How to reduce the mob levels in Thick as Thieves

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I think I have read somewhere in the Thick as Thieves thread about reducing the mobs' levels as they go higher, but I can't seem to find the post again (it's 48 pages!)

So, how can I reduce their levels as they go higher and higher? I am getting stuck with even the first few battles of each event... icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Retreat - a lot. It may take 5-10 times to do one wave of reduction. Do as many waves as you have to to reduce the opponents to manageable, and you may have to do it a few times during a cycle.

Use a supplied character if you can - the current sub has two provided in the first mission, so it's perfect. Use those three plus one of your scrubs and retreat over and over and over.
  • Great! Thanks a lot! But it seems like I need a lot of scrubs to do that! hahaha.
    Anyway thanks! going to work on the retreat
  • cweiguan wrote:
    Great! Thanks a lot! But it seems like I need a lot of scrubs to do that! hahaha.
    Anyway thanks! going to work on the retreat

You do - I've knocked out 5 or 6 guys retreating; more when there were fewer supplied guys.
  • We should not be obligated to be killed on purpose or retreat just to be able to play. It is insane!
  • I don't think they intend you to retreat. I think you're supposed to get stuck until you can level enough to finish.
  • aboudreau wrote:
    I don't think they intend you to retreat. I think you're supposed to get stuck until you can level enough to finish.

But how can I level up if I can't fight to win ISO? Just buying? If so, this is not anymore a free to play game.

And the PVE should be for everyone to play, beginners and pros. Now a begginer goes through 2 sub-events and thats it. The others will be unplayable unless spend money to level or die on purpose/retreat.

I don't like to brag, but this PVE is all wrong.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Retreating 5 times will reduce the enemy levels by 1 notch (which is 5-10 levels typically). For efficiency, you should retreat level 1 1*s until theyre downed and 2*s until they are about to, but haven't yet died, since the revive timer is harsher for 2*+
  • aboudreau wrote:
    I don't think they intend you to retreat. I think you're supposed to get stuck until you can level enough to finish.

But how can I level up if I can't fight to win ISO? Just buying? If so, this is not anymore a free to play game.

And the PVE should be for everyone to play, beginners and pros. Now a begginer goes through 2 sub-events and thats it. The others will be unplayable unless spend money to level or die on purpose/retreat.

I don't like to brag, but this PVE is all wrong.

The sense of entitlement in the F2P genre is out of control. I have not sunk a dime into this game, and I started to feel like the only way to "win" was to pay.

Then I realized, I've put over 50 hours of play into the game. I've had a ton of fun doing it too. We should be thankful for such an enjoyable game, even if we don't have the shiniest prizes and highest level guys.
  • Aye, CaptainLuther - even if you paid $5 for the cheapest pack, that's not bad for 50 hours, compared to a night at the movies, or even other video games...

Anyway, you're not necessarily stuck. You can -always- replay anything in the Prologue at the absolute, absolute worst. (And that's pretty bad - several minutes play just for 20 ISO.) But even so, you can easily play other tournaments. And there's always Venom runs to heal your 1*s and 2*s to the point that you can have them retreat in TaT again, until you finally get the levels back down to manageable. It's simply a matter of time.
  • Thank god bravely default for the 3ds is almost out. I'm pretty much done with this game now. This game punishes you for getting it.
  • I discovered this strategy by accident, and retreated my way to 1st place in my pod yesterday.