Hateful Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    If the forum is getting you down, I'd also recommend looking elsewhere for your MPQ news/questions.

I haven't posted there, but the Reddit page isn't too bad. If you want up-to-the-minute shield hopping/super high-level strategy, you're not going to find too much of it there (though I'm sure if you ask, the users will respond.)

For instance, a reference to Jonny's thread is on the subreddit, and this is the highest upvoted response (by far):
    Honestly, people are blowing this way out of proportion. The reaction to this nerf reminds me of the reaction to the true healing change, and that change did end up improving the game, and the game has continued to grow despite all the posts from people saying they were leaving and the change was killing the game.
    I don't think there's any question that X-Force was incredibly overpowered, everyone used him. I never ran into a 4* team that didn't include him, and I would skip him every time. I just didn't have a single team that could compete with a x-force with 5 green covers. So he had to be nerfed, since you can't just buff every other character in the game because one is over powered. He may have been a bit over-nerfed, but I would bet that if Demiurge finds he's underpowered now they'd give him a little buff. I wish people would wait to see what he's like in actual play before saying he's unusable.
    And I'd also like people to calm down and realize that balance is an incredibly hard thing, and that balance changes are going to have to be made in any game with a large amount of characters. Look at League of Legends, they make balance changes all the time. Same with DOTA 2, and most of those characters have been around since the game was a mod for Warcraft 3. There's only so much you can do with internal testing, when yo have hundreds of thousands of people playing the game they're going to find something you didn't think of.
    Really, environment tiles? There were like 3 powers that were useful in all of the environments, they were awful. Team up tiles and powers were a vast improvement to the game. It introduced a new element that players had to take into account, and gave new options for strategies.
    His complaints about shield cooldowns are also ridiculous. The whole point was that Demiurge didn't like how they were being used for shield hopping, that it basically allowed paying players to cheat. They knew the change would stop shield hopping, and while it would cost them money in the short term, in the long term it made it a better, more fair, game.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the matchmaking changes yet, it definitely makes it more difficult, since I can't grind up to 300 on 2* teams, but I noticed I was much more easily able to make it into the top 50, and didn't have like 20 successful attacks on me by full 4* teams right as the event was about to end. I think this change is going to change the meta a lot (no more waiting until right before the end to grind out a bunch of easy wins) but it will make the game better in the long run. Though I'm not really sure how it effects people with different team power levels, I'm currently pretty well into the 2* to 3* transition. It might be different for people earlier in the transition.
    These changes are not going to kill the game anymore than true healing did. Are there people that will stop playing the game? Sure, people overreact to all kinds of things, and it is just a video game, it's easy to walk away. But the game is going to be much better for the vast majority of players, and it's nice to see Demiurge making decisions like that, ones that improve the game but hurt their whales.

While some of the same themes of threads are present, these are the other top 10 topics currently on there:
    • Is it me or are 2* Teams useless in PVP right now?
    • Which 3* to get?
    • Did anyone make a letsplay for hero points?
    • Not getting winnable matchups in last two PvPs
    • Thoughts on the upcoming character changes?
    • WANT MORE XAVIER COVERS!!!!
    • Daken 2*
    • Roster and General Help
    • Whos favorite characters are yours to group together to chain their moves?

If those are the forum threads that you'd rather be reading about all of the time, then I encourage you to check it out. The downside is that it isn't AS active as here and there's way more 2* talk (which may be good or bad, depending on you.)
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    I haven't posted there, but the Reddit page isn't too bad. If you want up-to-the-minute shield hopping/super high-level strategy, you're not going to find too much of it there (though I'm sure if you ask, the users will respond.)
    Thank you for this! During weeks like this, people aren't very interested in talking to other players. They come here to shout at the Devs. Reddit shouldn't have that problem.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sorry you had this experience, shayne. I'll second what Arondite said earlier -- I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you PM me.

Admittedly, the answer will always be "NERF BEAST!!!!"... but it will be a respectful "NERF BEAST!!!!" icon_e_wink.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    Personally, if you have questions or feel you need additional information to get better or more adapted to the game, you have a standing invitation to contact me privately or through any thread.

This applies to me, as well. My PM box is always open. :]

On the topic at hand, I will say, that is speaks volumes as there's a conversation going on in the place that shall not be named, basically talking about how Miles got a lot of messages from folks saying they were afraid to show support of the changes he posted, for fear of retaliation and/or public humiliation. That's pretty messed up imo...
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Normally new players are handled by giving them their own section to post in. That way people who don't want to deal with them don't see them. Poor design.

That said expecting people on-line to be polite is a nice in theory but hardly realistic. Particularly on a game like this where the many veterans see balancing the game as a threat. New players asking innocent questions will "look" like just one more post complaining about the difficulty 2* characters face now.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    Personally, if you have questions or feel you need additional information to get better or more adapted to the game, you have a standing invitation to contact me privately or through any thread.

This applies to me, as well. My PM box is always open. :]

On the topic at hand, I will say, that is speaks volumes as there's a conversation going on in the place that shall not be named, basically talking about how Miles got a lot of messages from folks saying they were afraid to show support of the changes he posted, for fear of retaliation and/or public humiliation. That's pretty messed up imo...

Thanks, that is good to know, and it makes sense. I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid to post my support for the changes too. I did, and it didn't go well either, as expected. All you can do is roll the dice and hope for some civil arguments.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I guess much of the current somewhat hostile environment towards newcomers also comes from several of the recent changes. Those were preceived by many as being made on the back of the veterans and in favour of 'noobs', so when some of those 'noobs' come around here to ask stuff, people let their frustrations out on these guys. That's certainly not fair, I know, but humans aren't truly rational people icon_e_smile.gif

When I started here the forum used to be a pretty friendly place, with lots of fun and jesting...that somehow got lost over the last year..or it might just me by rose-tinted glasses.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    Options
    MaskedMan wrote:
    That said expecting people on-line to be polite is a nice in theory but hardly realistic.

GIFT, eh?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess much of the current somewhat hostile environment towards newcomers also comes from several of the recent changes. Those were preceived by many as being made on the back of the veterans and in favour of 'noobs', so when some of those 'noobs' come around here to ask stuff, people let their frustrations out on these guys. That's certainly not fair, I know, but humans aren't truly rational people icon_e_smile.gif

When I started here the forum used to be a pretty friendly place, with lots of fun and jesting...that somehow got lost over the last year..or it might just me by rose-tinted glasses.
    The real turning point in the forums was probably circa DDD's quit thread. That's when it really started getting negative.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    Options
    Spoit wrote:

The real turning point in the forums was probably circa DDD's quit thread. That's when it really started getting negative.

help me out there a sec...I suck at decrypting acronyms...DDD?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DumDumDugan. He was a Forum poster earlier on. I associated him/her mostly with advocating tanking in PvP, but had other things to say, of course.

The more things change, the more they stay the same: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2106
  • NighteyesGrisu
    Options
    ah thx, now I remember him (kinda). I was still a bystander back then since I didn't have a rags to be upset over.

In any case, I think there were plenty of peaceful times after that, especially around when alliances got set up, but again, that might just be my memory being selective icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ah thx, now I remember him (kinda). I was still a bystander back then since I didn't have a rags to be upset over.

In any case, I think there were plenty of peaceful times after that, especially around when alliances got set up, but again, that might just be my memory being selective icon_e_smile.gif
    Well yeah, that too passed. but they didnt go and make a new nerf before the last one scabbed over back then
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi shayne78 and fellow forum-goers,

If you have a problem with someone or something in the forums do please contact me or one of the moderators. We are here to help. As stated earlier, with hundreds of posts daily it can be difficult to stay on top of every situation quickly. Feel free to contact us via Private Message.

These forums are for everyone, new players and veterans alike, and everyone should be treated equally and with respect. Forum Rules are enforced (privately, between concerned parties, so I realize it may not always appear to be the case.)

Have fun and enjoy the forums!
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi shayne78 and fellow forum-goers,

If you have a problem with someone or something in the forums do please contact me or one of the moderators. We are here to help. As stated earlier, with hundreds of posts daily it can be difficult to stay on top of every situation quickly. Feel free to contact us via Private Message.

These forums are for everyone, new players and veterans alike, and everyone should be treated equally and with respect. Forum Rules are enforced (privately, between concerned parties, so I realize it may not always appear to be the case.)

Have fun and enjoy the forums!

Thanks David! ...Annnd now your inbox explodes. icon_e_smile.gif