2->3* Lightning Rounds as a way to help out transitioners

Options
NorthernPolarity
NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
A long time ago, in the magical year of 2013, MPQ lighting rounds were structured such that top 10 were guaranteed covers for the featured villain (at the time, Loki / Rags / C. Mags / Doom / Hood), and more importantly, top 50 were given a diabolical token that had a guaranteed chance at a random 3*. As a lowly 2* thorverine user at the time, I fought my hardest for top 50 as much as I could, and was ecstatic every time I won and opened a token, hoping that I would get a critical rags cover that I needed to make the 2->3* transition.

Enter 2015. Hoards of new 3* covers are coming out, tokens are becoming increasingly diluted, making it far harder for players to get a single character covered, and the magical LRs that people depended on to complete their transition have become a wasteland of greedy veterans grinding for iso instead. Well, what if we could go back to the old days, where lightning rounds were an actual viable way for players to transition into 3* rosters? Stolen largely from mischiefmakers ideas, the rest of this post will describe exactly how to do that, with both the players and Demiurge coming out on top as a whole.

The idea is simple: Whenever a normal LR is run, a newbie LR will be run alongside it. This newbie LR will have significantly reduced rewards overall compared to the normal LRs, but instead will offer tokens that have an increased chance from a non-changing pool of 5 "starter" 3*s, which can be something like "Psylocke, IM40, Spidey, Doc Ock, Beast". The tokens would have say, an X% of getting ONLY one of these 5 covers, where X is some amount thats economically reasonable for Demiurge (30% if they want this to be a a more viable way to transition, the standard 15% otherwise), and a 100-X% to get a 2* cover.

Why Psylocke, IM40, Spidey, Doc Ock, Beast? Those characters suck.

Precisely! These lightning rounds are meant to be a stepping stone for someone to transition into 3* land. You don't want to give LazyThor covers out because then literally everyone will be grinding these lightning rounds, as opposed to the people who these are really meant for (2->3* transitioners), and it would make it too easy for people to complete the transition. Psylocke is the poster child for a character that should be in these tokens: useful enough that she's clearly better than 2* options, but not good enough to carry a team into 3* territory. Keeping it this way would make these characters simply a stepping stone into 3* territory, which gives players another avenue to progress and advance their rosters without propelling them into being a veteran.

Wouldn't this devalue the covers offered? Demiurge doesn't want to explicitly acknowledge that certain characters are bad.

On the contrary. I can't imagine that anyone is currently buying the covers right now since they are so bad. However, with these LRs in place, having one of these guys covered and leveled (say, that spidey sitting in your roster) is now a huge advantage in the LR that he is featured in, giving you access to play those LRs to earn more covers for all the other characters. Demiurge can also kill two birds with one stone by putting the old, previously useful, now mostly useless but still has a small niche characters such as Psylocke, IM40, and Spidey into these tokens, saving them a balancing pass and a future release like they are doing with some of the older, underpowered characters.

What's to prevent those greedy veterans from playing these LRs instead of the normal ones?
While there will always be that one evil troll whose life is to make everyone else's miserable, the vast majority of players are rational and will not play an event if there's nothing in it for them. Therefore, there is a simple solution to prevent people who don't need the covers from playing these LRs: make the awards so bad for them that it isn't worth it. Hosting it at the same time as normal LRs forces them to choose between the two (you can even use sharding to force players to pick between one or the other), and you can further disincentivize veterans from playing by greatly reduce the iso awards earned in this event (say, cut prog, placement, and average iso earned per match by 2/3rds), and removing all 4*s from these special LR tokens. This would make it so the only people who would join are the ones who actually need the covers.

All in all, this seems like it would be great for everyone involved. The technology is there for them to relatively trivially implement this, 2* players now have a more viable way to transition without devaluing existing covers/players, and Demiurge makes more money from increased sales and having these previously useless characters suddenly be useful.

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    +1 to this suggestion.

I think it's a very elegant way to aid the 2->3* transition. It addresses the main issue with the transition, which is not being able to get a sufficient concentration of covers in one character to make them useful. It also assists in moving a transitioner past the wall of not being sufficiently competitive in PvP, so they can then start to accumulate covers of higher tier 3*s.
  • I really don't see the current lightning rounds as a problem. It's only a 30minute investment for a bunch of ISO and at the very least, a guaranteed heroic token (i always get top 100 this way). Lightning rounds are no longer meant for covers as pve and pvp provide a lot of covers. The lightning rounds today are mostly for ISO.

That being said, without covers you dont need the ISO (besides stockpiling). Your idea sounds like a great way for getting covers, im just worried it'd get ruined by vets playing because its easy and very little work.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mattfal wrote:
    I really don't see the current lightning rounds as a problem. It's only a 30minute investment for a bunch of ISO and at the very least, a guaranteed heroic token (i always get top 100 this way). Lightning rounds are no longer meant for covers as pve and pvp provide a lot of covers. The lightning rounds today are mostly for ISO.

That being said, without covers you dont need the ISO (besides stockpiling). Your idea sounds like a great way for getting covers, im just worried it'd get ruined by vets playing because its easy and very little work.

The idea is that these dont replace lrs, but are an alternative alongside them. Vets wont play if the rewards arent worth it to them: back in the day no one played the loki lrs because the vets had/didnt want the covers. Same principle here: if you greatly reduce the iso rewards then the vets will continue grinding normal lrs while all the transitioners go to these. You arent gonna see a vet grinding for a chance at a spidey.
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    Options
    I had a similar idea but for PVP where the normal people who usually win the big prizes will just be selling the covers because alot of them are there just for the alliance points also. http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21201 but lightning rounds sounds just as good.
  • Another example of why np is the best. .. if you don't count Jamie Madrox.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    +1 to the idea. The concept of a starter 3* hero is a great one, and the concept of separating the vets and transitioners. I always feel that there needs to be a veteran league, so that the transitioners can vie for the prizes that matter to them.

Regarding about the starter heroes, I will say to add in GSBW. GSBW is not that great, but her 5 green allows her to punch above her weight. Coupled with spidey, I have seen many transitioners using them to great effect in pvp before. With proper play (and good board), they can defeat a 3* team.
  • I really like this idea and I think it would be a good way to help out the transitioners. In between the 3* cover dilution, the vaulting of characters you were halfway through completing and the 166 wall that seems to be appearing lower and lower in pvp, getting enough 3* covers to make one character playable is a pain. In the current PVE, which is how I get most of my covers, they have made a character essential that has been vaulted for three months! So that makes it alot harder to place well, which leaves me as a transitioner with not that many options to improve.

So yay, +1 for this idea!