3*s get the 2* treatment? Who? Why?

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited April 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Considering that Cyclops is to get a 2* variant, who else would you like to see in 2* land and why?

Conversely, are there any 2*s that deserve a 3* reboot or even a Lazy eg Bullseye?

My vote for 2*s are: War Machine, Blade, ( Dreaming here Vulture, Sandman), and Howling Commandos Fury.

My vote for 3*s are: Bullseye, and from 1* land Juggernaut.

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really like AaronTheLuigi's 3* Juggs here (though I think the details could be streamlined a bit):
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2257&p=263187&hilit=juggernaut#p263187
    I've been thinking about how a star.pngstar.pngstar.png Juggernaut would work, keeping his colors ( redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png ) and high health while spicing up the way he plows through the board, also trying to distance himself from existing redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png characters like Hulk, Punisher and Gamora.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngJuggernaut (Modern)
    Cover: Uncanny X-Men (2003) #416
    Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_416.jpg

Lv. 166 damage would be: 13 yellowtile.png, 70 redtile.png, 11 bluetile.png, 12 purpletile.png, 79 greentile.png, 61 blacktile.png
    Lv. 166 health: 11475 (Actually less than a Lv. 166 star.png Juggernaut, because Classic Juggs has an astonishing amount of health realtive to everyone else his level.)

greenflag.png Building Momentum: 9 greentile.png
    Juggernaut begins a massive charge, preparing for a destructive attack. Replaces two basic tiles on the board [player's choice] with 3-turn greentile.png countdown tiles that each replace two random basic colored tiles on the board with basic redtile.png tiles.
    Level 2: Both effects [placing the countdown tile and the countdown tiles themselves] can also replace protect tiles. Each countdown tile now adds three basic redtile.png tiles.
    Level 3: Both effects can also replace strike tiles. Each countdown tile now adds four basic redtile.png tiles.
    Level 4: Both effects can also replace attack and team-up tiles. Each countdown tile now adds five basic redtile.png tiles.
    Level 5: Both effects can also replace countdown tiles. Reduces the countdown timers on both countdown tiles by 1.

redflag.png Do You Know Who I Am?: 14 redtile.png
    In an egotistical rage, Juggernaut plows through the battlefield, asserting his dominance in the fight. Juggernaut destroys all basic tiles on the board bearing his symbol, dealing 14 damage for each tile he destroys but not generating AP.
    Level 2: 20 damage for each tile destroyed.
    Level 3: 26 damage for each tile destroyed. Juggernaut now destroys enemy protect tiles that would bear his symbol.
    Level 4: 32 damage for each tile destroyed. Juggernaut now destroys enemy strike tiles that would bear his symbol.
    Level 5: 36 damage for each tile destroyed. Juggernaut now destroys enemy attack tiles that would bear his symbol.

At Max Level:
    Level 3: Deals 151 damage for each tile (basic and enemy protect) destroyed.
    Level 4: Deals 194 damage for each tile (basic and enemy protect/strike) destroyed.
    Level 5: Deals 220 damage for each tile (basic and enemy attack/protect/strike) destroyed.

blackflag.png Hardened Armor: Passive blacktile.png
    Cain Marko's helmet gives even the most poweful blows a painful reaction. When damaged for over 5% of his health, Juggernaut's armor causes 141 damage on the opponent who injured him.
    Level 2: 157 damage to the opponent.
    Level 3: 164 damage to the opponent.
    Level 4: 178 damage to the opponent.
    Level 5: 194 damage to the opponent.

At Max Level:
    Level 3: 1042 damage to the opponent.
    Level 4: 1208 damage to the opponent.
    Level 5: 1456 damage to the opponent.

Some of the damage values may need tweaking, but he could fill a role similar to Hulk by going through the board, but also act as an effective (but slow) redtile.png battery, and the CStorm-esque retaliation damage means even a powerful team who can inflict great damage to Juggernaut must be wary of the incoming damage. Hopefully he's a solid tank/board-shaker/damage dealer without extending into insta-win territory like former versions of Ragnarok/Spider-Man.
    I think he captured the essence of 1* Juggernaut but took it in a new direction. I don't think his green needs to overwrite special tiles, I think it's just fine as a delayed Anger-style cascadecalpyse power. His red might still want to destroy specials but honestly the resulting cascade will clear most of 'em anyway (especially since you probably are following up Building Momentum, and the power text would be a lot cleaner if it kept it simple. Black is pretty solid.

And here's the 3* Bullseye I came up with a while back:
    ErikPeter wrote:
    300px-Bullseye_Perfect_Game_Vol_1_1.jpg
    BULLSEYE (Perfect Game)
    3*

(Damage values are at level 166) Not much commentary here, except that yes, I intended that he be a bit slow to get started but dish out a ton of extra damage over time. Synergizes very well with an attack-tile user. Damage order is Black/Purple/Red. To give him a bit more focus, it might be fun to have Vendetta increase damage for the enemy team as well, based on their black.

redflag.pngI Only Need One 16 Red AP
    Bullseye mercilessly finishes his opponent. Deals 1600 damage and destroys all strike tiles, not generating AP, dealing 160 additional damage for each strike tile destroyed (maximum 1600 damage). If his opponent is downed by the primary attack, it violently ricochets, dealing the additional damage again to the next target.
    Level 2: Increases base damage to 2400.
    Level 3: Increases damage per strike tile destroyed to 200 (maximum 2000 damage).
    Level 4: Increases damage per strike tile destroyed to 275 (maximum 2750 damage).
    Level 5. Increases damage per strike tile destroyed to 310 (no maximum).

purpleflag.pngVendetta 10 Purple AP
    Bullseye will stop at nothing to pursue his murderous agenda. Creates a purple countdown tile that activates every turn, adding one friendly red strike tile and black enemy strike tile of base strength 20 to the board. The strength of the friendly strike tiles increases for each black AP your team has. (Roughly 3 per AP)
    Level 2: Base strike tile strength increases to 30.
    Level 3: Base strike tile strength increases to 45.
    Level 4: Base strike tile strength increases to 60.
    Level 5: Enemy strike tile strength reduced to 30.

blackflag.pngAce of Spades (PASSIVE)
    In the hands of Bullseye, anything is a weapon. Whenever he makes a Black match, add one strength 20 strike tile to the board and increase the strength of all other friendly strike tiles by 10.
    Level 2: Base strike tile strength increases to 30.
    Level 3: Base strike tile strength increases to 45. Other friendly strike tiles are increased by 15.
    Level 4: Base strike tile strength increases to 60.
    Level 5: Other friendly strike tiles are increased by 20.

2* Blade would be pretty fun, but I think he's too "complex" for a 2*; you'd probably want to downgrade him with a power shift (like Cyc and Ms. Marvel). I think The Thirst is the best power to keep; Nightstalker is great and would be another nice black power for the 2* tier, but I think it's too devastating for that level as there just isn't enough tile destruction to get rid of a crippling tile like that. HT is bad enough and he's not possibly draining the AP you need for a Lightning Strike or whatever. Instead, I'd give him a 'debilitating slash' type power that drains AP once when it hits for decent damage, and then maybe a power that copies red strike tiles onto green, or something like that.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not sure we really need more 2* characters (though I'll still max. Cyclops because I'm a fanboy icon_mrgreen.gif ), but my make-over/make-under list would be...

4* > 3*
    Nick Fury (Classic) - just intrigued what direction he'd go in, as conceptually a support superstar.

3* > 2*
    Black Panther (Shuri) - not a great fan of Shuri, but would pick her to give the 2* tier a non-green heavy-hitter.
    Loki (Modern) - both because he's awesome and also because there's room for another 2* support superstar in PvE.
    Psylocke (Betsy Braddock) - partly for the joy of see'ing a geeky non-ninja incarnation, but also telepaths are an untapped mine of potential for MPQ.

2* > 3*
    Moonstone (Karla Sofen) - she's such a cool character & the devs have a good handle on writing her, so it's a shame if she's forever tethered to her current version.

1* > 3*
    None; tempted by Juggernaut and Venom, but I just don't really care for either character or see how they wouldn't wind up as very annoying in PvE! icon_rolleyes.gif