Roster Advice 2* -> 3* Transition + Other Advice (HP usage)

Unknown
edited September 2015 in Roster and Level Help
Hey guys, this is my first post on these forums so apologise if I happen to flaunt any rules. I’m fairly new to the game and would love to seek some advice from you vets out there especially those who are squarely in 3* territory with a few fully covered 3* lvl 166 heroes.

I've just bought 25k HP and am at a dilemma as to what to do with them. I previously had an idea as to what to do but am not so sure if I should be doing this anymore.

My current 3* roster

Luke Cage – lvl 104 (4/4/3) Used 2.5k HP for 2 red covers, intending on going (5/5/3)
Daken – lvl 66 (2/3/2)
Beast - lvl 43 (2/1/1)
Thor – lvl 40 (5/1/1)
Hulk – lvl 40 (4/2/1)
Loki – lvl 40 (3/1/1)
Kamala Khan – lvl 40 (2/2/1)
Steve Rogers 3* Cap – lvl 40 (1/2/2)
Magneto 3* - lvl 40 (1/2/1)
The Hood – lvl 40 (1/2/1)
Cyclops – lvl 40 (1/1/1)
Rocket and Groot – lvl 40 (1/1/1)

Black Window Grey Suit – lvl 40 (2/2/0)
Patch – lvl 40 (2/0/2)
Iron Fist – lvl 40 (2/0/1)
Doctor Doom – lvv 40 (2/0/0)
Human Torch – lvl 40 (0/0/2)
Black Panther – lvl 40 (1/1/0)
Deadpool 3* - lvl 40 (1/1/0)
Blade – lvl 40 (0/0/1)
Gamora (0/0/1)
Psylocke – lvl 40 (0/0/1)
Scarlet Witch – lvl 40 (0/0/1)

I have a maxed fully covered in ideal covers 2* team (Ares, OBW, Daken, Human Torch, 2* Magneto, Thor, 2* Wolverine).

Ok so here goes my initial plan and whether I should change this based on the advice from you guys.

My initial plan was to fully cover a few top tier 3* covers (Above) and immediately begin competing in pvp for the top few rewards being one, 800 progression point award for the 3* cover and consistently placing at least top 50 (Possibly top 25) in events that I am keen to win covers for my 3*.

Is the above a good idea and if it is, who should I fully cover? I have tried looking for synergies and good composition teams but most are fairly outdated and I’m hoping to get some really sound advice on this.

Possible characters that I can fully cover are Luke Cage, Thor, Cyclops, Kamala Khan, Magneto, Captain America, Hood, Loki etc.

If I do this, should I immediately bring them up to lvl 166 and start hitting the pvp? Or should I bring them slowly as others have mentioned (94 -> 104 -> 114 -> 120 -> 130 -> 140 -> 166).

I have also considered waiting for that last purple Iron Fist cover so that I can fully cover him too as I understand from Dauthi’s 3* guide that he is the best possible 3* and when combined together with cyclops is the best 3* team possible.
Is this true? What other good team compositions can I get from the roster shown above?

Or should I follow some other plan or scheme or wait for better covers and characters to come along so that I should go with other better team compositions etc.

Or would I be better served buying the 40 cover packs and just opening at random? I’m inclined to think no as I would get tons of wasted covers that way.

My basic question is what is the best use of the remaining 23k HP?

I’m really looking to jump-start my 3* transition with this move and choosing which covers and characters to cover is really such an important decision that I felt I should ask the vets in this forum as I come here for advice pretty often.

Apologise for having so many questions, really trying to make those most of these 23k HP.

Thank you all for your advice. This is really much appreciated from a fellow MPQ player and HUGE supporter of this game.
Hoping to hear from you guys soon.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    welcome to the forums - no apologies necessary. we were all where you are and understand.

I did exactly what you are considering back in the late winter/early spring and back then the best 2 that worked together that I liked and were good were thor and loki. I put 6 covers into them and immediately started finishing t100, although sometimes it took some work. cage is an excellent candidate to consider and fist is his perfect partner. fist actually makes perfect partners with any high-tier black nuke character (cage, Cyclops, panther). the drawback of going the concentrated route is that most weeks those few guys won't be boosted. this week cage is boosted and next week Cyclops is. those 2 won't be back for a loooong time to the boosted list. and they only boost fist between seasons it seems, so keep that in mind.

however, so much has changed recently with the boosted list I'm not sure how far you'll get with unboosted cage/fist or Cyclops/fist with a low level featured character in pvp. I think done right, you could probably reach the 800 mark consistently, but probably not finish there unless you use shields. right now 800 probably sometimes, but rarely gets t100 in the main brackets, so if you're getting t50 or t25, enjoy it while it lasts, but eventually you will get bumped into the big brackets where you will struggle more.

so, you're talking about spending a lot of hp - your fist is only 2/-/1 and that would be very expensive to buy outright. if its not big deal to you, it will help you a ton. and yes, if you want to start playing pvp, they need to be 166 (my opinion). you can start with 140 but that only helps when they're boosted.

definite no on the 40-packs unless you plan on spending lots in the game and just don't care. if you can afford it and like the slot machine aspect, go for it. otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed more often than not. I will say that you're at a spot where most 3* covers will benefit you, so if you're willing to spend and like the gamble, it won't be completely wasted.

personally it is a little soon to pull this trigger. you're very early in your transition and I'm assuming you're playing pve heavily. get your guys up to 104 so you can use your whole roster in pve and then when your pair/group of key guys are at least 3/3/3 or so, then pull that trigger. that is what I'd do in your spot.

when you do pull that trigger, my plan would be to max fist and all the previously mentioned black users (cage/Cyclops/panther). you can cycle through them with fist and when they are boosted, you will be able to do quite a bit with them. good other options include mags (a good third for any of those 3), cap (pve god when covered), hood (but don't max him where you are - you don't want him tanking), witch (very good at feeding fist purple). there are other good solid characters like thor, loki, kamala, torch, blade, but if I had a limited roster and could only use a few 3*s, I would start with fist, Cyclops, cage, panther, mags, cap, hood, witch - kind of in that order, then followed by thor and loki (see my roster - that is who I've chosen to max icon_e_wink.gif ). FYI when you have fist and either cage or Cyclops up and running, if you're willing to use a few shields per event, 1K is not out of the question. I've even hit 1300 running unboosted fist and cage, but that took a ton of hp. was my first event to really try for it and used a ton of hops, but learned along the way. next event fist was boosted (I think) and I did it using 3 shields. haven't done it since but coming close. good luck.
  • Hey TxMoose,

Thanks for your response and advice. This is exactly what I am looking for. Your roster looks great btw!

I think I understand your points about boosted/unboosted characters and will take note of them.

I've actually been playing more pvp than pve as I work long hours and cant afford to be taking breaks inbetween to do 8H full node clears. For pvp, somehow I manage to get in the "kiddie" brackets most of the times whereby scoring 400+ gets me to t100. I've managed to get t25 for the recent Black Panther event finishing at 685 points. Perhaps this is because I'm only using my 2* characters?

The usual strat for pvp is play at the start - mid of the event to about 500-600, rest abit and get hit down to 400-500, then wait till the last 3-4 hours and play with a full 10 health pack till I get about 600+ and shield during the final 3 hours hoping to get t100 and above (Usually gets me t50, lol at "kiddie" bracket).

It seems very foreign to me that t100 requires 800+ points... That is crazy!

I'll be following your advice on who I should cover up accordingly. Sadly, I only have this last 23k HP to play with which means another 18 covers. I have previously done the math and will be waiting on Iron Fist's purple cover to drop before bringing fully covering them both up to max covers (IF and Cyc). Looks like I'll have to start from there and slowly continue my 3* transition. I'll also follow the advice of going from 104 - 114 - 120 - 140 - 166 etc slowly

I'll hover at 104 for a long time to come till I get my other 3* cards covered properly (3/3/3) at least, then I will start thinking about bringing them up to 114 and so on.

I've never really understood what shield hops meant but for now, will be happy hitting 800 and hopefully shielding towards the end of the event such that I'll be high enough for t100 should I eventually be in that tough bracket.

That coupled with the enchilada everyday. I'll have that daily 3* card which should keep me going till I get more 3* covers going from the pvp and pve events.

Thanks again for your help Txmoose. It was great talking to you.

Good Luck!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    moved to Roster and Level Help