Oscorp Heroic Mode

Comments

• I'm going to buck the trend here a bit and not complain about the difficulty of Oscorp Heroic Mode. Instead I'd like to discuss the fun.

For the record, I can beat all the 230/230/230 missions in this event. By happy luck my two highest level characters, my only 141s, are SpiderMan and Grey Suit Black Widow. So in that sense I'm sitting pretty. I can combine up with Wolverine and win any of these fights. I haven't been using boosts at all and while I've had some characters and teams killed out I haven't gone through *too* many health packs. So I'll say the event is challenging but not impossible.

What 230/230/230 fights are not, however, is fun. I have to approach every fight in this event the exact same way. I must get and maintain stunlock with Spiderman or lose. That's it. That's the only viable strategy given the characters available. This means each match is decided in the opening few moves. If blue is plentiful I win, if it's not I get stomped. Since getting hit often means near insta-kill I'll often retreat and use Spiderheals in an easy prologue missions before returning to try the 230/230/230 again. And again, the victory or loss is determined largely by starting board layout and the first few moves. After that it's just a tedious retreat-heal or a tedious maintain-stunlock-infinitely exercise. There are no meaningful or interesting choices. There is no strategy. There is no excitement or drama or tension. It's the least interesting MPQ gameplay I've ever experienced. I didn't mind the 230/230/230 fights in the Thick as Thieves event because I could at least approach those with a variety of characters. I had fun beating up 230's Maggia Muscle using sub-level-30 board control characters. I had fun getting a feel for how Patch tears things up. It was groovy. This Heroic Osborn is horribly repetitive and a complete stinker though. I definitely lust after some of the top prizes but I'm not sure I can make myself endure the tedium of placing highly. I know I could do it, I know have the roster for it, I know have the time for it this week. I may however have actual fun things to do with my life instead of this grind.
  • I'm currently at 3k points. If anyone else has a newer account <10 days old and is experiencing nothing but level 20 and under enemies let me know. I'm expecting this to get worked out at the first mission reset but if it doesn't I'll be sitting pretty for some undeserved rewards.
  • The 2nd level, Daken, went down to 65-ish. Everything else is 230.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Why is it that I'm getting the same amount of points as scrubs using one stars and beating fights in 2 minutes, when I have to take 10 minutes to beat a single 230/230/230 fight with my team that's 70/50/40?

Can this game NOT be a time sink, please? Difficult doesn't have to mean longer. Difficult can just be challenging. If you're going to make me beat 230s with a team that has an average level of 53, at least make it worth my while. Or give me more enjoyable options than an infinite loop. This game is fun, but I don't poop enough to be putting 3 more hours into it than usual.

Oh, and I found an infinite loop that lets me utterly crush enemies. :D
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX -- Can Capt America, Magneto, Bagman, The Hood, or Wolverine X-Force be unlocked for these missions?

None of the offered characters can get rid of countdown timers. The only board control possible at the moment is for Spiderman to stunlock everyone, and that's the worst possible way to introduce Daredevil's abilities.

Capt America would likely work best with Daredevil. He has a much better synergy than Spiderman.

Also, to be friendlier on Color -- Hulk, Punisher, Patch, Ares, and Modern Storm all have colors that would work well with Daredevil.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    All three of GSBW's abilities eliminate countdown tiles.
  • So what...was the strategy in the last heroic? Seems like 4-5 iterations before going down to 1 point. I'm assuming a reset in 8-12 hours? Just rinse and repeat?
  • bonerang wrote:
    I'm currently at 3k points. If anyone else has a newer account <10 days old and is experiencing nothing but level 20 and under enemies let me know. I'm expecting this to get worked out at the first mission reset but if it doesn't I'll be sitting pretty for some undeserved rewards.

Thanks for pointing this out bonerang, it certainly answers my questions on the leaders in my bracket. Hopefully this can all get sorted out quickly.
  • IceIX -- Can Capt America, Magneto, Bagman, The Hood, or Wolverine X-Force be unlocked for these missions?

None of the offered characters can get rid of countdown timers. The only board control possible at the moment is for Spiderman to stunlock everyone, and that's the worst possible way to introduce Daredevil's abilities.

Capt America would likely work best with Daredevil. He has a much better synergy than Spiderman.

Also, to be friendlier on Color -- Hulk, Punisher, Patch, Ares, and Modern Storm all have colors that would work well with Daredevil.

I just want a tank. Captain A is good enough though not choice. Just any1 to stand up and take a few hits.
    My tanks ATM are seriously GWBS and spidey. Like ****? Hehe
  • Nemek
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    bonerang wrote:
    I'm currently at 3k points. If anyone else has a newer account <10 days old and is experiencing nothing but level 20 and under enemies let me know. I'm expecting this to get worked out at the first mission reset but if it doesn't I'll be sitting pretty for some undeserved rewards.

Thanks for pointing this out bonerang, it certainly answers my questions on the leaders in my bracket. Hopefully this can all get sorted out quickly.

You know it's been so long I can hardly remember. I swear there was actually a new set of missions every day of the previous heroics, but it kind of looks like all of the mission are available from the start for this one. I want to say it used to be you'd get like 5 missions, then 2 of those are repeatable for a day. Then, a new five missions with a couple repeatables. Doesn't quite look like what's going to happen here, though.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    bonerang wrote:

My account is old (today was daily reward 100 for me) but all of my missions are under level 20 so far. I did not so good in the last PVE (only got 1 DD cover). Not sure why I am gifted with these easy missions.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    bonerang wrote:

You know it's been so long I can hardly remember. I swear there was actually a new set of missions every day of the previous heroics, but it kind of looks like all of the mission are available from the start for this one. I want to say it used to be you'd get like 5 missions, then 2 of those are repeatable for a day. Then, a new five missions with a couple repeatables. Doesn't quite look like what's going to happen here, though.

I don't remember well. I just remember that whenever bag lady got introduced that was my favorite Pve event. Not because if the rewards. But the mechanics behind it seemed to work very well.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2014
    I still feel like im being punished for doing the earlier missions first: why do levels scale across the board? Only increasing the levels of the mission you just played feels a lot more intuitive and understandable. Granted you would actually have to maintain state for all the missions so this isnt a 100% trivial change, but i cant imagine replacing a single difficulty variable with an array would be that difficult. Its probably too late in the day to push out a patch that did that though, so this is probably a moot point.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Nemek wrote:
    Nick-Fury wrote:
    bonerang wrote:

I don't remember well. I just remember that whenever bag lady got introduced that was my favorite Pve event. Not because if the rewards. But the mechanics behind it seemed to work very well.

Wasn't that Red ISO, second run?
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    2hrs of playing and I have 790 pts to show for it... Lv230 opponents with no boosted characters besides DD makes this a chore.

Btw, besides the first daken mission, the rest ate still lv230 for me. Restarted device and everything...
  • Nemek
    Kelbris wrote:

Wasn't that Red ISO, second run?

Yup, IW was Red ISO second run.
  • @kelbris I was thinking unstable ISO so you are probably correct b
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well my first battle is now down to 33. Second battle 144. For everything else there's Master...

..no wait, 230s everywhere else! Still, itis an improvement
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if the points are going to ramp up on subsequent days: with there being 3k points per resetish, 50k points seems pretty damn hard to get.
  • Some enemies went down in levels, but others remained unbeatable

While I sit on 200 points, the top guy has 1400+ already and his max char is a lvl 39 IM35, I love how funbalanced this event is

As I remarked once already... at least there's no rubberbanding in this event, so at least we don't have a chance to catch up thanks to this error (I dearly hope it is one) icon_e_biggrin.gif