Respec option in the works? Dev read please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Then they can keep their respec feature. Worst case scenario, I'll just rebuild a character from scratch but there is no way I would pay money to change my characters ability! Even if I got the HP for free.
  • I hope this doesn't cost HP. I can understand paying some ISO-8 to reset my hero into separate covers but not paying money to do it. Ideally they would offer you a cover/covers you are missing after respec for a reasonable ISO-8 price rather than buying it or hoping for it via usual rewards but that probably would be asking for too much.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi, Liaomiao!

Thanks for the note. Re-spec is one of our most requested features (including internally to the team here), and we like making changes that everybody wants.

We have a design for it, and it's at the top of our backlog, but we can't give you an ETA. Bear in mind that, in addition to all the usual uncertainty of software development, for changes that require an app update, like this one, there's a long and unpredictable lead time between when we develop a feature and when it's in your hands.

We'll continue to make balance improvements in the meantime - both changes that make characters stronger and those that make them weaker - because balance issues are too important to the experience to leave them alone for that long. We'll try to keep you informed of our plans in that department, like we're doing here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2079

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2094#p29438

This can't be at the backlog, this has to be #1 priority, especially with the slew of buffs and nerfs incoming. In fact, this should be before any nerfs or buffs to allow players to adjust. I read the posts, I like how it will probably work, allowing you to swap one cover with another if you are maxed out, but this needs to have been done yesterday. Please, Please, get this out ASAP like within the next 30-60 days, there needs to be an ETA
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Hi, Liaomiao!

Thanks for the note. Re-spec is one of our most requested features (including internally to the team here), and we like making changes that everybody wants.

We have a design for it, and it's at the top of our backlog, but we can't give you an ETA. Bear in mind that, in addition to all the usual uncertainty of software development, for changes that require an app update, like this one, there's a long and unpredictable lead time between when we develop a feature and when it's in your hands.

We'll continue to make balance improvements in the meantime - both changes that make characters stronger and those that make them weaker - because balance issues are too important to the experience to leave them alone for that long. We'll try to keep you informed of our plans in that department, like we're doing here:

This can't be at the backlog, this has to be #1 priority, especially with the slew of buffs and nerfs incoming. In fact, this should be before any nerfs or buffs to allow players to adjust. I read the posts, I like how it will probably work, allowing you to swap one cover with another if you are maxed out, but this needs to have been done yesterday. Please, Please, get this out ASAP like within the next 30-60 days, there needs to be an ETA

#1 on the backlog means they are going to finish their current project(s) and then, the next project is Respec.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I also can't imagine it being the number 1 priority. It'd certainly be nice, but I'm not personally in a frenzy about it.
  • Nemek wrote:
    I also can't imagine it being the number 1 priority. It'd certainly be nice, but I'm not personally in a frenzy about it.

I think it's a customer service thing. They adjust the characters and suddenly people are upset. It's not like the Loki nerf where very few people had him. C.Storm nerf nearly caused a riot. The strike tile nerf got way more attention than it deserved. Threaten to adjust Thor and it's immediately a nerf, nevermind that nobody knows what to expect. If the change makes playing the game more fun, then I'm all for it. I'm of the opinion that Thor is slightly underpowered and any adjustments they do will be an improvement. People will be upset that their meta has been altered.
  • zhadum wrote:
    zhadum wrote:
    Let's not forget that their idea of balance is to take anything they think is too strong and make it completely worthless.

Yesterday I was reading a player-made summary of character changes we've made:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2292

What counts as a "buff" and what counts as a "nerf" is often arguable, but more changes that we make fall in the first category than the second. There will always be louder reactions to nerfs: we human beings feel losses more acutely than gains, and it's not always as easy to see what's been gained when an overpowered ability or character is weakened as it is to see what's been lost.

And yet, when you look at that list it basically makes my point for me. The ones on the list of nerfs were front line characters that many people were using - and they were destroyed so completely that the only time you see them in any quantity are when the event has a buff on them. The list of buffed characters are almost all 3rd stringers you only ever saw being used when they were buffed by an event - and after the changes, they are still 3rd stringers that nobody uses. The only exception there is Spider man - where you took a completely worthless ability and made it worth something - but then nobody uses Spider Man for his purple, he is used for his cheap stuns and heals (which I'm sure you are working on nerfing to oblivion soon enough)

I was one of the "victim" who invested quite a sum of money (and time) into Rag. Was so pissed when devs nerf him that i sent a few tickets just to vent my anger n frustration. Wasn't using really nice words in most of it. But let's just take a step back and look at the real picture them devs trying to present us. From what i see, they wanted to make this into something "real" as in those comics or movies we watched. Which superheroes/villians does not have weaknesess? He/she could not be all that mighty and helps u win 8-9 out of 10 battles. It's all about balancing n strategies. I accepted Rag's nerf and now i try to make him as useful as possible by teaming him up with some other covers that needed to be "fed" with green tiles. Strategize man
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Hi, Liaomiao!

I'm fine with top of the backlog, personally.

The dev team's #1 priority is to do work that will accrete to the bottom line (i.e., make them money). If they feel (and have the data to support the opinion) that adding new characters and content will make them enough money to offset the number of people that ragequit every time an OP skill gets nerfed, then them's the breaks. Because nobody's going to be adding new anything -- features, content, etc. -- if MPQ starts losing money.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

I think it's a customer service thing. They adjust the characters and suddenly people are upset. It's not like the Loki nerf where very few people had him. C.Storm nerf nearly caused a riot. The strike tile nerf got way more attention than it deserved. Threaten to adjust Thor and it's immediately a nerf, nevermind that nobody knows what to expect. If the change makes playing the game more fun, then I'm all for it. I'm of the opinion that Thor is slightly underpowered and any adjustments they do will be an improvement. People will be upset that their meta has been altered.
    If you think Thor is underpowered now, what makes you think their pending Thor adjustments will be an improvement? Based on the Rag nerf and how Thor relates to Rag now, it would be nonsensical if any Thor change was anything but a nerf. It might make the game more fun in the sense that there might be more diversity at the 2* spot, but it won't be because Thor got stronger.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The logic of these threads makes me sad for humanity.

Allowing us to collect 15 covers and respec at will will increase the variety of builds you see
    How does that work? Currently you are limited to whatever you built, so as powers and combinations change builds will change, so you will face a mix of builds depending on cover luck and when a character was built. If people could respec at will then you should only ever face the optimal spec for a character, reducing variety.

Respec should be your highest priority
    Because why? Apart from your neediness, what difference does it make? We know it is in the works, so it doesn't prevent you from playing the game or applying the covers you have now and knowing that your decisions aren't permanent. It's a very good thing to have but it isn't a need because it isn't broken now.

None of the nerfs to date have meant that a completely different character build is required, especially when most of them have affected 2 colour characters.

if a character is buffed or nerfed and isn't used except when boosted then you screwed up
    There are over 30 character covers. You get to take 3 into battle. There will always be a best 3 characters unless you start making them identical. Even allowing for personal preference you probably never see covers below the top 9. You cannot buff and nerf all characters so they fit inside of the top 9.

So the solution is to try to keep characters close and then vary the battlefields and buffs so people mix up the characters to match the environment. If your team is always rag, widow and whoever is the feature character then things are broken. If you are picking two characters to complement the feature characters colours and abilities, then the system works as best it can.
  • gobstopper wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

If you think Thor is underpowered now, what makes you think their pending Thor adjustments will be an improvement? Based on the Rag nerf and how Thor relates to Rag now, it would be nonsensical if any Thor change was anything but a nerf. It might make the game more fun in the sense that there might be more diversity at the 2* spot, but it won't be because Thor got stronger.

Maybe you and I differ on what we consider overpowered and underpowered. I'm okay with that. As far as respec options go, it sounds like its the next thing they plan to work on.

It's interesting to me that they told us it was #1 in their backlog. They have committed themselves.
  • I'm just questioning your logic. Thor IS going to be nerfed. So if you think he is currently underpowered, wouldn't he become more underpowered? How will becoming more underpowered be an improvement in your eyes?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    The logic of these threads makes me sad for humanity.

Allowing us to collect 15 covers and respec at will will increase the variety of builds you see
    How does that work? Currently you are limited to whatever you built, so as powers and combinations change builds will change, so you will face a mix of builds depending on cover luck and when a character was built. If people could respec at will then you should only ever face the optimal spec for a character, reducing variety.

Respec should be your highest priority
    Because why? Apart from your neediness, what difference does it make? We know it is in the works, so it doesn't prevent you from playing the game or applying the covers you have now and knowing that your decisions aren't permanent. It's a very good thing to have but it isn't a need because it isn't broken now.

None of the nerfs to date have meant that a completely different character build is required, especially when most of them have affected 2 colour characters.

if a character is buffed or nerfed and isn't used except when boosted then you screwed up
    There are over 30 character covers. You get to take 3 into battle. There will always be a best 3 characters unless you start making them identical. Even allowing for personal preference you probably never see covers below the top 9. You cannot buff and nerf all characters so they fit inside of the top 9.

So the solution is to try to keep characters close and then vary the battlefields and buffs so people mix up the characters to match the environment. If your team is always rag, widow and whoever is the feature character then things are broken. If you are picking two characters to complement the feature characters colours and abilities, then the system works as best it can.

Your first and second points can be answered simultaneously. The reason specing at will is great is as your deck changes, i.e. you get more characters, all of a sudden having wolverine as a 5/3/5 might not be good anymore because you have a really good champ that uses green as their main color and creates defensive tiles, to the point that you would rather have a slow building nuke 3/5/5 wolvie instead, but you can't because you are locked in. Now you can't adjust your character or realize combo's because of the vast investment one has to make in order to have multiple wolverine builds. the reason it is a priority is because you would need to save covers in order to adjust your character, so if I want to switch wolvie from 5/3/5 to 3/5/5 i need to red covers, but I have a limited space and covers not in your immediate collection disappear after 7 days, that's why it needs to be a high priority. Respecing will create even more variety not less, because you won't have to build the optimal build for that character, you can build the optimal build for your collection
  • Off-topic.

OMG I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!

LIAOMIAO YOU HAVE 3/3/3 X FORCE WOLVIE!!!!!!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!