Give PvP more than one way to win

Options
GuntherBlobel
GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
PvE has gotten really good (thank you), but the PvP is extremely frustrating right now. Because few players can score more than 500 points, some people are playing lots, just to run in place. They are not earning Progress awards, and they will likely miss the Ranking award they are aiming for in the final minutes. Not fun.

As it is, there is no point to playing in these 2 day long tournaments until the very end. People have been making this comment for a long time now and I'm surprised that nothing has been done to make paying PvP more fun to play.

Perhaps PvP would be more fun if there were multiple ways to win.

First, I would make Progression awards based on wins rather than points. If you win 2 rounds, you get a standard token... win 50 and you get a heroic token etc. It's simple, and freed from the frustrating scoring system that currently exists.

Second, I would use the Progression awards to reward less competitive teams and Ranking awards to reward experienced players. New players have more incentive to go after Tokens, so I would reward Progress with Tokens. Keep the Ranking awards as they are --- as a chance for experienced players to go for a coveted 3* cover.

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd be happy to see some sort of award for average level throughout an event, instead of ending level, but that adds a third type of award on top of progression and placement unless they replaced one. It might be interesting if they could do this some of the time, to have different meta strategies work best in different events.
  • They should try out a new scoring system (try it out one or two times) that goes off average points per hour rather than total points for ranking. This way more concistant players will get rewards they deserve and points scored near the end of tournaments don't always determine who wins, as they do in the current system.
  • Average points per hour is a horrible idea. Take the current meta of speed is all that matter, and turn it into a huge tournement-long grind. No Thank You.
  • I'd like to see some asynchronous PVP. No boosts, no buffs, no knowledge of who your opponent is playing with beforehand.

Each player gets to play 4-8 moves (against the AI) and then 'the turn' goes back to the opponent who gets 4-8 moves of their own. If the opponent doesn't respond in a set amount of time, he forfeits the match (or the AI gets to do the turns).

Might be really fun or really frustrating when the AI squanders all your hard work. icon_lol.gif

At least it would be different.
  • Awards for the end of certain intervals throughout the duration of the tourney would be interesting.

For example:

Tourney last 2 days,

Awards after each 12 hours...or maybe after each 24 hours. You could play the first 12/24 hours, or just play the end. But then each of the endings would be crazy, but you would get two shots at the apple.
  • i like the suggestion about tying the the progression rewards to # of wins the best. still leaves the ranking system to whatever scoring experiement the devs are trying out on us but it gives us a fun goal of getting wins. just lost 100 points? great! easier to find matches to win icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Catalyst wrote:
    i like the suggestion about tying the the progression rewards to # of wins the best. still leaves the ranking system to whatever scoring experiement the devs are trying out on us but it gives us a fun goal of getting wins. just lost 100 points? great! easier to find matches to win icon_e_smile.gif
    I think this just turns progression rewards into a trophy for "most newbies slain". Better to tie progression rewards to total points earned instead, so you can't win without holding the top of the hill, but you can still work through the rewards. They'd have to increase the numbers on the progress rewards a lot though, and it does sort of painfully encourage grinding low level teams, still.
  • Awards for the end of certain intervals throughout the duration of the tourney would be interesting.

For example:

Tourney last 2 days,

Awards after each 12 hours...or maybe after each 24 hours. You could play the first 12/24 hours, or just play the end. But then each of the endings would be crazy, but you would get two shots at the apple.

Marvel War of Heroes have done the interim rewards and it's really helped them to get early and consistent event participation. I'd like to see that in this game as well in some sort of fashion. You could have a 3* character and a hefty bounty of Iso-8 as the early reward and then keep the current 4* reward for the end. As of right now I'm just waiting until the last few hours of Widowmaker to start to avoid retaliations, and I doubt that's what D3P had in mind.
  • They should change the scoring system in the current systems so that players no longer loose points in the last 30min of a tournament this way there are no nasty supprises for players and the majority of people will be happy with this.