Character rankings 12/14 edition: vote now!

2»

Comments

• I agree that Loki is very annoying now. Was sitting top of the PvP by a mile yesterday then got in a tough fight while shield hopping and even though I won, the constant purple spamming and trickery AP steals from Loki meant the win was so slow I'd lost 70 points by the end of the match. Still finished 1st, but that could have cost me. I'm torn whether to kill him first to avoid such issues, or leave him to the end because there are more directly dangerous opponents to tackle (usually XForce and 4Thor).
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that Loki is very annoying now. Was sitting top of the PvP by a mile yesterday then got in a tough fight while shield hopping and even though I won, the constant purple spamming and trickery AP steals from Loki meant the win was so slow I'd lost 70 points by the end of the match. Still finished 1st, but that could have cost me. I'm torn whether to kill him first to avoid such issues, or leave him to the end because there are more directly dangerous opponents to tackle (usually XForce and 4Thor).

True, it's difficult to ascertain whether to kill him first or leave him last. And the funny thing about the green is that it's effective in slowing ppl down even with one green. That is quite amazing.
    Spoit wrote:
    BP's key power isn't RotP, it's BP. Sure there are 1k strike tile moves now with gamora and rocket, but those are a lot more conditional, and are 4 match moves. BP is by far the best 3-move strike tile move

Fair point. I guess I don't use him that much since he is my 8th max character so I have less experience with him. He was useful in prodigal Sun when,I couldn't use Xforce.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the ever-expanding number of characters, it gets harder and harder to rank all of them in a single list. I wonder if we'll need separate rankings by star level at some point. Of course, this will lose the distinction of those characters so high- or low-ranked that they move into a neighboring tier.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    First I would like to say thank you to mischiefmaker for posting this. It is a lot of fun to read and when I was getting started really helped me with the game.
    From this ranking I am wondering what will happen to Sentry, Dare Devil, and Loki. I can see a huge drop in Sentry out of the top 10. His green costs a lot, and with a 3 turn CD tiles and so much self damage he has no sustainability. He is no longer fast which also puts him in the dog house some more. DareDevil is much better and I think he will sit just outside the top 10. I love playing him with Patch, or against someone who creates special tiles. Loki is now a better support character, but I think he is in the 15-20 range. He does no direct damage, and his best ability is his passive. He will be great on a maxed out roster, but not nearly as usefull on a transitioning roster.

I also think Blade will be highest new character and Mystique will be under rated. She might be light as far as HP goes but her blue and black can be awsome.
  • Agree thanks for posting this.

Not sure how it would work, but is there a way where the survey could be set up to have a "n/a" pool .... so for example i dont have a decent Fury or 4Thor so would prefer to rank XF then (in my experience) LThor....but i realise 4Thor better so just poked her up there.
    Gets rid of the variance around people without high covered R&G or Gamora too.
    The math would be tricky i imagine.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I am a little surprised to see Magneto rated so high; I guess because of a great pairing with XForce. If you do not have a usable XForce (say, having it at 2/2/5...), wouldn't you rate it under Lcap?
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    So hard to rank some of those 3*s with the specialty PvE team usage. The characters that are worthless in PvP, but make a killer PvE team together that I use quite often to crush high-level nodes...
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wolarsen wrote:
    I am a little surprised to see Magneto rated so high; I guess because of a great pairing with XForce. If you do not have a usable XForce (say, having it at 2/2/5...), wouldn't you rate it under Lcap?

Cmag need not only be paired with Xforce. Cmag and Lcap are both good, though they play very differently.

Cmag has 2 good hard hitting ability. His blue deals 4k dmg consistently.His red is a great board shake up and often cause a lot of cascades. Red only need 3 match and blue 4 match. With boosts, cmag is even faster and can take out support characters (like hood) in the shortest time.

Lcap is much slower than cmag and have only one offensive skill... but when Lcap gets going, his red shield can deal more dmg over time.

Hence, if you want to do quick dmg, cmag is better. If you are in a longer battle, then Lcap is the better option.
  • Voted! And during voting, realized how insanely pathetic invisible woman is...
  • Just a reminder that voting closes tomorrow, 12/24, at noon Pacific time. Get your votes in while you can!
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Top 11 would be

1) Wol4erine
    True healing, huge numbers, decent health, slows the opponent down, is incredibly fast, speeds your team up, has epic board shake... He's the best there is at what he does, and what he does is nice.

2) 4hor
    It would take a lunatic not to see that this is one of the best characters in the game. Her health is off the charts huge. With her blue + red ready, that's a character stunned for 4 turns and a second character automatically downed. Her AP requirements are also manageable, but are a little outsped by Wol4erine, making her second fiddle.

3) LDaken

A wealth of strike tiles, a cheap finisher move, a ton of effective health thanks to true healing every single turn. He outlasts and outperforms almost the entire cast.

4) LThor

A great end-game 14 AP team nuke, combined with a huge defensive health resevoir and the ability to ramp up his own abilities through one another, he's an all-star character who fights with the best of them.

5) The Hood

2 Words. Dormammu's Aid. This thing is insane, and now that his yellow is usable for something more than reaping Ap, he's even more a force to be reckoned with

6) CMag

Huge damage, massive defensive capability, good board shake, partially complimentary power set for XForce. Yes.

7) Wolverine (Patch)

With the buffs to daredevil, patch was indirectly buffed. He can now create the most, strongest set of strike tiles with the least drawback if daredevil is also prepped to react. The Best There Is is still nothing to scoff at, and his true healing every single turn gives him sustainability like no other.

8) Black Panther

The best user of Black in 3 star land, the ability to generate excellent defensive and offensive tiles, and a decent health pool make him a pretty respectable opponent. If he had either board shake or healing, he'd be even higher on this list.

9) Deadpool

Cheap, high damage red. Usable (albeit mediocre passive). Auto-Win button on purple once every now and then, or just a huge team-nuke instead. If it weren't for his low health-pool or lack of board shake, he'd get way more attention from way more people.

10) Nick Fury

Pretty loaded kit, honestly. He has a lot of ways to make you hurt, and he's pretty good at it.