**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    simonsez wrote:
    3 ap to do 1.6k damage is nowhere near as good as anything xor does
    Yeah, it might not work out as well at the 19AP for 12k damage ratio, but which one is actually going to inflict more damage on you?

And I could also question the "nowhere near as good", since ~530 vs ~630 damage per AP doesn't seem like a huge gap to me, but maybe that's just me.

So dino and new guys best ability combo is dance which does as much damage as xforce. Xors best combo is surgical by itself or surge into smite, which are both easily 1k+ damage per ap. Like
    I said, its not even close. Good luck trying to kill 4or with xforces while others kill you with surge/ smite and surgical.

Re: 12k damage for 19ap: youre completely discounting the stun, which combined with the charged ap is essentially a kill on the last guy. Its more like 26k damage for 19ap (smite the xf stunlock the 4or), or more conservatively, 18k damage for 19 AP (Smite the lazythor stunlock the BP).
  • I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this was an overhaui of Invisible Woman.

It IS Women of Marvel month and she IS a character that's had her complaints since her release.

That'd make a lot of sense, so it's probably not going to happen.
  • Forgive my obtusiousness.

What is this "winfinite" you speak of?
  • Forgive my obtusiousness.

What is this "winfinite" you speak of?

Mystique + Magneto Marvel Now
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    This character seems pretty fun and potentially worthy of being called a 4*.
    I approve on paper.

If in reality this character leads to a RELIABLE & trivial winfinite combo inside a couple of turns then I'll change my tone completely. I got real sick of using Patchneto back in the day and I'd hate to see the game devolve to that level once again.

For now I'll simply look at the character as someone who is fun, powerful and seemingly opens up a lot of cool build combos.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good luck trying to kill 4or with xforces while others kill you with surge/ smite and surgical
    I don't even understand what your argument is anymore. Let me try again... I don't care how awesome XF/GT, if I go into a fight against them with my own XF/GT, there's a pretty good chance that I can come out of it without taking major damage. But if I have to take my XF/GT into a fight with this character and Dino, I'm going to have to be extremely lucky to not end up taking a boatload of damage. I'm not saying this pair is the new hop team, I'm saying they're a very unappealing matchup.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Good luck trying to kill 4or with xforces while others kill you with surge/ smite and surgical
    I don't even understand what your argument is anymore. Let me try again... I don't care how awesome XF/GT, if I go into a fight against them with my own XF/GT, there's a pretty good chance that I can come out of it without taking major damage. But if I have to take my XF/GT into a fight with this character and Dino, I'm going to have to be extremely lucky to not end up taking a boatload of damage. I'm not saying this pair is the new hop team, I'm saying they're a very unappealing matchup.

Oh, that is a much more reasonable statement. My mistake: all of this IF nerf talk is getting to my head.
  • I want to say it's Invisible woman, but on the other hand I don't even know any Marvel chars that do invis besides D-listers like A-Bomb
  • simonsez wrote:
    3 ap to do 1.6k damage is nowhere near as good as anything xor does
    Yeah, it might not work out as well at the 19AP for 12k damage ratio, but which one is actually going to inflict more damage on you?

And I could also question the "nowhere near as good", since ~530 vs ~630 damage per AP doesn't seem like a huge gap to me, but maybe that's just me.
    Yeah but you're running devil dino.

Lets focus on good characters that make this guy better, not bad ones that might work in certain scenarios
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    This guy could be Vison
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Vision_(Earth-616)

or some Skrull
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    I know the reigning rumor is that we are looking at Prof. X, but I don't think the powerset fits. Prof. X without mind control is like Wolvie without true healing.

Edit: After browsing wikipedia, I've changed my mind. Xavier's other psionic powers include invisibility, altering pain perception, and inflicting imagined pain through illusions. It works, I guess, but I'll be screaming at Xavier "Make Iron Fist punch himself already!"
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I know the reigning rumor is that we are looking at Prof. X, but I don't think the powerset fits. Prof. X without mind control is like Wolvie without true healing.

Yes, and Prof. X deserves his own new event in my opinion.
  • mattonline
    mattonline Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Going with the powers listed and the theme of the month, it has to be Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat) right?
  • Sword user
    Sword user Posts: 72
    edited March 2015
    He will absolutely end Winfinite. 70-80% of the time that I get Polarity Shift, I'll make 2 match 5's, that's 10 blue AP plus 8 blue AP. That's the two Infiltrations needed to shift the board so purple/black that you're certain to have another match five, and bang, another 4 blue. Forget anything but 5/3/5 for that, or 5/0/0, frankly (although in that case you'd get purple, and that's sure to get you enough blue to repeat). To unseat Xor is madness, and this isn't Sparta.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Totally X. He's a telepath. Invisibility is a lot like psychically making people not hit you. His powers work well thematically with other X-men as mentioned above. Purple works best as the team 'leader'.

Mind Control sounds cool but would be a lot of work to pull off mechanically without it still being lame, so super team support is a pretty good comprimise. And Invisibility is a pretty good defense against Surgical Smite (at least when it's cheaper than 14 Yellow). I think he could find his way into PvP for the 3*-4* transition players (e.g. players without a decent 4or). Maybe not top two but more usable than Elektra.

Also, his off-color damage being 10/10/11 seems like a mistake (other 4*s are 9/10/11) unless they want specifically want him to tank 5 colors over Fury.
  • personally i would actually like to see a 4 star.png villain being introduced....

as for theories about Professor X i don't see how the skill set shown would indicate that it's him... and given that it is women's month, i wouldn't be at all surprised that they introduced another female character
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Seems weird to introduce Prof x just weeks after Cyclops, who's wearing his post-murder of Xavier costume (while under influence of Phoenix, yadda yadda).

Maybe it's actually two characters, like Rocket & Groot were?

The update said "a telepath. A shapeshifter". In Bendis' current run on Xmen, there's a villainous pair of brothers from a future timeline. One is the son of mystique & professor X - a telepath - and the other is the son of Mystique and Wolverine (or possibly sabertooth, not sure, but he has the back hand claws), who's a shapeshifter.

Maybe it's them? Both telepathy and shape shifting could account for "invisibility.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I just wanted to say that I really like this new format (revealing "unknown's" powers), and I hope you keep it up.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it is Prof X., I think it would fun to have all the X-men characters buffed for his release event. icon_e_biggrin.gif That would be appropriate I think. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Tatercat wrote:
    Seems weird to introduce Prof x just weeks after Cyclops, who's wearing his post-murder of Xavier costume (while under influence of Phoenix, yadda yadda).

Maybe it's actually two characters, like Rocket & Groot were?

The update said "a telepath. A shapeshifter". In Bendis' current run on Xmen, there's a villainous pair of brothers from a future timeline. One is the son of mystique & professor X - a telepath - and the other is the son of Mystique and Wolverine (or possibly sabertooth, not sure, but he has the back hand claws), who's a shapeshifter.

Maybe it's them? Both telepathy and shape shifting could account for "invisibility.
    Far as I can tell everyone in the game is from 616.