Is it just me?

Options
I love this game. I enjoy playing it but lately there are things that just don't add up to me.
1. The game is dominated by 2 star characters which are more powerful than 4 star and 3 star .
2. Although I get the intent of shields to keep our rank consistent but, please explain why I can't attack to continue achieving rank points.Especially 200 poi That is like buying car insurance with a 50,000 deductible... Pointless .
3. I can't understand the pricing value on ISO it extremely low amount for what you pay for.
4. Three wolverines. I really don't like the Patch wolverine because I read Patch and think a new update is coming.

Again, love the game but these things irritate me.

Comments

• 1: This is getting fixed.
    2: Shields allow for more people to reach the progression rewards and also have a little piece of mind while doing things other than wearing this game out.
    3: Everyone feels the same way.
    4: It's going to be the best thing since pre-nerf Ragnarok. Learn to like it.
  • 1. They're already trying to fix it through nerfing and buffing different characters. I hope it works.
    2. Shield is an insurance that you can buy when you have to stop grinding for awhile. You can feel safe that nobody will take away your progression. Only if nobody attacks you it was a waste of HP. I agree that shields are pretty much not needed under 700 points. But when you go over 1k you can kind of get paranoid... But attacking while shielded? That would be pay-to-win kind of unfairness IMO. Like playing with god-mode turned on.
    3. This baffles me also. Why buy ISO separately when you can grind so much of it through PvP and PvE campaigns? Those Hero Points on the other hand... sometimes i have to resort to Agency Expenses. icon_e_smile.gif
    4. I love Wolverine. Yes, even Patch. But I agree, less alts and more new characters would be preferred.
  • IceX said Patch was a character they had coded for a long time but never quite got over the line.

He said the policy has shifted to more new character and less alts now.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4. Patch was originally made when they were aiming for more alts, fewer different characters.
  • Outside from some characters who are almost certain to be nerfed, I got the feeling that no 3 star character is meant to be a straight up better damage dealer than Wolverine or Thor (even after they're nerfed). That is you won't find a guy with an ability like 'Even Stronger Adamantium Claws" or "Superior Thunder Strike". Three star characters tend to have abilities that are harder to use in some way (require more resources is the most common way) that are potentially more powerful, and if not, they do have superior stats to make up for having weaker abilities. Now of course Thor and Wolverine is probably too strong in general, but I really don't think it'd make sense to have 3 and 4 star abilities to have strict upgrades over an ability like Adamantium Claws.

Ares is a good example of the kind of stuff I expect to see in a 3 star character (ironically, he isn't one). All his abilities hit hard but they all have drawbacks. It's still worth it but you can't just say Rampage is strictly better than Adamantium Claws. It can be, but certainly not every single time.
  • I dont see why Thor wasnt a 3* or 4* from the beginning. Based on the comics Ragnok is not more powerful than thor. Ares and thor are gods, they deserve to be 3* or 4*.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Shields are not intended 'to keep our rank constant'. They are designed so we can take a break for sleep /work etc and not lose ground. When you are on a break you cannot gain or lose points.

D3 would lose a lot of customers if you could fight with shields up because it would make a pay to win scenario where you had to buy shields to compete.

And this game is dominated by 2* characters who are easy to collect. 3 star magneto is one of the most powerful characters available, but you don't get his covers as easily so maxing him is hard. Same for classic Spider-Man. So more people field more common combinations, which is a good thing.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unity wrote:
    I dont see why Thor wasnt a 3* or 4* from the beginning. Based on the comics Ragnok is not more powerful than thor. Ares and thor are gods, they deserve to be 3* or 4*.

Because stars determine card rarity, not character power in the books. Wolverine is a 2*, a 3* and a 4* in this game, and wolverines powers in the books don't change.

Thor is a 2* because that is the progression path D3 chose, where you move from 1* covers to Thor / wolvie.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Unity wrote:
    I dont see why Thor wasnt a 3* or 4* from the beginning. Based on the comics Ragnok is not more powerful than thor. Ares and thor are gods, they deserve to be 3* or 4*.

Because stars determine card rarity, not character power in the books. Wolverine is a 2*, a 3* and a 4* in this game, and wolverines powers in the books don't change.

Thor is a 2* because that is the progression path D3 chose, where you move from 1* covers to Thor / wolvie.

Good explanation . . but I still dont like it.
  • Unity wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Unity wrote:

Good explanation . . but I still dont like it.

I think part of the reasoning is that they didn't want newer players to have to wait to start getting some of their favorite Marvel characters in the mix. Getting to Thor and Wolverine were a big draw in keeping me in the game early on. I remember how happy I was to rotate Hawkeye out of my lineup with another character I liked way more.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    I think part of the reasoning is that they didn't want newer players to have to wait to start getting some of their favorite Marvel characters in the mix. Getting to Thor and Wolverine were a big draw in keeping me in the game early on. I remember how happy I was to rotate Hawkeye out of my lineup with another character I liked way more.
    Definitely part of the reasoning. As an adjunct to that, that's also one of the bases behind our original thoughts behind having less characters, more alts. As you start getting more "powerful", it kinda sucks that you have to leave say, Venom behind. What if he's your favorite character? Why shouldn't there be another Venom variant at 2*, 3* etc as you play? At the moment, that's the downside of new characters and less alts. But then, we're not even close to expanding the roster to where we want yet. Given a limited amount of time for our artists/designers/etc to work, it's two sets of mutually exclusive philosophies.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Definitely part of the reasoning. As an adjunct to that, that's also one of the bases behind our original thoughts behind having less characters, more alts. As you start getting more "powerful", it kinda sucks that you have to leave say, Venom behind. What if he's your favorite character? Why shouldn't there be another Venom variant at 2*, 3* etc as you play? At the moment, that's the downside of new characters and less alts. But then, we're not even close to expanding the roster to where we want yet. Given a limited amount of time for our artists/designers/etc to work, it's two sets of mutually exclusive philosophies.

So are you suggesting using a combination of both strategies when it comes to characters? I think adding new characters is for people who are familiar marvel and have been playing the game for a while, but adding alternate versions of the same characters is for trying to pull in people who are not familiar with comics.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If we could fusion° a one-star alt into a more-star variant, that would be nice, and would mean more friendlyness to alts!

°=like iso-level transfering
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Unity wrote:
    So are you suggesting using a combination of both strategies when it comes to characters? I think adding new characters is for people who are familiar marvel and have been playing the game for a while, but adding alternate versions of the same characters is for trying to pull in people who are not familiar with comics.
    That's the plan, it's just a matter of finding a good balance. Right now with the current roster of characters, that balance is best seen as tilted towards an increase in roster size as opposed to increase in depth of current roster.
  • When the artists don't have enough time to work they come up with Invisible Woman.

They can have infinity time to avoid that balls up again!
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Unity wrote:
    That's the plan, it's just a matter of finding a good balance. Right now with the current roster of characters, that balance is best seen as tilted towards an increase in roster size as opposed to increase in depth of current roster.

Im starting to understand you guys more and more now. I also realized that you just cant develope a character in 10 minutes. You have to take actually create the art behind the characters, put the powers in affect, and then see how the character interacts in the game. Im just so glad your back from vaction to in form us whats going on.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Unity wrote:

If an increase in roster size is the way forward, would there be any chance of someone looking at the pricing of the cover slots? I, like many here I'm sure, love collecting the characters, but now that I'm at 30 slots it's costing me 400 Hero Points for an extra slot. With shields now taking up the HP we tend to gain during tournaments, it's almost forcing people into paying a fair bit if money if they want to continue to collect all the characters. I'm happy to support the game with my cash when I can, but I really don't like to feel like it's being forced on me.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Unity wrote:

If an increase in roster size is the way forward, would there be any chance of someone looking at the pricing of the cover slots? I, like many here I'm sure, love collecting the characters, but now that I'm at 30 slots it's costing me 400 Hero Points for an extra slot. With shields now taking up the HP we tend to gain during tournaments, it's almost forcing people into paying a fair bit if money if they want to continue to collect all the characters. I'm happy to support the game with my cash when I can, but I really don't like to feel like it's being forced on me.

I went ahead and threw $20 in for the roster slots since the devs deserve it. It is refreshing not having to decide where to use my HP.
  • Thanks you everyone for the comments. Especially IceX. I know there are changes being addressed . I really commend the team on everything. I do spend money on the game and do feel it wiser spent than on other games. I appreciate the solid communication and seeming passion to provide a quality experience.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Given a limited amount of time for our artists/designers/etc to work, it's two sets of mutually exclusive philosophies.

Given a limited amount of time for me to farm HP, your artists and designers can take all the time they like...