my non-taco tokens knowing full well that I'd have a few extra covers that I'd have to abandon. I was pretty happy with my results and now choices on cutting are coming up.
I have 13 days to decide. Right now I have 2 open spots. It is likely that I'll get enough HP to open another spot in the next 2 weeks.

A few thoughts based on the list below:
I'm pretty sure I should keep Daredevil, he's the one guy leaning towards mid tier.
One idea I had was to wait on the next Champion level of Hawkeye for some point in the future when I have a spot for Iron Man. Though I have 3 HE covers that will expire in 13 days as well. Also, would I really want 3 yellow for IM40? (I'm not sure I'm in a position to really worry about it, though I do like planning for the future)

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm really hitting the bottom of the barrel with characters that won't be used other than for DDQ and Essential nodes. And it's DDQ that is leading me to think I should keep the 3*s first.

Here are the covers I have in roughly what I understand to be better to worse order.

icon_daredevil.pngredflag.png
icon_ironman.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.png (+1 more coming from my next Hawkeye Champion level)
icon_sentry.pngredflag.pnggreenflag.png
icon_psylocke.pngredflag.pngblackflag.png
icon_spiderman.pngpurpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblueflag.png
icon_ragnarok.pngblueflag.png

icon_starlord.pngyellowflag.png
icon_invisiblewoman.pngyellowflag.png

Thanks for any and all help. Please ask questions if you want/need any clarification on anything.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    part of this is where I am in the game (mid-late 4* transition), but I value those bottom 4*s way more than the 3* characters you list. I use im40 (kept at 2 yellow) to feed others, and sometimes throw a low level sentry at a trivial node. other than that I use none of those characters (but still have them). mainly 2 reasons I'd keep the 4*s over the 3*s: 4* ddq, and pve essentials. you're not close enough for the 4* ddq to matter (well, 1 yellow on IW actually gives you a chance there), but the main vehicle to better your 3* roster is pve. 3*s rotate around much more often than you'll pull 4* from tokens and from your question, I'm guessing you're not regularly hitting 1K in pvp, so I'd keep the 4*s and catch the 3*s next time. at a minimum keep the IW yellow because for her 4*ddq, she can go inviz and win with only yellow (but its boring and long - its how I won first rotation). starlords abilities are actually not bad, but it what makes him bottom tier is that they're tied to cds.
  • justplainchips
    Thanks for the response.
    TxMoose wrote:
    part of this is where I am in the game (mid-late 4* transition), but I value those bottom 4*s way more than the 3* characters you list. I use im40 (kept at 2 yellow) to feed others, and sometimes throw a low level sentry at a trivial node. other than that I use none of those characters (but still have them). mainly 2 reasons I'd keep the 4*s over the 3*s: 4* ddq, and pve essentials. you're not close enough for the 4* ddq to matter (well, 1 yellow on IW actually gives you a chance there), but the main vehicle to better your 3* roster is pve.
    More so than DDQ? Because of the new reward structure?
    TxMoose wrote:
    3*s rotate around much more often than you'll pull 4* from tokens and from your question,in pvp,
    That is definitely one thing that has me questioning things. Basically rarity of the tokens vs the extra cover, taco token, and 2000+ ISO from DDQ every 40 days.
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'm guessing you're not regularly hitting 1K in pvp,
    Correct
    TxMoose wrote:
    so I'd keep the 4*s and catch the 3*s next time. at a minimum keep the IW yellow because for her 4*ddq, she can go inviz and win with only yellow (but its boring and long - its how I won first rotation). starlords abilities are actually not bad, but it what makes him bottom tier is that they're tied to cds.
    Very interesting thought about IW. That is definitely a point in her favor.

Thanks again!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    actually I count ddq as a given. in the competitive side of the game, you won't be doing much in pvp yet, but pve scaling shouldn't be too tough for you unless you've pulled a 5* or two, so you should be able to do ok in pve.
  • I would say, out of those picks, keep Iron Man 40 yellow (but just one of them, because I like to use him more as a pure red feeder then a red/blue feeder), and Invisible Woman Yellow (because she can win her DDQ with only that)

Although I am sorta in a similar spot, and I kinda want to roster everything since I'm sick of missing out on the 4* reward in the Gauntlet because I don't have a Quicksilver, so I'm just not opening tokens until I got another roster slot ready.

It's kinda dull but it is fun to actually go on a token-spree, at least.
  • justplainchips
    TxMoose wrote:
    actually I count ddq as a given. in the competitive side of the game, you won't be doing much in pvp yet, but pve scaling shouldn't be too tough for you unless you've pulled a 5* or two, so you should be able to do ok in pve.
    Ahh. Okay, sure. I was asking since this is a choice between access to the DDQ or a 4*. But in reality it is missing out on only a few DDQs over the cycle and missing out on the worst covers.
    I do have one LT, but I've held off on opening it simply because of the chance of a 5* messing up my pve scaling. icon_e_smile.gif
    colwag wrote:
    I would say, out of those picks, keep Iron Man 40 yellow (but just one of them, because I like to use him more as a pure red feeder then a red/blue feeder), and Invisible Woman Yellow (because she can win her DDQ with only that)
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    colwag wrote:
    Although I am sorta in a similar spot, and I kinda want to roster everything since I'm sick of missing out on the 4* reward in the Gauntlet because I don't have a Quicksilver, so I'm just not opening tokens until I got another roster slot ready.

It's kinda dull but it is fun to actually go on a token-spree, at least.
    Yeah, I'm definitely pretty good at being a token hoarder. So I'm going to start hoarding again until I have more slots. But every once in a while something makes me open a bunch. Champions was the latest reason and I think it was a worthy reason!