Over retaliation?

Options
Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
Not sure how this works, but i seem to have stalemated... I got myself all the way up to 610 points, shielded for 8 hours so i could sleep... was in top 20 on Kingpin. Opened the game this morning, about an hour after my shield expired, has lost over 100 points, mostly to the same people killing me over and over and over...

I know the risk with the shield coming off.. but should the same people be able to farm me like a goon node?

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still getting some mmr bubbles. I hit a few people while climbing, and they kept popping up in my nodes over and over again. I skipped them because I don't like double tapping, but they were still worth reasonably attractive points (+/-30). If I weren't paying attention I could easily have taken a hundred points off each.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    honestly when I'm scrolling through finding good matchups I'm not paying attn. to names so I could easily hit the same guy but to me, once you are within 24 hrs of event end, the system should have plenty of people in the middle (300s to 700s) to not give the same people over and over again. not sure how hard that would be to change. with how bad it was and how much better it is now (matchup-wise), it would have to be terrible for me to raise any red flags.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    honestly when I'm scrolling through finding good matchups I'm not paying attn. to names so I could easily hit the same guy but to me, once you are within 24 hrs of event end, the system should have plenty of people in the middle (300s to 700s) to not give the same people over and over again. not sure how hard that would be to change. with how bad it was and how much better it is now (matchup-wise), it would have to be terrible for me to raise any red flags.

Am shielded right now, really wanted top 25 ( need that thor green!!!) sitting at rank 52, with 4+ hours left. Going to wait until the last hour and go all in.

Each time i open the app (doing lightning rounds, and an occasional shield sim round) i see looooong lists of people who slaughtered me, thankful for that shield right now, but my hopes of top 25 are pretty much kaput.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

Am shielded right now, really wanted top 25 ( need that thor green!!!) sitting at rank 52, with 4+ hours left. Going to wait until the last hour and go all in.

Each time i open the app (doing lightning rounds, and an occasional shield sim round) i see looooong lists of people who slaughtered me, thankful for that shield right now, but my hopes of top 25 are pretty much kaput.
    sometimes you have to do the smart thing. I'm sitting at 649 because I didn't pay attn. to my pt total when I shielded last night. I would love the extra token (at 650) but to break shield now is very very risky because obviously Lthor is very very popular. I see solid shields in my page of the leaderboard and would hate to break for a token (the 650 progression) and then lose 100 pts (has happened before when I broke the last hr trying to get daken). I thought I could reshield after a match but then I'm just buying a token with 75 hp which makes no sense at all. so I'm just sitting tight - rank 48 now and I don't think I'm touching it. that will put mine at 5/3/4 and I can immediately take him to 153 and then after his ddq I should have enough to take him to 166. its a marathon and not a sprint. good luck though.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    It's interesting re: changes to mmr and point loss reduction, because the two are actually interrelated, in my view. With a point loss reduction (which I can confirm b/c an alliance mate hit me by mistake but gained more points than I actually lost while shielded), the target will still retain value post-hit. So if the attacker finds a target worth hitting the first time and the same target comes up again and again, then I could see subsequent hits happening. It's happened to me as well, being hit 3x in a row by the same attacker, on multiple occasions.

These changes mean that shield management becomes absolutely critical if you're seeking a progression reward at 800 or 1000 points.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly - I think they should extend the 3 and 8 hour shields slightly. If people are going to use them to protect their point totals (rather than shield hop,) then a bit of extra time will be extremely helpful. In particular the 8 hour shield kind of sucks - you can get just under eight hours of sleep if you litterally play the game in bed, close it, and go to sleep. We all know that is rarely the case - you play the game, shield, brush your teeth, get ready for bed, etc. So the game is forcing you to get less than eight hours of sleep if you don't want to spend any time unshielded. Now I can live on 7 hours of sleep, but I'd much rather get eight....

I think 2 hours on the 8 hour shield would be idea - a 10 hour shield would give you some leeway both on the "going to bed" and "waking up" time and you wouldn't have to worry about it. It would have the added benefit that you would be able to re-shield if you break shield before your shield runs out, rather than have the potential to not be able to re-shield unless you break shield at the very end.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    My take is slightly different. If D3 wants to encourage players to use more shields, they should reduce the cooldown from 8 hours to, say, 4 hours. A 4 hour cooldown would provide enough time to recover all 5 heal packs, and allow players to continue climbing. Right now the cooldown serves as a disincentive to play pvp and push for the progression rewards at higher tiers.
  • A shield duration between 8-24 would also be lovely. 10, 12, 16. Really any of them would have uses.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    My take is slightly different. If D3 wants to encourage players to use more shields, they should reduce the cooldown from 8 hours to, say, 4 hours. A 4 hour cooldown would provide enough time to recover all 5 heal packs, and allow players to continue climbing. Right now the cooldown serves as a disincentive to play pvp and push for the progression rewards at higher tiers.

Personally I think the cooldown period should be the same as the shield duration. Drop your 3 hour shield early? You'll have to wait until it was going to expire before you can have another one.

We had big discussions on this when cooldowns were being introduced, lots of opinions and sensible feedback and suggestions, and D3 ignored it all. They certainly won't start listening now.