*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• Misguided wrote:
    xinyucao wrote:
    5 red is bad if one plan to team up with rag.
    Due to lower lvl cap of rag, mag always use his red instead of rag using his on defence.

Wait...what? First off, as far as I know, which character does match damage has no relation to whose power gets used. Even if it did, what does that have to do with rank 3 vs rank 5 on Magneto's red? Not that I think Mag's red at 5 is a good choice, but that doesn't make sense to me.

If you level his red to 5, it will cost 2AP, same as Rag's red (maxed). So on defense, the AI might cast Mag's red instead of Rag's, and Rag has the better red. Keep it at rank 3 and you'll probably never have the AP to cast it.
  • grimeon wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    xinyucao wrote:
    5 red is bad if one plan to team up with rag.
    Due to lower lvl cap of rag, mag always use his red instead of rag using his on defence.

Wait...what? First off, as far as I know, which character does match damage has no relation to whose power gets used. Even if it did, what does that have to do with rank 3 vs rank 5 on Magneto's red? Not that I think Mag's red at 5 is a good choice, but that doesn't make sense to me.

If you level his red to 5, it will cost 2AP, same as Rag's red (maxed). So on defense, the AI might cast Mag's red instead of Rag's, and Rag has the better red. Keep it at rank 3 and you'll probably never have the AP to cast it.

I forgot. Duh. Thanks.
  • I've actually got him at 4/4/5. I don't get the efficiency off the Blue we all like, but the Red has value for clearing the board when needed. That balance is decent, but I'd probably go 5/3/5 if I start him over.
  • I think im the only one build him 3/5/5. So far satisfy with his 5 on purple. "Red" ermm... Still ok. He is kind of good at one shot kill, purple at max is the one.
  • I still think 5/3/5 is the way to go probably but 5/4/4 is more viable now that his purple is fixed (I havent tested myself..so..hearsay). You are really not going to get 10 red AND blue easily so the main use of skill 5 imo is the base damage per a swap boost. I still would rather use thor's red or somebody else's but 3 ap is a little nicer than 4 (1 match vs 2) for sine emergency board jostling. Made mine 4/3/5 yesterday..so I am locked into 5/3/5 but I am wondering.if I would have liked tobuse the red I threw out instead of the purple.

O well. Hopefully this means he doesn't get nerfed if they patched this part if his ability. I mean..its actually a pretty large nerf to him as he used to reach 10+ blue rather easily...but beyond this.

Edit: tested..still works just based off blue. So...yea. still, its highly likely to change.
  • Kcwei83 wrote:
    I think im the only one build him 3/5/5. So far satisfy with his 5 on purple. "Red" ermm... Still ok. He is kind of good at one shot kill, purple at max is the one.

This might be a good build if they nerf blue to be two random tiles.
  • Kcwei83 wrote:
    I think im the only one build him 3/5/5. So far satisfy with his 5 on purple. "Red" ermm... Still ok. He is kind of good at one shot kill, purple at max is the one.

This might be a good build if they nerf blue to be two random tiles.

They are likely to increase the cost of the red ability, however.
  • It's really hard to tell what's going to happen with this character, as all three of his abilities are broken in some way. The blue and red are too cheap (even though red is kind of low impact), and the purple deals too much damage. I wouldn't be surprised if he got hit harder than Rags.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Celerity wrote:
    It's really hard to tell what's going to happen with this character, as all three of his abilities are broken in some way. The blue and red are too cheap (even though red is kind of low impact), and the purple deals too much damage. I wouldn't be surprised if he got hit harder than Rags.
    They'll probably make his blue cost as much as GSW's purple, his purple do about 50 damage a swap, and his red go up in cost every level, rather than down
  • Spoit wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    It's really hard to tell what's going to happen with this character, as all three of his abilities are broken in some way. The blue and red are too cheap (even though red is kind of low impact), and the purple deals too much damage. I wouldn't be surprised if he got hit harder than Rags.
    They'll probably make his blue cost as much as GSW's purple, his purple do about 50 damage a swap, and his red go up in cost every level, rather than down
    As long as stronger than 2* magneto fine with me
  • Spoit
    Kcwei83 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    Just like rags is stronger than thor icon_lol.gif
  • Spoit wrote:
    Kcwei83 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    Just like rags is stronger than thor icon_lol.gif
    Opposite and they decided to downgrade thor later. Funny
  • Spoit
    But seriously, 2* mag isn't that bad, it's just that no one has enough covers to theory craft him. And he's never been buffed either. I'd put him solidly above the likes of cap or most of the dark avenger 2*s (not ares)
  • Spoit wrote:
    But seriously, 2* mag isn't that bad, it's just that no one has enough covers to theory craft him. And he's never been buffed either. I'd put him solidly above the likes of cap or most of the dark avenger 2*s (not ares)

he's alright, i agree.

his abilities are high cost and slow though but he pairs well with the hood's abilities dormammu's aid and intimidation.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I was just thinking about Magneto's L5-Red for 2AP, and pairing it with Wolvie's 89 max dmg strike tiles.
    That has tremendous potential for low-cost 2AP strike tile damage, rather than sinking it all into Wolvie's 10AP red for 2225 max dmg.
    Calculating the break-even point ..

5 Usage x 89 dmg x # Strike Tiles = 445 x #
    2225 dmg + # Strike Tiles x 89 dmg = 2225 + 89 x #
    445# - 89 # = 2225
    # = 2225/356 = 6.26

So at 6 Strike tiles, Magnus can do 6 x 89 dmg x 5 times = 2670
    Same Strike Tiles, Wolvie does 2225 + 6 x 89 dmg = 2759

At 7 Strike tiles, Magnus does 7 x 89 x 5 = 3115
    Same 7 Strike Tiles, Wolvie does 2226 + 7 x 89 = 2848

That's not to mention any cascade damage after Magnus shatters tiles, as well as not needing to wait until the full 10AP Red (and overkilling with Wolvie).

I think a case could be made for Lvl 5 Red.
    (at least, before Wolvie and Magnus get funbalanced)
  • I've got a purple cover sitting in my cache that expires tomorrow, and I'm currently at 2/3/3. I'm really wanting to go for 5/5/3, because I like the thought of having a spammable red ability to help clean the board out - but again, his purple is pretty much "instagib target enemy" in a lot of situations. I'll be running Punisher on my "final" 3* team for a good bit, and technically in terms of costs and averages, the damage per AP isn't off by too much (on average, if Magneto doesn't destroy an environment tile as one of the 5 the difference is larger in Mag's favor). I'm just super indecisive at the moment, and would appreciate some advice post-Bagnarok.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I've got a purple cover sitting in my cache that expires tomorrow, and I'm currently at 2/3/3. I'm really wanting to go for 5/5/3, because I like the thought of having a spammable red ability to help clean the board out - but again, his purple is pretty much "instagib target enemy" in a lot of situations. I'll be running Punisher on my "final" 3* team for a good bit, and technically in terms of costs and averages, the damage per AP isn't off by too much (on average, if Magneto doesn't destroy an environment tile as one of the 5 the difference is larger in Mag's favor). I'm just super indecisive at the moment, and would appreciate some advice post-Bagnarok.

punisher needs his tiles to be effective, destroying the board will counter his abilities so 5p is better option than 5r.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I've got a purple cover sitting in my cache that expires tomorrow, and I'm currently at 2/3/3. I'm really wanting to go for 5/5/3, because I like the thought of having a spammable red ability to help clean the board out - but again, his purple is pretty much "instagib target enemy" in a lot of situations. I'll be running Punisher on my "final" 3* team for a good bit, and technically in terms of costs and averages, the damage per AP isn't off by too much (on average, if Magneto doesn't destroy an environment tile as one of the 5 the difference is larger in Mag's favor). I'm just super indecisive at the moment, and would appreciate some advice post-Bagnarok.

I'm sitting on a 4/1/1 Magnus, and I love pairing his AP-neutral blue with wolvie strike tiles. Basically anywhere from 0AP-2AP cost to do strike damage by matching blues. Unfortunately, that also means my boards are usually devoid of blue (max 7 or so), which limits my purple damage.

The difference between Purple-4 and Purple 5 is 4 Tile-Swap x 636 max dmg = ~2500 -- though with your base 9 Tile-Swaps you're already doing ~5800 dmg. Aside from a buffed tourney, there's few characters that sit at over 5800 health unbuffed -- Iron Man-40 and Rags at 7K health, Wolvie at 9k and Baglady at 7K. You would need 13 blue tiles on-screen -- so you could use his Blue to create more blue tiles to maximize his purple damage.

It's a tough choice, but Mags has 3 great maxed powers -- all depends on the rest of your team synergy.
  • He would be nerfed ... I should say : rebalanced soon so who knows which skill should be better. But respec is going to be implemented soon so no worries
  • Polkio wrote:
    He would be nerfed ... I should say : rebalanced soon so who knows which skill should be better. But respec is going to be implemented soon so no worries
    Speaking of which, I have a pink Spiderman cover (what I'm wanting to respec for so friggin' badly) expiring in 2 days as well. I really really hope it comes in before then. icon_e_sad.gif

With regards to the Mag suggestions, I'm planning on waiting to have enough green and black for Punisher to unload both skills back to back, so Mag's red will primarily be to help me match up things like Spiderman's protect tiles and whatnot in the event they're an issue. Honestly, if the purple didn't gain damage per rank and only incremented number of swaps, I'd go 5/5/3 in a heartbeat, but the damage increment (even if marginal) is a dealbreaker to me, given it can tell the difference in situations.

Maybe I'll just go 5/3/5 and use Punisher's strike tiles combined with Mag's match-5's to whittle things down, and just bewm headshot with Punisher once they're in the appropriate range, while Mags can instagib squishies with his purple. So many choices. Gimme dat respec. :c