Daily Card Discussion: Starfield of Nyx

Options
void
void Posts: 65
edited December 2015 in MtGPQ Tips & Guides
Starfield of Nyx, 20 mana, Support, White, Mythic
- At the beginning of your turn the last support you control that was destroyed is returned to the battlefield. If you control 5 or more supports all creatures you control gain +5/5.

I love this card. I have never played it.

It is a Mythic card that demands a high level Gideon to play and that pushes the Planeswalker into a direction it is not comfortable with. It is a perfect example of a good Mythic providing a framework for a deck. It gives Gideon a way to play something other than a minion-focused deck. There are quite a few of cards with support synergy in White already like Blessed Spirits that provide another way to build a deck. A deck that works!

Mythics like this are the ones that keep the game interesting instead of auto-includes like Days Undoing and Demonic Pact.

Also feel free to post your own Daily Card threads or shoot me with suggestions, I don't want to spam the forums.

Comments

• I didn't like it when I tried it. I don't have all the best supports like Suppression Bonds. Also making a mythic card that requires a level 45 Gideon to use is kinda mean.
  • Well it's a build-around-me Mythic. At least it's not Lilianna, who is pretty much unplayable at any reasonable pace until level 26 and up icon_razz.gif

That being said there are plenty of cheap, efficient white Support cards that I could see making this work. Between Murder Investigation, Jayendae Tome, Suppresion Bonds, the Painlands and specially Knightly Valor (Free dude included) you can mount a behemoth of a board. The better part is that having support cards on white here is very beneficial, since you can match them repeatedly and they would eventually come back.

Now the likelihood of you being able to set up such a board before getting ran over by Green/White/Red or locked down by Blue/Black is another thing entirely. I am WAAAAY far from the level 45 mark and have yet to even see the full card list and I'd rather not spoil myself entirely, always fun to find a new surprise uncommon or rare that suddenly makes things better
  • void
    void Posts: 65
    Options
    SwapGoTron wrote:
    Well it's a build-around-me Mythic. At least it's not Lilianna, who is pretty much unplayable at any reasonable pace until level 26 and up.
    To be honest, this could actually work pretty well in a support heavy Blightcaster Black deck. There are a lot of cards in this game that don't quite find their home in the colour they've been assigned to, maybe it's because they're planning on releasing multi land Planeswalkers or maybe they just don't know how their game works. That being said I love "durdly" cards like Nyx.
    Now the likelihood of you being able to set up such a board before getting ran over by Green/White/Red or locked down by Blue/Black is another thing entirely. I am WAAAAY far from the level 45 mark and have yet to even see the full card list and I'd rather not spoil myself entirely, always fun to find a new surprise uncommon or rare that suddenly makes things better
    Yeah. The amount of build-up this card requires is simply way too much for the effect as Gideon needs a board to function. Maybe with Suppression Bonds - Swift Reckoning combo you could control the board while building your supports but right now playing from your hand slowly is simply not a viable option for White.
  • I looked at it and my problem is by the time it is out and doing useful things (requires you to at least spend 40 mana or so) you could've just rolled them with any combination of creatures + vigilance + shrouding mist.

Anytime I see a big support like that, I usually am in love with their effect, then realize pretty quickly that the game is over faster if you simply don't use it.

Ones like Demonic Tutor, Starfield, Pyro's Goggles, all have extremely strong effects that really in the current meta aren't useful, because of the opportunity cost for the many more efficient creatures.

If you do get them out (esp with something gamechanging like that mythic jailer) it certainly works, but then you realize its been like 12 turns lol when you could've just had an angel of tithes swinging for 9 each turn.

The only support combo that I have seen win games (rather than simply stall and control) is Thopter Network + Angelic Tomb, wins just as fast if not faster than any creature based deck.