** Thor (Marvel NOW!) ** [PRE 2014-01]

Comments

• someguy wrote:
    Thor is the most powerful 2-star character and still one of the game's top dogs.

However, he is also the only such top-tier character available for free in the prologue.

Nerf him and you nerf newbies. Nerf newbies and they can't compete and lose interest, player population dwindles, game goes away.

Thor needs to stay strong for newbies to be able to compete and stick around long enough to get some heroic tokens and unlock 3-stars, and presumably pay some money to D3P for tokens or HP. I came up this exact way and ran Thor for the longest time until I got my hands on our old buddy Ragnarok.

For the record, this is also why I was opposed to the C. Storm yellow nerf, but D3P clearly isn't budging on that one.
    +1 to everything.

You can also get some Wolverine covers from the prologue and while he's no Thor, he can hold his own decently well.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    bongo king wrote:
    Magneto (marvel now) needs a small buff, he would be a good common character if he wasn't so slow/costly.
    Also, rare. I'm going to finish my classic mags before I get even halfway done with his covers
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    mechgouki wrote:
    I personally say instead of nerfing, they should focus on powering up those underpowered characters. How many people do you see using a 85 Moonstone?

Moonstone is probably better than you think; for one, it's unusual to see a purple ability that does damage. She's still not as good as Thor or Wolverine, though. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Ronfar wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:
    I personally say instead of nerfing, they should focus on powering up those underpowered characters. How many people do you see using a 85 Moonstone?

Moonstone is probably better than you think; for one, it's unusual to see a purple ability that does damage. She's still not as good as Thor or Wolverine, though. icon_e_sad.gif

She's not as good as Daken.

And her purple only does damage if there's no special tile on the board, which isn't particularly common.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    qtquazar wrote:
    I would love to see one of the worthless characters like Loki get a third power that does something like reverse the damage (or absorb the AP) of cascade combos, specifically to MESS WITH THOR.

This is actually an amazing idea both gameplay and lore wise
    +1
  • This post has actually generated far more intelligent commentary than I had intended.

OK, granted, nerfing per se may not be the best solution, nor did I mean what I said there in a *genuine* fashion.

I *do* feel, however, that one of the 'tile-generator cascades' of his two should be stripped (or reduced) and replaced by a different power. I don't really object to Thor's power level as much as I do the endless and tedious process of fighting him--hence the proposal for Loki as an appropriate counter-balance.

There was a particularly clever insight in this chain that Thor is for noobies, which hadn't occurred to me (and should have, given my particular SF2 example)--that's fine, but veteran players should at least be given a way to neutralize him (and, with the Loki proposal, could do so without impacting noobies attacking PvP abilities since the AI plays like garbage).

To whomever made the Zangief comparison, I disagree. Zangief took a lot of skill to pull off the 360, and was slow moving and a big target to boot--in other words, he was for experienced players and had very definite and evident vulnerabilities.

This game is very interesting in some ways. If the devs actually play it out right, it could get very strategic at high levels (in a way the PQ games have never been (PQ 2 was terribly balanced, and Galactrix was a random cascade-fest for those of you unfamiliar)). The devs are obviously setting up the higher-tier characters to have predominantly delayed tile and cumulative actions, which doesn't work at present against the lower-tier characters but very well could with a few tweaks, such as the Loki I mentioned or similar 'fluke reversal'/'board control' type characters. Just a few of those in the mix would be interesting, as the 3 and 4*s become potentially dominant the longer they're able to survive.

But who knows. At least, I like what I'm seeing in the game so far, and this is certainly the best PQ game to date (and one of the few freemium games I've spent more than a few hours on).
  • Again, you want to counter Thor?

Ragnarok.
    Magneto.
    Spider-man.

Any of those three can destroy or incapacitate Thor before he can spin up, at least when Thor is on defense. Ragnarok easily eclipses Thor on defense as well. The AI just doesn't use Magneto well though. It does use Spidey well, or as well as it can.

You want a 2* counter? No, sorry. That's why there are levels in the game.

Shame the 4*s suck.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Again, you want to counter Thor?

Ragnarok.
    Magneto.
    Spider-man.

Any of those three can destroy or incapacitate Thor before he can spin up, at least when Thor is on defense. Ragnarok easily eclipses Thor on defense as well. The AI just doesn't use Magneto well though. It does use Spidey well, or as well as it can.

Shame the 4*s suck.

Can't wait for the 3* version of Thor icon_twisted.gif
  • Spoit
    Zathrus wrote:

Ragnarok.
    Magneto.
    Spider-man.

Shame the 4*s suck.

You mean the one that everyone can't stop meowing about?
  • Spoit wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:

Ragnarok.
    Magneto.
    Spider-man.

Shame the 4*s suck.

You mean the one that everyone can't stop meowing about?

Nah, clor sucks icon_mrgreen.gif bring on the real deal
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Zathrus wrote:
    Ronfar wrote:
    mechgouki wrote:

She's not as good as Daken.

And her purple only does damage if there's no special tile on the board, which isn't particularly common.

The description is incorrect. She doesn't move your own special tiles, only ones owned by the opponent. You can spam Feral Claws all day and still have Moonstone do damage with her purple. And if your opponent is making special tiles, you want to get rid of them anyway...
  • Nah, they'll skip 3 star and make a 4 star version that's not very good at all.
  • Spoit
    SuperRag wrote:
    Nah, they'll skip 3 star and make a 4 star version that's not very good at all.
    Hmm a bag thor? Sound like kinda a-bhor
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Frog Thor, make it happen!
  • Just came across this player in the lightning rounds with a Thor that was only level 61 yet had 11600 strength. Is there a trick I'm missing where you can level up the cards even higher than normal? Is there a max level bonus you get when training a card with a max level card you already have?

The player was called "Nu" and I'd love to know how it's possible or what we're all missing here....
  • Are you sure it was a Thor and not a Ragnarok?
  • 11600 strength? You mean hp?

Rag in the lightening round has a huge boost and at max level is almost 20k hp.
  • Pretty sure you saw Ragnarok: level 61 has 3870 health, and he's 200% boosted, for 11610.
  • Pretty sure you saw Ragnarok: level 61 has 3870 health, and he's 200% boosted, for 11610.

It's pretty easy to mistake the two, it's caused me to waste more than one health pack when switching between the lighting rounds where I was using Rags and something else where I was using Thor. Damn you tiny screen on my phone, it never happens on the tablet.
  • I didn't know what I was doing, and just upgraded Thor as the covers came in... (didn't realize 1. there was power cap, 2. you could not remove or swap powers)

Ended up with 3/5/5 when 5/5/3 is clearly preferrable.

Is it worth the time and iso to rebuild him from scratch for the 2 AP reduction in red attack?
This discussion has been closed.