*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• So I made the mistake of leveling Hood to 166..Am i now relegated to only using him with 4 stars or very specific 3 stars who can tank for him? Should I level another one up to 139 or w/e the magic number is (feels like a dumb mechanic, its more intuitive to level a character to max level)?
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    jeefzors wrote:
    So I made the mistake of leveling Hood to 166..Am i now relegated to only using him with 4 stars or very specific 3 stars who can tank for him? Should I level another one up to 139 or w/e the magic number is (feels like a dumb mechanic, its more intuitive to level a character to max level)?

As long as you avoid matching his colors when you know a big attack is coming it shouldn't be a big deal on offence. On defence you're better off having him maxed so he has as much health as possible.
  • Hey guys, new-ish player here.

I see a lot of folks talk about how great The Hood is...

Why? What makes him so amazing? Does he work well in tandem with others? I just can't get a good sense of him.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    kimtish wrote:
    Hey guys, new-ish player here.

Why? What makes him so amazing? Does he work well in tandem with others? I just can't get a good sense of him.

He steals AP passively almost every turn. It is incredibly annoying to fight against, and speeds up your own team. That is basically his main pull.
  • People either don't know why he is overpowered or if they know they wouldn't tell you why he is because they're keeping the secret for themselves. It's going to be less relevant since The Hood has been banished to the 'no HP' tier after Friday, and while he's still plenty broken, that's probably enough to keep him down for a while. If not, maybe we'll start seeing people attacked by a level 395 Luke Cage + Iron Fist if they dared to use The Hood.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    People either don't know why he is overpowered or if they know they wouldn't tell you why he is because they're keeping the secret for themselves. It's going to be less relevant since The Hood has been banished to the 'no HP' tier after Friday, and while he's still plenty broken, that's probably enough to keep him down for a while. If not, maybe we'll start seeing people attacked by a level 395 Luke Cage + Iron Fist if they dared to use The Hood.

true, except dmg isn't increasing so Hood is still as likely as he was before and without X-Force to nip him in the bud early, you are going to need to look to other sources to eradicate him, I see Human Torch getting used a bit more. There are only a handful of characters that can nuke Hood down quickly and one just got removed. The short list to me is

Daken
    Torch
    Blade (if he gets going early)
    Iron Fist
    Deadpool (to a degree)
    Patch (? maybe)

The rest will take awhile to ramp up all while Hood is bringing them down.

I see him and Loki getting a bit of upgrade later on but not now
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    kimtish wrote:

Hi Kimtish, and welcome to the forum.

As others just said, The Hood's passive AP-theft is the main reason he's so well regarded. You won't start to notice the full value of it until hitting 5 covers though, but it's invaluable once maxed out. I would still argue that it's the best passive in the game.

His yellow used to destroy 18 tiles and do tile-damage / collect AP for each, but was recently changed to do massive damage instead (5706 @ max covers/level) with no AP collection. There may be a few pages in this Hood thread calling this a nerf, although it seems to be more just a thoroughly redesigned move for a different playstyle. When it collected AP, I'd often try to collect yellow earlier (to be able to fire the move and collect AP for others' powers), but now I often just save up the ability's cost without really trying and use it as a high-powered finisher.

His black ability is generally fine to keep at 3 covers. Those advocating for 5 covers earlier in the thread were predominantly doing so when Sentry was one of the game's top characters, as Hood's black @ 5 covers could make every one of Sentry's World Rupture tiles go off at once. Since Sentry's recent nerf (especially to World Rupture) has drastically limited his usefulness, so too has Hood's black. I predominantly use it when grouping him with Steve Rogers in PVE to get cap's shields back faster.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    People either don't know why he is overpowered or if they know they wouldn't tell you why he is because they're keeping the secret for themselves. It's going to be less relevant since The Hood has been banished to the 'no HP' tier after Friday, and while he's still plenty broken, that's probably enough to keep him down for a while. If not, maybe we'll start seeing people attacked by a level 395 Luke Cage + Iron Fist if they dared to use The Hood.

true, except dmg isn't increasing so Hood is still as likely as he was before and without X-Force to nip him in the bud early, you are going to need to look to other sources to eradicate him, I see Human Torch getting used a bit more. There are only a handful of characters that can nuke Hood down quickly and one just got removed. The short list to me is

Daken
    Torch
    Iron Fist
    Deadpool (to a degree)
    Patch (? maybe)

The rest will take awhile to ramp up all while Hood is bringing them down.

I see him and Loki getting a bit of upgrade later on but not now

The Hood can't climb effectively because part of what made him work is that his AP feeds into X Force who then quickly annihilates everyone else. The Hood is always vulnerable to any damage, even just match damage, since with his tiny health pool, taking even 2K damage means you're either down one health pack or you begin the next fight in one-shot territory. Matches are going to take even longer now so it's more chances for him to accumulate damage, and sure he gets more chances to steal AP too but you're not going to have a meaningful climbing pace if you need to use a health pack on The Hood every fight, but he can't possibly take 3K damage without another health pack (that'd make him start next fight at 2K, a completely unworkable proposition). Loki would have a similar issue but a slightly higher threshold tolerance before he has to be healed, though Loki is also easier to fight than The Hood most of the time.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    This quote in the original post seems pretty hilarious 1.5 years later. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    someguy wrote:
    Has anybody found any good use for this guy? I have all 3 colors now, but I really don't see any reason to develop him.
    It seems like 5/3/5 is pretty much the only way to go with his skills. Blue seems kinda useless.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    kimtish wrote:

(pssst. you're posting this on the 21st page of a thread largely dedicated to why he's amazing and who he works best with. Just sayin!)
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Daken
    Torch
    Iron Fist
    Deadpool (to a degree)
    Patch (? maybe)

Why does my girl Psylocke get no love? Daken/Blade + Psylocke is such high frontloaded damage. Daken/Psy/Thor are my go to team vs low health high priority targets like Torch, Hood, and Loki. Gonna be sad when Torch gets his health buff. He's going to be nasty.
  • kimtish wrote:

He steals AP, a lot of it. Automatically.

And while not talked about much, his yellow is pretty much *pre-incoming patch* a character ender.

But yeah, it's the AP steal. He IMO was dropping in strength due to health, but with incoming buff, oh he just got scary...
    - Unreall
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    But yeah, it's the AP steal. He IMO was dropping in strength due to health, but with incoming buff, oh he just got scary...
    - Unreall

Hood isn't included in the upcoming health buffs.
  • Hood is powerful because he has the best passive in the game which allows him to pair with anyone(yes, I know he has bad pairs, but you know what I mean). Nearly every hero in game needs AP to function, and what better way to get AP than steal it from your opponents?

Though he is not an overtly powerful character(read: overpowed/killing power), much like Magic' the Gathering's Birds of Paradise, he's invaluable in that he speeds your progress.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Hood is powerful because he has the best passive in the game which allows him to pair with anyone(yes, I know he has bad pairs, but you know what I mean). Nearly every hero in game needs AP to function, and what better way to get AP than steal it from your opponents?

Though he is not an overtly powerful character(read: overpowed/killing power), much like Magic' the Gathering's Birds of Paradise, he's invaluable in that he speeds your progress.

Ah yeah, an MtG comparison! Hood is less like Birds of Paradise, and more like a Rishadan Port + extra land drops + Lightning Bolt.
  • gregtron wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Hood is powerful because he has the best passive in the game which allows him to pair with anyone(yes, I know he has bad pairs, but you know what I mean). Nearly every hero in game needs AP to function, and what better way to get AP than steal it from your opponents?

Ah yeah, an MtG comparison! Hood is less like Birds of Paradise, and more like a Rishadan Port + extra land drops + Lightning Bolt.

eh that's before my time but i'll agree with you to save myself googling time
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Phantron wrote:
    Puh-lease. Stop calling DA broken... It's counterable with Loki and oBW, board manipulation, match damage, damage boosts. If that's still not enough I don't know what to tell you. Sure, currently we down 166 Hood with a single X-Force usage, but after changes on 17th, Hood's stealing won't threaten the other characters as much either since they will be able to collect their AP longer and throw more match damage at Hood who's now the single squishiest 3*.
    Edit - you said as much yourself to be honest.
  • Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Hmm, with the new Kingpin release, a 3/5/5 would make for a good combo with Kingpin's yellowflag.png
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    - Unreall

Hood's weakness was Xforce could usually down him turn 3. Before Xforce it was very dangerous to attack Sentry/Hood without your own Hood. Slow characters like CapAm and Thor will most likely lose to a Hood team and Psylocke doesn't hit hard enough to be a fast counter. Only characters that can kill him quickly now are like Iron Fist and Human Torch.

Hood is probably due for a nerf. Cut half the functionality of blue (either destroys AP for enemy or generates AP for your team), make it so yellow doesn't end the turn + increase the damage to around 7k and give him an HP buff. When you can't field your own he is extremely difficult to counter most of the time (PvE says hi)
  • dkffiv wrote:
    - Unreall

Hood's weakness was Xforce could usually down him turn 3. Before Xforce it was very dangerous to attack Sentry/Hood without your own Hood. Slow characters like CapAm and Thor will most likely lose to a Hood team and Psylocke doesn't hit hard enough to be a fast counter. Only characters that can kill him quickly now are like Iron Fist and Human Torch.

Hood is probably due for a nerf. Cut half the functionality of blue (either destroys AP for enemy or generates AP for your team), make it so yellow doesn't end the turn + increase the damage to around 7k and give him an HP buff. When you can't field your own he is extremely difficult to counter most of the time (PvE says hi)
    no nerf!