Hateful Forum

Options
I know I'm going to *tinykitty* people off, but I am honestly confused and blown away by the hatefulness and rudeness and the derogative way forum members respond to queries and speak to other members. I see so many people saying this forum is so great... I really think it could be if people weren't discouraged from joining. Yes, new players are going to ask questions and it gets annoying repeating the same thing continuously, and some members have been kind enough to make guides to help. That's great and very appreciated, but when referring newcomers in a derogative manner to those guides it is discouraging and insulting.
The OVERWHELMING amount of negativity towards people who don't yet fully understand the mechanics of the game is mind boggling.
We as newcomers have to take the abuse we're not allowed to leave a negative "vote" or response because we are new. So it comes down to *take the abuse and learn as much as possible or leave*... Why be that way? People come here to learn from others, those with experience and who are very well versed in the game. IMO , that should be a compliment to your prowess... Instead so many of the forum members "Talk Down " to them/us, it's truly "telling" of the type of people the members are out in the real world and feel sorry for those who are unfortunate enough to know them. . I for one make sure to warn members of my allince about coming on here.
***I will say that in possibly 3 instances I wasn't presented with derogatory and rude comments..
That leaves a tinykitty a lot of Tinykitties on this forum. ..
IMO

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally, if you have questions or feel you need additional information to get better or more adapted to the game, you have a standing invitation to contact me privately or through any thread.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It'll pass. It's not always like this. It's usually worst between change announcements and actual implementation.

It is true that if you have a good overall point, but you get an in-game detail wrong, some people will respond only to your irrelevant error instead of your argument. Try make your point without trying to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the game if you can. There's always someone here who knows more and will correct you.
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and... welcome to the forum. It can be rough in these waters, especially for new players. But don't let the bad apples spoil the barrel for you. There are far more friendly and helpful individuals here. And we could always use more of that, so again welcome. icon_e_biggrin.gif

And there are plenty of vets like myself who are still thrown by the game mechanics.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shayne78 wrote:
    I know I'm going to *tinykitty* people off, but I am honestly confused and blown away by the hatefulness and rudeness and the derogative way forum members respond to queries and speak to other members. I see so many people saying this forum is so great... I really think it could be if people weren't discouraged from joining. Yes, new players are going to ask questions and it gets annoying repeating the same thing continuously, and some members have been kind enough to make guides to help. That's great and very appreciated, but when referring newcomers in a derogative manner to those guides it is discouraging and insulting.
    The OVERWHELMING amount of negativity towards people who don't yet fully understand the mechanics of the game is mind boggling.
    We as newcomers have to take the abuse we're not allowed to leave a negative "vote" or response because we are new. So it comes down to *take the abuse and learn as much as possible or leave*... Why be that way? People come here to learn from others, those with experience and who are very well versed in the game. IMO , that should be a compliment to your prowess... Instead so many of the forum members "Talk Down " to them/us, it's truly "telling" of the type of people the members are out in the real world and feel sorry for those who are unfortunate enough to know them. . I for one make sure to warn members of my allince about coming on here.
    ***I will say that in possibly 3 instances I wasn't presented with derogatory and rude comments..
    That leaves a tinykitty a lot of Tinykitties on this forum. ..
    IMO

I agree, this forum has toxic members, I wish they were reprimanded more often for their abusive treatment of other members. I have been to a lot of forums, and the better ones stop any kind of personal attacks. This forum just isn't a big concern for D3 though I think. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of the enforcement here is through members who volunteered to help out.

I would say don't get turned away by a vocal minority, but I personally know how it is to ask a question or say something wrong only to be assaulted by multiple members of the forums because they have a different stance on some topic. They feel that you shouldn't post an opinion until you know everything about MPQ. The problem is unless you are one of the few who come here regularly for a year-ish you won't know all the game mechanics that aren't specifically told to you in game. To make matters worse, when you do ask questions some member will jump on their high horse and make you feel embarrassed or stupid for doing so. Its can be a lose/lose situation here.

The environment always gets extra toxic when any new changes happen too. People instinctively hate changes to the status quo, and can lash out more than normal.

Hang in there ? icon_e_confused.gif
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    It's the internet. Grow a thicker skin, imo.
  • Arondite
    Options
    Ducky, you make a good point honestly. Looking through his post history, it seems the post that prompted this reaction was one that was clearly made in jest.

Still, if any rookie or new player has questions or anything like that, for the most part we're willing and happy to help.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know, I'm generally a "two sides to every story" kind of guy, and after having been a mod on another videogame publisher's forum for quite a few years now I know that just because a side is crying foul, they're not necessarily the one who's in the right. And I hate to say it, but after taking a brief look at your past threads, the only one I can see in which you got actual grief from people is the merc thread in which you were taken to task for having a nearly illegible first post (which is pretty understandable, IMO... if you don't make an effort to write a coherent, legible post, why should I make an effort to try and make sense of it an respond?). In the others people either answered your questions, posted links to threads containing the answers, or disagreed with your opinions.

Maybe there's a language barrier thing going on here, because English doesn't seem to be your native language and subtleties do sometimes get lost in translation, but I'm not seeing that hatefulness and derison you're talking about.

And if actual personal attacks are made, report the post in question. You can't expect mods to read every single post, and reports really do help to get the actual problematic behavior under control. But despite the current negative mood of the forum (which is quite understandable after the past week, to be honest), it's not even close to being one of the actual toxic communities out there.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Regardless, it is still a problem. Here is a recent incident I found for instance:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26954&p=328870&hilit=nice#p328870
  • OP thanks for starting this thread. Hello all you friendly vets. Wow I didn't know you guys existed. icon_lol.gif OP I've been trampled a couple of times in this forum, but I try to make the best of what this forum has to offer so that I can continue to progress in this game. This forum is definitely an eye opener about men for me. Here I was thinking men where less vocal with their emotions compared to a woman's forum, but now I know when there are things men are into they can get really nasty and sometimes catty like women. icon_lol.gif
  • Arondite
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Regardless, it is still a problem. Here is a recent incident I found for instance:

Context is also very important.

Azoic had previously been incendiary, provocative and (somehow) condescending despite being the one in a newer, less experienced position.

He had also been politely informed of what sniping was a couple of times already in that thread , as well as politely via PM.

Even still, he continued to parade himself around using an incorrect definition of a common term, and so he was met rather bluntly. Not rudely, mind you, but bluntly.
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Options
    The guy has been negged 17 times in 53 posts. Heck of a percentage. And I'm seeing several honest questions answered sarcastically or dismissively. So I can understand his point of view thus far. I'm glad that other forum members have presented well written responses to his posts, but it's easier to remember the bad ones.
  • Der_Lex
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:

When a poster makes bold statements like 'you're just not happy because you lost easy mode' and then proceed to use a gameplay-related term in the wrong way, I don't think said poster should expect to be corrected in a very friendly manner. You reap what you sow, and all that.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't get the sense that the OP started this thread because of personal experience. It seems more like he just wanted to make a carte blanche statement about negativity and hatefulness in general.

EDIT: Doh! Just reviewed shane's posting history. Definitely from personal experience.

Don't get discouraged, shane. There are a lot of good and helpful people in the forums. Some of the vets are kinda old and crusty and tend to yell at the kids to get off their lawn. Not to worry though, a lot of us still enjoy playing 'kick the can'. And if you understand either of those idioms, you get an idea of how old and crusty I am... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Arondite
    Options
    I didn't get the sense that the OP started this thread because of personal experience. It seems more like he just wanted to make a carte blanche statement about negatively and hatefulness in general.

I say kudos.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27498&p=334350#p334350

No, it was definitely prompted because of his personal experience. He made this 30 minutes after someone (jokingly) called him and others in his position a "tinykitty" in an attempt to explain what "tinykitty" is in a humorous way.

My best guess is that, due to a language barrier, OP wasn't able to tell that the "joke" was meant to be humorous and not a legitimate personal attack. (English does not seem to be OP's first language, and that's not a bad thing, just an observation).
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh gosh darn it!
    Shaaaayney-man - it was meeeee! icon_cry.gif

My tinykitty example was in poor taste. I thought I was humourous but I guess that's my bad's if it was interpretted as malice.
    I was not intended to be derogatory, just the first example that popped into my tiny brain. icon_lol.gif
    shayne78 wrote:
    ...what does *tinykitty* mean? Lol...
    after super-helpful tips on other subjects I ended with:
    ..."tinykitty" is the replacement word for swear words.
    e.g.: for tinykitty's sake! tinykitty noobs can't spend two tinykitty minutes navigating and reading this tinykitty awesome forum.

So sorry for the butt-hurt if there was some.

But! like, so: I told you about the tinykitties and now we're all throwing them about like it's Christmas day or something!

I don't know who should get spanked for this!

but I hope it's me.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But yes it's tense at the moment - In response to the Thread title:

Tempers are running high after a series of character & game-play changes.
    This is not the first time but they recently changed 3-4 characters with 4 more scheduled - among them the best characters & team combinations. The game is continually becoming more competitive and after a series of game changes that threw everyone tactics and placements off - people are not achieving there past placements for rewards & alliance requirements. Also back-to-back character releases means; to stay up with current affairs you MUST play for them. Which means lack of sleep and "grinding" the game. The pressure for top players is on! icon_redface.gif

Thus many forumites are lashing out in the only way available - by stomping through the forum.

But there is light! Don't take anything personally, there are helpful souls about. (though they may be lying low from all the flying chairs/phones)

Yours Sincerely,

Chungachangas
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Firstly.... I find you typing out your **** 's out rather than using shorter words to trigger the language filter kind of endearing icon_e_smile.gif.

In my experience the forum isn't that bad when ppl ask questions. Most of the time terse responses come when someone says something incorrect whilst asserting it's definitely right and a reason why a section of ppl should stop complaining/whining/ insert other mild insult.

I also don't think you should get hung up on down votes. The fact you said:
    We as newcomers have to take the abuse we're not allowed to leave a negative "vote" or response because we are new. So it comes down to *take the abuse and learn as much as possible or leave*...

implies to me you are placing way too much importance on downvotes (and upvotes for that matter). My advice... just ignore them. If you're not getting your post hidden then they are genuinely irrelevant, especially if ppl don't say anything about why they downvoted your post (upvotes are more throwaway in general).

Finally... if you find this forum hateful/derogatory etc etc there are SO MANY forums you need to stay away from, although it's always more tetchy here when there is a large unpopular change and at the moment there's something of a perfect storm with 4Thor nerf into painful PvP matchmaking changes into Xforce nerf.

EDIT: I wandered through your post history and i'll agree, quite a few of your downvotes were pretty harsh although I will also point out I very politely answered one of your questions about mercing and rosters.... so hooray for me!! Your posts would be a bit more readable if better formatted though (speech to text apparently doesn't do a great job for forum posts).
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    ...although it's always more tetchy here when there is a large unpopular change and at the moment there's something of a perfect storm with 4Thor nerf into painful PvP matchmaking changes into Xforce nerf.

Couldn't agree more, right now D3 is counting their blessings that irradiated blood doesn't equal Hulk.

(Hey mods! Is there anyway we can change the default colors to red?) icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    Finally... if you find this forum hateful/derogatory etc etc there are SO MANY forums you need to stay away from, although it's always more tetchy here when there is a large unpopular change and at the moment there's something of a perfect storm with 4Thor nerf into painful PvP matchmaking changes into Xforce nerf.

On the bright side: the devs finally managed to create a perfect Storm!

Of course they'll still only hand out Mororo's by the boatload, but still... icon_e_wink.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll just keep repeating this until people finally start listening. The mods do not read every post in every topic in every forum. If you have an issue with the way someone is acting on the forum, use the report button on the post in question or PM a mod. We will take a look at the report as soon as we can and deal with it appropriately. I've banned two users this week and given both verbal and forum warning to countless others based on the reports generated by other forum users. We're here to make the forums a better experience for everyone, but we can't be everywhere at all times.