The Role of Luck (Yes Magneto, there IS a Santa Claus)

Options
2»

Comments

• _fulu_ wrote:
    lucky fella! Got a top 8 finish while ISO grinding. Kinda nice for the extra hps from selling the covers

Thanks.

Can't rely on this lucky streak anymore. I'll really need a second *** powerhouse if I want to do better (even with a 102 Magneto). my Spiderman only has one blue cover and my Ragnarok only has one red cover.

Still, I'm in a far better place than I was a week ago.

That's the goal! Constant improvement. Luckily there is a solid ceiling on progression so eventually the have nots CAN catch up if they quit crying and get trying.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    lucky fella! Got a top 8 finish while ISO grinding. Kinda nice for the extra hps from selling the covers

Thanks.

Can't rely on this lucky streak anymore. I'll really need a second *** powerhouse if I want to do better (even with a 102 Magneto). my Spiderman only has one blue cover and my Ragnarok only has one red cover.

If your match rating is low, you can still place top 8, but it takes a lot more matches, so you have to start sooner.
  • Over the past week on this forum I've done across a lot of Ill feelings towards the game and how unbalanced it is in favor of "top dogs" as if to discredit their perceived ease and therefore enjoyment in this game as it currently stands.

I believe that hard effort went into building *** teams.
    I believe that sometimes, $$$ was involved.
    I believe that the role of luck is underrated.

I've been playing for 6-7 weeks, and only now am I beginning to approach competitiveness (I.e. top-50 finishes in Lightning Rounds; yes, those tournaments are brutal).

I'm building a Magneto (currently 89, 2/2/5), and have been playing only Magneto rounds seriously (I tank in the Loki round). The first time I placed, my then 41 Magneto was flanked by Classic Storm and Thor. Just now, I placed with a 77 Magneto flanked by Wolverine and Thor (in all cases my **s are maxed out).

I avoided Ragnarok teams as much as possible and would never reach 500 points but somehow I didn't fall far enough to miss the top 50.

Here is the real luck:

1st tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto blue cover
    2nd tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto purple cover

(I used the HP I hoarded from The Hunt and previous tournaments to buy 2 purple covers).

Merry tinykitty Christmas!

That's the game!

Never felt the need to weigh in much on topics until I saw your post. I think we're in about the same situation (not exact, but similar). I don't think of myself as one of the top few players, but I've been playing long enough - from the first week.

I've seen people around me who started around the same time I did, pay a little bit for hero points, and rocket past me in terms of character levels. That discrepancy only got larger when Lightning Rounds came about - especially after introduced the 200% buff for 3* villains. I placed top 8 without too much effort in one of the Lightning rounds before the buff, but didn't cash in on that quick enough. The 200% buff was introduced and I was left hanging with a 2/1 Doom and nothing else. As time went by, I couldn't even place top 100 to get a Heroic token for the life of me and eventually just gave up on Lightning rounds altogether.

One fine day, I drew a single red Ragnarok. After like two weeks of competing in non-lightning tournaments, I found myself with about 3000 hero points. I dumped 2500 of those into Rag's red skill, tried it out for a bit, and decided I would try and get at least a 0/5 Ragnarok so I could get back to competing in Lightning rounds. It was in the middle of The Hunt when I finally got enough for a 3rd skill increase to bring Ragnarok up to 0/4. Lightning started, decided to give it a go and surprisingly, I did fairly well. I placed consistently within the top 50, sometimes in top 25, and very rarely in top 8. By the end of that, my 3* villain cards had an immense boost: Doom (3/2 to 5/4), Ragnarok (0/4 to 3/5), Loki (1/1 to 3/3), Magneto (1/0/1 to 2/2/2), Hood (still at 0/0/1 because I don't participate in those).

The moral of the story is, you can whine about how broken Ragnarok is but you can't do without it. I guess luck played a minor factor, but not very much. After playing for such a long time, I have only drew one single red Ragnarok card from a Heroic token.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am finally starting to have solid fighting teams where I dont get blasted. Got lucky with Rags as most of my 3 * pulls were always him. I had 7 covers for him before I got more than 2 for any other 3* villain. The last couple days have been unreal though with the 3* I have pulled, 2 spideys (blue and yellow) out of the 4 pumped up tokens, finished top 50 in lightning and pulled a Doom (black), then pulled another doom (blue) out of the standard pack, then pulled two IM40s out of the heroic tokens I won (only kept the blue, already maxed the red) then today got top 25 in Doom lightning for another doom black and then pulled a black widow GS (green) out of a standard pack.

Overall Doom can go from level 28 to 63, Spidey from 53 to 77, IM40 from 102 to 114, and Black widow GS from 28 to 41. And tomorrow I get a green rags from the supply refuel. Need to get a lot of ISOs now lol.
  • Misguided wrote:
    _fulu_ wrote:

Thanks.

If your match rating is low, you can still place top 8, but it takes a lot more matches, so you have to start sooner.

I started immediately since I knew I didn't have the speed or power to attack *** teams. I just realized soon enough that matches will rarely yield 25 points or higher.
    _fulu_ wrote:
    _fulu_ wrote:

Thanks.

That's the goal! Constant improvement. Luckily there is a solid ceiling on progression so eventually the have nots CAN catch up if they quit crying and get trying.

Thanks again. I think a high level guide on thresholds and ceilings would help transitions from novice to intermediate to advanced. For obvious reasons I can't do it myself.
    Over the past week on this forum I've done across a lot of Ill feelings towards the game and how unbalanced it is in favor of "top dogs" as if to discredit their perceived ease and therefore enjoyment in this game as it currently stands.

I believe that hard effort went into building *** teams.
    I believe that sometimes, $$$ was involved.
    I believe that the role of luck is underrated.

I've been playing for 6-7 weeks, and only now am I beginning to approach competitiveness (I.e. top-50 finishes in Lightning Rounds; yes, those tournaments are brutal).

I'm building a Magneto (currently 89, 2/2/5), and have been playing only Magneto rounds seriously (I tank in the Loki round). The first time I placed, my then 41 Magneto was flanked by Classic Storm and Thor. Just now, I placed with a 77 Magneto flanked by Wolverine and Thor (in all cases my **s are maxed out).

I avoided Ragnarok teams as much as possible and would never reach 500 points but somehow I didn't fall far enough to miss the top 50.

Here is the real luck:

1st tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto blue cover
    2nd tournament: Diabolic Token -- Classic Magneto purple cover

(I used the HP I hoarded from The Hunt and previous tournaments to buy 2 purple covers).

Merry tinykitty Christmas!

That's the game!

Never felt the need to weigh in much on topics until I saw your post. I think we're in about the same situation (not exact, but similar). I don't think of myself as one of the top few players, but I've been playing long enough - from the first week.

I've seen people around me who started around the same time I did, pay a little bit for hero points, and rocket past me in terms of character levels. That discrepancy only got larger when Lightning Rounds came about - especially after introduced the 200% buff for 3* villains. I placed top 8 without too much effort in one of the Lightning rounds before the buff, but didn't cash in on that quick enough. The 200% buff was introduced and I was left hanging with a 2/1 Doom and nothing else. As time went by, I couldn't even place top 100 to get a Heroic token for the life of me and eventually just gave up on Lightning rounds altogether.

One fine day, I drew a single red Ragnarok. After like two weeks of competing in non-lightning tournaments, I found myself with about 3000 hero points. I dumped 2500 of those into Rag's red skill, tried it out for a bit, and decided I would try and get at least a 0/5 Ragnarok so I could get back to competing in Lightning rounds. It was in the middle of The Hunt when I finally got enough for a 3rd skill increase to bring Ragnarok up to 0/4. Lightning started, decided to give it a go and surprisingly, I did fairly well. I placed consistently within the top 50, sometimes in top 25, and very rarely in top 8. By the end of that, my 3* villain cards had an immense boost: Doom (3/2 to 5/4), Ragnarok (0/4 to 3/5), Loki (1/1 to 3/3), Magneto (1/0/1 to 2/2/2), Hood (still at 0/0/1 because I don't participate in those).

The moral of the story is, you can whine about how broken Ragnarok is but you can't do without it. I guess luck played a minor factor, but not very much. After playing for such a long time, I have only drew one single red Ragnarok card from a Heroic token.

Great story that validates my points. I have friends in meatspace who play, and they fairly represent the novices intermediate curve. The most advanced player started from day one but only started gaining ground after getting Ragnarok covers almost exactly like yourself.
    I am finally starting to have solid fighting teams where I dont get blasted. Got lucky with Rags as most of my 3 * pulls were always him. I had 7 covers for him before I got more than 2 for any other 3* villain. The last couple days have been unreal though with the 3* I have pulled, 2 spideys (blue and yellow) out of the 4 pumped up tokens, finished top 50 in lightning and pulled a Doom (black), then pulled another doom (blue) out of the standard pack, then pulled two IM40s out of the heroic tokens I won (only kept the blue, already maxed the red) then today got top 25 in Doom lightning for another doom black and then pulled a black widow GS (green) out of a standard pack.

Overall Doom can go from level 28 to 63, Spidey from 53 to 77, IM40 from 102 to 114, and Black widow GS from 28 to 41. And tomorrow I get a green rags from the supply refuel. Need to get a lot of ISOs now lol.

I am almost certain so many jumps in competitiveness are due to circumstances such as yours. Thanks for sharing and validating my hunch.
  • Am i the only one that broke thru the top with a magneto not a ragnarok
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Am i the only one that broke thru the top with a magneto not a ragnarok

Magnerdo and Adam Magnus did too. The rest of us used rags to get mags, from what I remember.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

Magnerdo and Adam Magnus did too. The rest of us used rags to get mags, from what I remember.

magnerdo is a fantastic name, damn
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    _fulu_ wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

magnerdo is a fantastic name, damn

I laugh nearly everytime I see him in matchmaking, and skip him out of respect.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:

I'm in the same boat, on the cusp now with a 102, 2/3/5 build.

I got my maxed **s and then a 31, 1/2 Ragnarok and a 15, 2,1,1 Spiderman (2 in Web Bandages).

Leveling Magneto reduced my Iso to 6k and I have 430 HP.

Any general advice on how to move forward?
  • DumDumDugn wrote:

Not sure exactly what you mean, but when I broke into top 8 Ragnarok, I didn't have any villain covers. After that, it was Ragnarok, of course.
  • As far as Lightning rounds, Ragnarok is what put me past the barrier. The lightning rounds are probably the biggest barrier to overcome in the game. Such tough competition in such a small time. Everything else is doable by anyone who puts in the time and gets a bit of luck (My friend at work who is 2-3 weeks behind me and hasn't spent anything got a top 5 place in the Avengers Tourney last night, and had he stayed up for the end, possibly could have secured #1).

Finally having a decent Ragnarok: He is amazing in Lightning Rounds, and only good anywhere else, IMO. There are many times I'd take others over him elsewhere. Maybe once I get my Grey Widow green maxed, he'll be a more common team member.