Thor or Ragnarok?

Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
These two are capable of dealing damage on a biblical scale with extreme prejudice, in different ways despite their seeming similarity. Thor takes more AP and hits for one massive smash, while Ragnarok is capable of chaining lower-damage, low-cost AP moves and causing absolute color-havok.

Having either of these powerhouses on your team is a boon for their damage-dealing abilities. Do you prefer one over the other?

Comments

• I prefer Ragnarok, but he's harder to acquire.

Ragnarok/Wolverine/X and Thor/Storm/X are both very powerful teams. I'm also seeing Spidey a lot in the high-rating match-ups.

Question to the Thor/Storm players out there - how often do you need to sacrifice your 3rd team-mate to activate Raging Tempest? If you don't get given a free team-mate as part of the tournament, do you find yourself needing to spend resources on healing?
  • My Spidey/Wolverine/Venom team does pretty well too despite the spidey leg being about 2 feet short(need moar covers!). I have the full color wheel covered and I have damage, healing, an execute and a spam-able low AP skill.
  • Which wolverine are you stating? 2* or 4*? And who is X? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Arclight wrote:
    Which wolverine are you stating? 2* or 4*? And who is X? icon_e_biggrin.gif

Ah, sorry, Wolverine 2* - his 3AP Feral Slash is the jelly to Ragnarok's 2AP Thunderclap peanut butter, if you'll pardon teh metaphor.

"X" stands for whoever you want - this could be a pre-assigned hero forced on you by the tournament, or your favourite 3rd team member. Having a combo tha tonly needs two heroes is best becasue you can still use it in these tournaments.

For Thor/Storm teams, the "X" is often a disposable hero, who is thrown to the wolves to generate Red Ap and damage through Raging tempest. I like to call this set up "Redshirting" - the poor ensign dies so that Kirk (Thor) and Uhura (Storm) can save the day!

Wolverine/Ragnarok doesn't need to do this, so can put in a strong 3rd team-mate. Classic Spidey is a good choice because he can provide cheap disruption (2AP stuns) to buy you extra time for your big guns to go off. Spidey is especially good if the opponent is running Ragnarok and gets their Red match first, this can buy you the turn you need to go off before he kills you.

It gets even better if you are spending boosts in the late matches. You can start with 6 Red and Green and 3 Blue (for 4 early Strike tiles and 3 Thunderclaps), or 6 Red and Blue and 3 Green (For two tiles, 3 Thunderclaps and the ability to stun the entire enemy team). It's really hard to lose with that setup.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Thor, because I only have 1 Ragnarok cover.

Except I'm always trying to find the best X, or third memeber. Right now I'm running a low level Magneto Marvel Now! If he doesn't die too fast, I like using his pink ability to set up a blue ability for Storm.
  • Ragnarok all the way, Thor does good damage at higher AP costs.. which means that he will be dead before he gets to use his abilities icon_e_smile.gif
  • I mean, Ragnarok has a higher level cap (114) than Thor (85) so he makes more sense long term.

However, I use Classic Spidey, and Thor's ability to generate yellow to heal is very, very, very helpful. It's pretty much the key to me ending most of my matches with 100% full health for my whole team.

Once I get more Ragnarok covers I'll probably drop Thor eventually though.
  • someguy wrote:
    I mean, Ragnarok has a higher level cap (114) than Thor (85) so he makes more sense long term.

However, I use Classic Spidey, and Thor's ability to generate yellow to heal is very, very, very helpful. It's pretty much the key to me ending most of my matches with 100% full health for my whole team.

Once I get more Ragnarok covers I'll probably drop Thor eventually though.
    yup, ragnarok now is the best char when maxed. even legendary x-force wolverine is weaker in abilty. except if someone had level maxed him [200+] how much damage wolvie x can dish