How many points am I worth? What about him?

Options
In PvP if I have 800 pts how does the game figure out how many pts I'm worth to attack?

If I have 100 pts what is the highest pt valued player I can attack? Can I see queue him if he has 800 and I have 100?

I'm just trying to get a handle on how the scoring system works.

Comments

• The ELO system computes your chance to win and the points you get is such that if the rating is accurate, there would be no change of score in the long run. If you have the same rating as someone else, your expected chance to win is 50%. If your score is 400 higher, your expected chance to win is around 90%. Therefore, for equal rating, you get +25 for win and -25 for losing and if the rating is accurate, you'd result in no change in score after an arbitary large number of games. For a +400 situation, you'd get +5 for win and -45 for losing, because you're expected to win 9 times and lose once, so that score would cancel out exactly. Note that if those rating aren't accurate (and they are not given MPQ can easily have a case where both player's chance to win is close to 100%) then whoever is underrated will quickly gain points at the expense of the higher rated guy, though it still works at some level as sufficiently strong rosters do get skipped which is good enough in most cases due to how rare defensive wins are.

The matchup system seems to prefer players in the +- 200 range which would be 16-33 range. Note that the system doesn't care for any change in score after someone is queued, so if you have 800 and it queued someone who was at 800 at that time and later had 1800, the system doesn't care (nor will it care if that guy somehow dropped to 1. If the system cannot find anyone in that range, it's willing to make compromises in either direction (usually the lower direction). If your points are very low, it seems to be more lenient about giving you high point matchups too. Note that the system will never spontaneous relax its standards as long as it has enough players in its expected range. That is, suppose you're sitting at 800 and the game has an unlimited number of opponent at the 16-33 range, it will just keep on cycle through them over and over regardless of what you or anyone else does. For the coordination, it is not sufficeint that the guy worth high point is unshielded. You also have to be high enough such that the game cannot find enough low point value matchup for you normally for the game to ever contemplate into giving you a high point matchup.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The ELO system computes your chance to win and the points you get is such that if the rating is accurate, there would be no change of score in the long run. If you have the same rating as someone else, your expected chance to win is 50%. If your score is 400 higher, your expected chance to win is around 90%. Therefore, for equal rating, you get +25 for win and -25 for losing and if the rating is accurate, you'd result in no change in score after an arbitary large number of games. For a +400 situation, you'd get +5 for win and -45 for losing, because you're expected to win 9 times and lose once, so that score would cancel out exactly. Note that if those rating aren't accurate (and they are not given MPQ can easily have a case where both player's chance to win is close to 100%) then whoever is underrated will quickly gain points at the expense of the higher rated guy, though it still works at some level as sufficiently strong rosters do get skipped which is good enough in most cases due to how rare defensive wins are.

The matchup system seems to prefer players in the +- 200 range which would be 16-33 range. Note that the system doesn't care for any change in score after someone is queued, so if you have 800 and it queued someone who was at 800 at that time and later had 1800, the system doesn't care (nor will it care if that guy somehow dropped to 1. If the system cannot find anyone in that range, it's willing to make compromises in either direction (usually the lower direction). If your points are very low, it seems to be more lenient about giving you high point matchups too. Note that the system will never spontaneous relax its standards as long as it has enough players in its expected range. That is, suppose you're sitting at 800 and the game has an unlimited number of opponent at the 16-33 range, it will just keep on cycle through them over and over regardless of what you or anyone else does. For the coordination, it is not sufficeint that the guy worth high point is unshielded. You also have to be high enough such that the game cannot find enough low point value matchup for you normally for the game to ever contemplate into giving you a high point matchup.

Beautifully put. I appreciate it so if I have say 1000 pts the computer is basically pitting me against players with almost similar scores and expected chance to win is pretty much equal for us both? and in this scenario the computer would almost never find me a battle for anything more than 30 pts am I right?

It seems as though the risk/reward ratio in PvP is skewed a bit. I can wreck a loaner/94/94 team for 40-45 pts but if I face a maxed feature/270 XF/270 Thoress and sometimes only get 5 pts. Tell me I'm not the only one who when they get close to 1k score somehow all I can find is 3-10 pt matches and shield hopping seems like a waste of my time.
  • 3uphoria wrote:

Beautifully put. I appreciate it so if I have say 1000 pts the computer is basically pitting me against players with almost similar scores and expected chance to win is pretty much equal for us both? and in this scenario the computer would almost never find me a battle for anything more than 30 pts am I right?

It seems as though the risk/reward ratio in PvP is skewed a bit. I can wreck a loaner/94/94 team for 40-45 pts but if I face a maxed feature/270 XF/270 Thoress and sometimes only get 5 pts. Tell me I'm not the only one who when they get close to 1k score somehow all I can find is 3-10 pt matches and shield hopping seems like a waste of my time.

Only D3 knows the number for sure but I'm guessing it tries to put you in the 16-33 point range which is 33-66% chance to win. That's probably around +- 200 of your score at a guess (have to check the formula to make sure, but equal = 50% and +400 = 90% chance to win). From experience this looks about right in any range where you can be sure there's no shortage of opponents. If you have 1000 and the game can't find anyone in that range (and it usually can't since very few guys are unshielded in the 1000 +- 200 range), it's willing to go in either directions to find an opponent. Obviously most of the time it'd be guys below rather than above just because there are way more guys that will qualify going in the lower direction than the higher direction.

The idea of the system is that if you're inappropriately rated your score should quickly adjust to your true rating. However since you got mechanism like shields, and that this game is not symmetrical (my chance of beating you + your chance of beating me is usually a number significantly higher than 100%), inappropriate ratings are pretty much built into the system. This is why scores fall drastically when the people do caught up. Honestly no one should be rated higher than about 800 points if the system actually works, because that'd mean you can win on defensively 90% of the time against someone rated at 400, which seems rather absurd in this game's context. There is no stable way to progress in this game because that ends at around 800 points. From that point on it's all about learning how to take advantage of the imbalance in the system to further improve your rating before gravity catches up. I remember seeing the screenshots of guys losing 1000 points in 15 minutes, and that's really not that surprising when you consider nobody should be able to hold a rating above 800 consistently as its level of power defies comprehension (90% defensive wins versus rating 400, which is at least a max 2* roster).