Level thresholds?

Tryke
Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I have my heroes softcapped at 94 to stay in line with my maxed 2*s.

I see some people mentioning taking their 3*s to 104, 120, 140. Are there specific reasons these levels are chosen in particular? Are there certain iso cost breakpoints or scaling breakpoints or is it just arbitrary?

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure about 104, but I was told by my ex-alliance members that 70, 94, 120, 140, 166 were the scaling thresholds. No idea what the thresholds are beyond 166.

edit: 120 and 140 is also handy for pvp, as that's when the characters are boosted to 200
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Makes a lot of sense thank you. Is there somewhere I can read up on this? Something subtle like this provides a lot of hidden problems if you don't know about it.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    120 is where 3* levels start getting a lot more expensive.
  • 120 is where 3* levels start getting a lot more expensive.

Is that the only reason people pause levelling there or is it somewhere scaling changes a lot too? I'm currently sitting at 114 for a lot of my characters, but if there aren't any major difficulty changes going to 120, I might as well do that.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Starsaber wrote:

Is that the only reason people pause levelling there or is it somewhere scaling changes a lot too? I'm currently sitting at 114 for a lot of my characters, but if there aren't any major difficulty changes going to 120, I might as well do that.

You shouldn't really see a big change just going up 6 levels especially if you are doing it across the board. If you see an uptick your roster will be able to handle it. I'm pretty sure the 102 cap was so that 2*s can still tank for the 3*s.

And for some toons it just isn't worth taking past 120 due to the costs and their underpowered/underwhelming powers but they still hit 200 when boosted typically.

On the 3* front, I see 3 tiers. Those core toons like cyclops, IF, scarlet witch who should be leveled to 166. The B Team of toons that are good especially when boosted that can be taken to 140 to get a little extra juice from and those you should just leave at 120.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I keep all the **** 3* at 120 (and the figure comes from iso costs - till 120 it's in 3 digits to raise the level). I have a certain amount of top ones at 166 and I am slowly working towards having as many as I can there. Why - they are useful to get 1k in PVP when they are boosted. But I don't rush it - I pump couple of levels when they are actually boosted (so let's say doc oct from 120 to 125-130 when he is boosted and I will revisit him the next time he is around).

I should probably hoard more Iso but my 4* and 5* are too far from being cornerstone of my PVP teams.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    as others have said, 120 is where 3* leveling costs go up. 140 is popular because that puts the character at level 200 when boosted and 245 when featured in pvp, which is more mental (but still effective), but the solid characters can go to 140 and the best 166. that is what I've done and it has worked out well.
  • Pongie
    So everyone agrees on the thresholds below 166.

How about above that? 180, 200, 220, 250?
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Pongie wrote:

I've been curious about this as well. I've seen a HUGE variety of levels of JGs and HBs lately doing events ranging from 200 up to max level. It is usually just those toons though. I almost never see a Rulk not max level for example.

My guess, if you are wanting to minimize scaling of 4*s over a 3* team, you would want to keep them around 200 to 220 so even buffed they wouldn't exceed a buffed/featured 3* team. Would be good to hear from someone with more experience with that though since I'm going to probably finally spend a little money on covering out a 4* or 2.
  • kwmXXTJ.jpg

Found this image a while ago in a spreadsheet of someone. I guess it is relevant
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:

About a year ago lots of people kept their X-force Wolverines at level 221 or below since that allowed three-stars to tank for him. So that's one magic threshhold at least.
  • Pongie
    I recent too my imhb to level 200 and I have noticed the new venom bomb pve event starting levels are higher now. It's 240 where as before they would be 200.