New Alternate Characters Referenced in Q&A

Options
ECOcrush
ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
edited March 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
Any guesses as to which characters they were talking about in the Q&A video when they said that some characters will be getting alternate versions like Human Torch, Captain Marvel, Daken, etc. have?

I'm definitely thinking there will be a blue and yellow costume Cyclops on the way (probably 2*) and I really hope they eventually do the Norman Osborn/Iron Patriot I always hear people referring to. Some other Spider-Man would be great too and there are PLENTY of options - Scarlet Spider, 2099, Superior, Iron Spider, etc.

Even though I recognize how unlikely it is 90s armor Daredevil would be pretty sweet.

I'm also still holding out for a 3rd ability for Bullseye. He's actually been pretty useful when it comes to survival mode battles. Might as well give him the Wolverine treatment with all new artwork while they're at it. Since they're moving away from Dark Reign his Hawkeye outfit doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore.

Comments

• There are six* characters that have 1* or 2* versions and no 3* (or 4*) versions: Hawkeye, Venom, Juggernaut, Bullseye, Moonstone, Ares. I'd expect all of them to eventually get some sort of 3*, roughly in that order of lieklihood; probably not true "lazy" versions, but something a little more developed. Likewise, I'd expect a few of the more prominent 3*s to eventually get 2* versions (Hulk, for example, could get a gray version), though the 2* release rate is pretty slow and I tend to think it will stay that way.

I could also see some 4*s getting 2* or 3* versions, but that hasn't happened yet, and some 4*s of popular characters like Spider-Man, or overpowered variants like Colossus as Juggernaut.

* Technically seven, but Yelena doesn't really count.
  • I agree with you on the 2* blue and yellow Cyclops, and I feel like all of the original X-Men (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) would be really easy to do as 2 and 3* versions, especially considering recent events in comics. (Time travel shenanigans- they brought the original teenage X-Men team into the present, and haven't been able to send them back.) Jean Grey especially- I could see them doing 3 versions of her: either Marvel Girl or the current teenage version, Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix as 2*, 3*, and 4* respectively.
    Fingers crossed that they do an alternate Agent of Asgard Loki as well- could be a 2* or a 4*.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    rvs623 wrote:
    I agree with you on the 2* blue and yellow Cyclops, and I feel like all of the original X-Men (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) would be really easy to do as 2 and 3* versions, especially considering recent events in comics. (Time travel shenanigans- they brought the original teenage X-Men team into the present, and haven't been able to send them back.) Jean Grey especially- I could see them doing 3 versions of her: either Marvel Girl or the current teenage version, Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix as 2*, 3*, and 4* respectively.
    Fingers crossed that they do an alternate Agent of Asgard Loki as well- could be a 2* or a 4*.

I'd prefer new charecters over 4 versions of a few charecters...but to each their own I guess.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    higher versions of venom and juggernaut would be awesome
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    2* Cyclops does seem like an obvious candidate, especially since there is a Cyclops title that featured a young Cyclops running around in the present time (X-men do too much time travel). He's not a fan of the darker, X-visor Cyclops either. A younger Cyclops also fits the precedence that Ms. Marvel and a de-powered Human Torch pattern established, where a weaker 2* version of the characters was introduced after the 3* variant.

I have absolutely no evidence for this, but if I were a Dev looking to add a character variant as popular, as say Thor or Wolverine, I would choose black-suit Spider-man (or some Spider-verse variant) hands down.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spidey is the obvious one. I think that's the one that's "exciting" too. (Powerful black suit Spidey, maybe? Miles Morales?)
  • rednailz wrote:
    rvs623 wrote:
    I agree with you on the 2* blue and yellow Cyclops, and I feel like all of the original X-Men (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) would be really easy to do as 2 and 3* versions, especially considering recent events in comics. (Time travel shenanigans- they brought the original teenage X-Men team into the present, and haven't been able to send them back.) Jean Grey especially- I could see them doing 3 versions of her: either Marvel Girl or the current teenage version, Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix as 2*, 3*, and 4* respectively.

I'd prefer new charecters over 4 versions of a few charecters...but to each their own I guess.
    3 versions, not 4. There are already several characters in the game with 3 versions, so there is a precedent. Although personally, I'd rather they do something about roster slot costs before adding more characters, but that probably isn't going to happen any time soon.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    rvs623 wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    rvs623 wrote:

3 versions, not 4. There are already several characters in the game with 3 versions, so there is a precedent. Although personally, I'd rather they do something about roster slot costs before adding more characters, but that probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

3, 4, 9 - all the same to me. I find it dull - especialy lazy copies, and there's a heap of different charecters with different abilities that could be put in. I have no interest in 3 different versions of iceman or beast. Heroes like Wolvie, Spidey, and other favorites, yeah, I can get that, but it just gets old and tired. I'd rather see some one new with new ways to play the game over another ho-hum med level whatever. Although I do agree with continuing to add 2* stars to keep things fresh for newer players.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1* Wolverine - Killable. Nuff said. icon_e_smile.gif
  • rednailz wrote:
    rvs623 wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    rvs623 wrote:

3, 4, 9 - all the same to me. I find it dull - especialy lazy copies, and there's a heap of different charecters with different abilities that could be put in. I have no interest in 3 different versions of iceman or beast. Heroes like Wolvie, Spidey, and other favorites, yeah, I can get that, but it just gets old and tired. I'd rather see some one new with new ways to play the game over another ho-hum med level whatever. Although I do agree with continuing to add 2* stars to keep things fresh for
    newer players.
    I agree, I'm not really a fan of lazy versions either. The reason I think all of the original X-Men would do well with 2 versions is because they all went through significant changes that would warrant distinct, alternate versions of each character if the devs wanted to go there. People have already discussed Cyclops, so the other four (2* vs 3* respectively): Angel vs. Archangel, Marvel Girl vs. Phoenix (possibly vs. Dark Phoenix as a 4*), Iceman with 2 versions similar to the two versions of Human Torch that we already have, and a 2* fur-less version of Beast. (Obviously they'd have to fix the 3* first.) I'm just saying that they could go there if they wanted to, not necessarily that I think they will.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm going to throw my hat in and predict the following three:

Venom - Agent Venom (Flash Thompson)
    Spider-Man - Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)
    Bullseye - Classic
  • Nooneelsesname
    Nooneelsesname Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The biggest indication that there's going to be a future blue and yellow Cyclops is the current Cyclops' icon: icon_cyclops.png
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Spidey is the obvious one. I think that's the one that's "exciting" too. (Powerful black suit Spidey, maybe? Miles Morales?)

I would be so happy if we got a superior spiderman that was more offensive that regular spidey.