*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    rowie wrote:
    I miss Falcon! I started to get him when I joined and only have 1 yellow/ 2 Blue/ 0 purple. I still use him a lot though, eventhough I have a weak starting build for him. I know Prof X is supposedly a better replacement for him, but I just don't have the will to even think about leveling up a very costly 4* when I can spend it on heroes like Falcon. There have been many days I've been thinking about maxing out my Falcon's yellow and blue covers, but can't bring myself to do so because he might be a different Falcon if and when he gets out of the vault. Plus MPQ has changed a lot since I joined 90 days ago and so I'm more cautious of where and when to spend money in this game.

No shame in that! I think Falcon is great and one of the most fun three stars to play. He disables/stops the enemy's toys and strengthens your own toys - a combination I've always enjoyed. If Falcon played MtG, he would totes run a U/W deck (no surprise that's my favorite deck combo =^.^=)

And yeh.... Prof X is definitely my most wanted 4 star, as he is kind of a four star Falcon. I'll report back a year from now with my findings, once my (future) 2/1/2 Prof X is ready for some light field testing.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    So I'm just curious how old the poll results are for Falcon. I currently have him specced 5/4/4 (enough to let the bird eat CD tiles, and still good defense on purple), but I got a blue from DDQ today, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to change him to 5/5/3. It seems like the extra protect tiles might be worth it, but having the bird return faster is nice too.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    He hasn't been changed since the poll, and nothing has happened that might change people's preferred build. If anything, pairing him with Blade now makes Falcon's purple even less likely to be used.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gues it depends on what you use him for. For me personally Falcon has become my go-to guy for goon nodes in PvE, but for him to counter the AI team's countdowns fast enough, I need his blue at 5. Since I don't use him in pvp at all and usually team him up with xfist, so all purple gooes to IF's black tile spam anyway, 553 is definitely the best possible build for me. But if you wanted to use him in pvp, I think there's something to say for 544 as well.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back when Sentry was dominant you saw quite a few 5/3/5 Falcons in PvP. I learned why when I tried to Sentrybomb and one of them swiftly ate my Sacrifice strike tile. When I played a Sentry my 5/5/3 Falcon would just gobble up one of the World Rupture countdown tiles...
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Falcon's also both Kingpin's best friend (along with Loki) and his greatest enemy. Redwing can gobble up those expensive yellow countdown tiles before any of them go off, but nuking your own Redwing with Kingpin's black is just win-win as long as you're not a PETA member.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    I was 5/4/4 for awhile just from the way covers dropped -- and since getting the 5th blue cover months ago, I'm a huge advocate for 5/5/3.

The number of times that came up @ 5/4/4 when I wished Redwing would be back & out-again 1 turn sooner, so I wouldn't eat an impending sniper rifle: Many. icon_e_biggrin.gif

The number of times now @ 5/5/3 when I wish I had just 3 more protect tiles: Zero.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    When he was one of the only purple powers around I preferred 5/4/4 but now I pair him with Blade frequently and swapped to 5/5/3 with todays DPDQ
  • I just got my first Falcon Blue... I've always been a little confused about what the countdown tile does. My reading is that the blue power won't fire again until the countdown is gone. So does that mean that matching the countdown tile actually lets the blue power fire again faster? Have never known whether to match that tile or not when facing him.
  • I just got my first Falcon Blue... I've always been a little confused about what the countdown tile does. My reading is that the blue power won't fire again until the countdown is gone. So does that mean that matching the countdown tile actually lets the blue power fire again faster? Have never known whether to match that tile or not when facing him.

His blue can fire whenever the CD tile is gone. If you are using Falcon, it makes sense to go ahead and match your CD tile if you can, to allow the skill to fire again. If he's on the other team, avoid matching it (unless you don't have any special tiles of your own for him to match), because that will allow it to fire again.
  • Falcon 90% of the time is paired with CMags/Blade. CMags yellow gives me the protects more readily, and I'd rather the purple be used by Blade, so my falcon is 553.
    - Unreall
  • What does falcon's blue actually do? It looks to me like it removes a special tile and drops a CD tile... that does nothing? Is the benefit of it that he removed a special tile?
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    The countdown is how many turns until redwing can activate again. If there are no more enemy special tiles then it will do nothing, if there are some it will activate again and place another friendly countdown. If you match away the cd, it will activate again right away.
  • udonomefoo wrote:
    The countdown is how many turns until redwing can activate again. If there are no more enemy special tiles then it will do nothing, if there are some it will activate again and place another friendly countdown. If you match away the cd, it will activate again right away.

That makes a little more sense. So for him I need to focus on matching away the CD tile Redwing creates. Thanks!
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    The text on the Redwing power is misleading. You do NOT want to protect that countdown tile -- you want to match it away if you can. If you get rid of it, Redwing will show up again and nuke another enemy special tile. Otherwise, he won't reappear until the countdown finishes.

Redwing is great for countering chars like Daredevil, Punisher, or Human Torch who have significant powers tied up in one countdown tile. Not as great for Daken/Mohawk Storm-types who spam a lot of specials at you.
  • ShadowX1984
    ShadowX1984 Posts: 59
    He's also great for goon fights... over the course of the game the power will get rid of more than a third of the enemy countdown tiles if you work to match away the redwing tile when you have the chance. It helps decrease the pressure to take out all the CDs with matches or other non-renewable powers.
  • Your CD abilities always have the generic 'protect this tile for X turns blah blah' text, even though in Redwing's case you do not want to protect it. Ideally, it'd be best if the enemy can get rid of it for you so that you don't even have to waste a turn matching it to use the ability again.

I assume it's setup this way so that if it picked up something you could've matched anyway, you can immediately match that and try to get something else the next turn instead of wasting the ability.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got his Blue to 5 in the last PVP, I was so excited that I could now overwrite those pesky CD tiles...

Until I played him against Loaner Falcon. Then all of a sudden my Falcon and the Enemy AI falcon became buddies and my Falcon would get rid of the enemy Falcon's CD tile allowing the enemy to go ahead and get rid of another strike tile of mine.

And whenever the Randomizer of my Falcon's Blue ability had the choice of getting rid of MNMags CD tile or Falcon's CD tile... it would always pick the enemy Falcon's CD tile... every time.

My falcon's Blue at 5 was soooooooo irritating this last Falcon PVP, that I seriously wished I could have dropped it back to 4 during that PVP... unfortunately my Falcon is at 2/5/2 so respec'ing him was not an option.

Anyone else experience that?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only beef with Blue and CD tiles is when facing another Falcon... My Falcon decides to overwrite the enemy Falcon's Redwing tile, trading his waiting time for mine, freeing him up to overwrite another one of my strike tiles.

One of the few situations where going against a 1 cover blue Falcon is worse than going against a 4 cover blue Falcon because a loaner falcon can't grant you the same courtesy.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is in fact the big downside of Falcon's blue in a mirror match. If you have a bunch of special tiles but your opponent has none, then your Redwing will just cancel the AI's countdown tile, while their version is much more likely to remove your strike/attack/protect tiles than to hit your own Redwing.