Story mode: bad achievement designs

pressatobegin
pressatobegin Posts: 20
The story mode has achievements like take x damage, lose x creatures, and other things that are achieved by doing poorly or at least by the opposing deck doing well. That's the opposite of an achievement and should not be the condition for rewards.

For a lot of them, I'd basically have to go back into the story as a very high level planeswalker and not cast any creature spells whatsoever, until the damage threshold or minimum # of turns is achieved, and that's unfun.

Please revise story achievements so that they emphasize the player achieving something (kill x creatures is fine, as is winning in x or fewer rounds). It's annoying to see these things reward so highly by forcing the player to contrive a losing scenario.

Comments

• Some of these are hard to pull off for certain types of decks. Playing as Chandra with the cards I've opened from packs and having an appropriate creature-based deck, how can I be expected to play a 20 round game without killing the opponent or being killed beforehand.

I literally had a one hour game just to get to round 20 by only playing cards with defender and slowly burning with my hero power. Probably wasn't worth the grind.

Instead, why not make some fun achievements such as summon at 10+ cost creature or achieve a five-mana burst or fill your entire board. Something achievable in most decks.
  • I agree with this wholeheartedly! Yesterday, I tried to complete the "kill 6 enemy creatures" mission against Guardian of Meletis. So of course I use Chandra and sit back without casting any spells. After more than 100 turns, I came to believe that this opponent only has ONE creature spell in his entire deck, a Chief of the Foundry, and 9 support spells. I went almost 50 turns of just waiting for him to cast another creature, eventually just giving up. I guess this fits the definition of one of those achievements whose sole purpose is to be painfully annoying to accomplish, but I don't like them when the only reason I'm doing them is to farm crystals.

A later challenge of the same sort had me fight a planeswalker who had a ton of creature buff supports so it was very hard for me to kill the few creatures he did summon. I suppose there was some thought in this challenge as it actually was fairly difficult to achieve. I don't know, it seems like the challenges were picked randomly most of the time.