Avengers Elite Training

Comments

• Kyosokun wrote:
    As of now, there are 1872 players. (Just joined, got one match, can see the end).
    What are you potential matches like? Level-wise
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    As of now, there are 1872 players. (Just joined, got one match, can see the end).
    What are you potential matches like? Level-wise

I was seeing all placeholder teams.
  • @mischiefmaker

Ok so the rich are gonna keep getting richer. That's a fact. That's going to continue to happen in basically any format unless they start implementing penalties for progression or something? Lose 100 ISO every time you surpass 500. 500 ISO every time you pass 1000? No shield usage past 1000. I dunno. I'm just being silly there. Lol

Point being , not competing is only losing you a chance to keep up a little more. They have nowhere to go from here, you do.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the rich getting richer; I have no problem with that (it's kind of how life works, too). What I'm pointing out is that while there's plenty to gain, there's a very good chance that the people who win are the people who can use the rewards least. Which is kind of a shame; I think they'd get much higher participation (and therefore hero point sink) by giving out significant ISO rewards.

I will also grant that the vast majority of players probably do not think this way. And if they did, then nobody would enter, and whoever does play will easily clean up.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    I'll sit this one out, I need ISO not HP at this point
  • Since this tourney ends at 5 am for me I'd miss the last 4 or 5 hours if I participated. So I probably wouldn't be able to stay in the top 10 and everything below that seems to cost more hp than you could earn.
    Guess I have to sit that one out and wait for one that has a better ending time for me.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    AdamMagus wrote:
    I have to grind ISO somewhere. If I can place top 1000 (shouldn't be hard), then I might as well. Plus it gives me something to do while shielded.

My team is 115 GSBW, 93 IM40, and 85 Thor. So far it's been mostly placeholder teams and about half a dozen live opponents.

Update:
    Following up on an earlier post, @192, I got hit by someone @188 for 10 points. So it definitely seems like point loss is massively reduced. My retaliation shows that I can hit him for 27.
  • I hope LR start tomorrow so I can start grinding some ISO to pump into my Avengers that I have a decent amount of covers for. (Thor, Cap, and Wolvie)
  • Can anyone confirm how matchmaking is and whether point losses are muted? Curious if it will be just like army of one and without consistent reshielding, forget sitting at 800 for more than a few minutes.
  • @mischiefmaker

Ok so the rich are gonna keep getting richer. That's a fact. That's going to continue to happen in basically any format unless they start implementing penalties for progression or something? Lose 100 ISO every time you surpass 500. 500 ISO every time you pass 1000? No shield usage past 1000. I dunno. I'm just being silly there. Lol

Point being , not competing is only losing you a chance to keep up a little more. They have nowhere to go from here, you do.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the rich getting richer; I have no problem with that (it's kind of how life works, too). What I'm pointing out is that while there's plenty to gain, there's a very good chance that the people who win are the people who can use the rewards least. Which is kind of a shame; I think they'd get much higher participation (and therefore hero point sink) by giving out significant ISO rewards.

I will also grant that the vast majority of players probably do not think this way. And if they did, then nobody would enter, and whoever does play will easily clean up.

I think most can agree with ISO>hp. I agree with you there.
  • no question 10k ISO would be better....

but at least there are some very good characters packs that could be bought right now (specifically, patchwork 10 pack) that can be cashed into a decent amount of ISO or good covers.
  • AdamMagus wrote:

Same plus I don't have the team to compete. I don't think 100 spidey, 87 gsbw, 85 ThorVerine stands a chance anyways
  • My highest characters are 80 wol/75 hulk /70 Thor. I'd be a point pinata.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I probably could get top 100, but between the entry fee and shield cost, it hardly seems worth the effort. I'm probably going to sit it out unless I get REALLY bored
  • My highest characters are 80 wol/75 hulk /70 Thor. I'd be a point pinata.

That's higher than mine - the best team I could field would probably be some combo of 75 Wolv/64 Hulk/53 Spidey, with maybe my 50 Thor (who's STILL missing two covers) thrown in. This is really engineered to play to my weaknesses.
  • shuusin
    shuusin Posts: 27
    I'm in this tourney and all I've got is an 85 wolverine and a max cover spidey!
  • I thnk this Avengers Elite training is just a final hurrah for all those Thorworine teams before the nerf bat drops.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I definitely have the right team leveled properly to do well in this with a lvl 120 Hulk and lvl 141 GSBW and 141 Spidey. I also have the iso to level Hulk to 130 if I wanted to. But the state of matchmaking makes me very very wary of entering this even though I could break more than even the thought of getting caught on an MMR island when I've paid something to enter would be infuriating. Assuming that the matchmaking is the same as what I'm seeing in Army of One there is no way I would enter this for that simple reason.

It keeps falling into the category that the devs have to show me unequivocally that they have fixed matchmaking before I would ever spend a dime on any pay to play tournament. Today they have not shown me that.

Because of that I am a little hopeful that this turns into the matchmaking disaster I think it will become. It is easy to ignore those who complain about things for free it will be less easy to ignore players who paid $3 and still get caught on MMR Island.

I'm watching from the sidelines but I sort of expect I'm watching two trains heading in conflicting directions on the same track. When they collide in a couple of days there is going to be a lot of wreckage I think.
  • Matchmaking isn't as big a deal in this tourney (imo) because there's no progression reward. You're never fighting to climb to a specific plateau so yes, there might still be a fierce battle for ending position, but the grind is less burdensome when you're not trying to achieve a specific point plateau.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    jozier wrote:
    Matchmaking isn't as big a deal in this tourney (imo) because there's no progression reward. You're never fighting to climb to a specific plateau so yes, there might still be a fierce battle for ending position, but the grind is less burdensome when you're not trying to achieve a specific point plateau.

We'll see but in the last few hours those who are on the dividing lines between prize levels will be looking for big juicy targets and the hits will come fast and furious. There may not be progression awards but if you've been building your lead on the backs of the low point teams because that is all the matchmaking is giving you I think you'll be really annoyed when you lose a boatload of points down the stretch.

I'll be watching and you can tell me I was wrong.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Can anyone confirm how matchmaking is and whether point losses are muted? Curious if it will be just like army of one and without consistent reshielding, forget sitting at 800 for more than a few minutes.

Seems just like normal. Losses always feel muted at low point totals.