Synergy of GSBW and Hood ... good thing?

Options
h4n1s
h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi guys,

I started to play casually - meaning i no longer pursue some crazy ranking in PvP. And this new mindset freed me and suddenly I started to think about alternative teams to that one I used the most (XForce + OBW + Featured or XForce + Hulk + featured)...

I though of combination of Hood icon_hood.png and GSBW icon_blackwidow.png - they have pretty nice rainbow and both GSBW green and Hoods yellow are pretty tough finishing abilities and realizing the most of the time hood's blue steals bunch of purple for me I think they may form a pretty deadly combo. But - I don't have either of them maxed, so I am thinking of spending some resources to make this duo worth.

I need experience from guys who have them on solid level already - do you think they would make a solid combo, would such investment be clever?

Comments

• Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The issue that combo has is health. They're both fairly squishy (like 1 x X-Force attack and they're about dead) so that's why you won't see many using that team, it also means they're not good for grinding up the pvp rankings (or non-goon PvE) because they'll soon get killed if only from match damage...

The best combo for casual play and comfortable mid-table PvP finishes is LDaken & Patch (maybe now Rocket & Groot too) due to their self-healing and ability to dish out both sustained (LDak) and bursty (Patch and LDak) damage. GSBW is a one trick pony - get her to Green and BLAAAM. If you have trouble getting green, or pink, or the AI simply gets away a decent damage attack on her then it's unlikely you'll do enough damage with Hood - even with 5 yellow - to win matches.
  • I agree with the Doctor. I would love to use GSBW more, but it's just not feasible with the way she is currently set-up.
  • I regularly use a combo of Lazycap, Hood and GSBW in PvE - all maxed - and they are awesome together.

Not sure about PvP though with any old random featured character.
  • Yeah, GSBW is too squishy to use in PVP.

Ever since her colors were "fixed" the problem is she'll tank the color and jump out in front, and take too much damage. Old GSBW colors were maybe intentionally meant to keep her hidden away in the back.

Its doubly problematic since when they changed her colors, they didn't change her health, and all of GSBWs attacks are high-cost AP moves that take a while to get going.
  • It's also worth mentioning that Hood has synergy with just about every character in the game, but although it's wise to max him out (cover wise) to 5-5-3, it's sometimes advantageous to leave him at say lv115 until you've got more maxed characters. The reason for that is because he has very high match damage values which means he takes a lot of damage tanking yellow/blue/black so it's best to pair him with similar colour lv166's with bigger health pools while he hides at the back draining AP. For that reason he's actually good to pair with Black Panther as BP will tank Yellow, Black and Blue if Hood is at a much lower level.

But, honestly. While Hood is awesome, you probably want to be going all out for a self-heal combo (Patch, LDak, Rocket, Xforce) before anything else.
  • h4n1s
    Options
    you're right guys, I forgot about the health pool... that may bring some frustrating moments. Pity, because they indeed might be fun to play. I will have them waiting for some featured tank character who I might have already solidly covered in PvP. And I fool around with them just in simulator or PVE...

cheers
  • Actually, as squishy as this sounds, I like Hood, GSBW, and M.Hawkeye. Ever since the "Speed Shot Revolution," I find that that combo is pretty lethal. It was better before they tweaked Twin Pistols, but I never used it much. My Hood is 3/5/5. Now if I could get a three star Lazy Hawkeye with the same powers...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aaron5x5 wrote:
    Now if I could get a three star Lazy Hawkeye with the same powers...
    I want this to happen just so we can all call him LazyEye.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Besides the health issue, think that she is also a very slow character (miminum cast costs of 11, 14, 17 for a maxed char). Even with Dormammu's help, enemy team will probably start firing skills before Widow does.
    I like very much the LazyCap/GSBW/Hood team, but I get very damaged until I hoard some AP.
  • h4n1s
    Options
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Besides the health issue, think that she is also a very slow character (miminum cast costs of 11, 14, 17 for a maxed char). Even with Dormammu's help, enemy team will probably start firing skills before Widow does.
    I like very much the LazyCap/GSBW/Hood team, but I get very damaged until I hoard some AP.

The more I think of it I can't shake off the feeling, that before she gains sufficient amount of green to fire the deadly AOE ability, usualy there's just one opponent left - so return on investment is rather low I assume.
  • Yeah, all in all she's not great. The primary benefit of her AoE nuke compared to others is it's ability to clear tiles as well as do lots of damage - which is pretty good against Goons, but pales against the benefits of higher health and better general ulility from other AoE choices such as Thor, BP or Deadpool.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    I like using GSBW and BP while climbing in PvP. They cover the rainbow (BP has the same as Hood) It keeps my Hood healthy for later, harder fights.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Agreed on GSBW/LC/Hood being an awesome PvE team.
    No, GSBW can never be good in PvP, even with higher health or slightly cheaper skills. The problem is that all her skills require thought and timing. Hood and new and improved Loki have same or lower health and they are perceived as valuable and dangerous PvP players thanks to strong passives (no human interaction required to work well) and other skills being similarly not as reliant on the player's skill.
    Thanks for the mention of mHawkeye, need to try that comp out even if my Hood is 5/5/3 - don't see a merit in gimping his only nuke.
    cMags, as a red/blue user, and a strong shakeup option that empowers Dormammu's Aid even more and can make Deceptive Tactics usage easier, can also be a viable third even if you lose out on Intimidation synergy which seems minor.
    Oh and as for GSBW being slow, that she is, but coupled with any green accelerators like Hulk, Thor, Ragnarok, Daken she can fire Sniper Rifle very reliably, and on a team of LC/Hood she is perfect for those lvl 300 PvE nodes where Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Black Panther, etc. might be locked out icon_e_wink.gif Hood's leeching and LC's protect tile usually help negate the bulk of the damage. Hulk and 3* Thor tank green, red (also yellow, blue, black) for her as well.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GSBW was my first fully covered and maxed 3*, just by virtue of how the covers landed. She's more than a one-trick pony, because her purple is pretty incredible and does a lot to offset the cost of green or to fuel other people's quicker skills, but her health held her back even before they changed her damage to match her skill colors.

I never really tried her with Hood because by the time I got enough Hood blue for him to matter, I'd already stopped relying on her.
  • I use her often with hulk+BP. She only tanks purple, so it's easy to let her avoid damage. Let hulk get angry and you just fuel her sniper rifle. If green and purple are sparse, you can always go for black and yellow with BP. It really is a good team up if a little slow to get started. Her purple can often end matches as well with cascades, and specially paired with strike tiles.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Aaron5x5 wrote:
    Now if I could get a three star Lazy Hawkeye with the same powers...
    I want this to happen just so we can all call him LazyEye.

I predict 4* Hawkeye over 3*. I mean, if Jennifer Garner is a 4*, then surely Hawkeye must qualify.
  • Covering a color is not the same thing as covering a color well. Beast covers 3 colors like any other character but no one would consider him as good at covering any of the three colors he's responsible. You have an underpowered green by modern standards that's pretty much never going to get used defensively and would still be pretty hard to use offensively. You do have a purple which is a decent attack color but it's really not that strong because Sniper Rifle is weak by modern standards. Twin Pistols is passable as yellow coverage but it's generally very slow as well. Pistol can't be considered as covering red. If R/G/Y are supposed to be the main attack colors then you only covered those essential colors very weakly. Sure any team with The Hood is going to do okay because Dormammu's Aid is way overpowered, but this is a rather tame team using The Hood. Someone will look at this team and say the worst that can happen is I have no AP and you probably still don't have quite enough AP to use all your super expensive moves, and even if you do they're all within survivable range against any near top tier 3* or better. You'd be better off with Nick Fury + The Hood (pending availability). While you don't even cover green/red in this case, covering those colors weakly is not that different from not covering the color at all, and at least when Nick Fury gets any of his big moves off they do massive amount of damage, and they're still cheaper than GSBW's moves too.