*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• I feel that the attempt to incorpoate healing while not destroying the core gameplay (this game only make sense if you can get crippled after a hard fight) or revenue ends up like an attempt of trying to incorporate healing in Street Fighter. It's okay to have a game that doesn't have healing, and yes there are people with healing power in the comic but there are also people with godlike powers in the comic too.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    [anchor=beast1]Beast (Classic)[/anchor]
    3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki link.
    At Max Level: HP: 6800 Tile damage: 70/13/79/12/61/11
      Mutagenic Breakthrough - 8 Green AP
      Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Creates a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile that, when activated, converts 4 surrounding basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 28 Level 3: Reduces to 2 turn cooldown Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 33 Level 5: Reduces to 1 turn cooldown
      Max Level: 4 strength 105 special tiles
        Animal Inside - Green 9 AP
        Jumping and slashing as he moves through enemies, Hank can barely control his animal side. Deals 137 damage to all enemies. If there's a friendly Blue special tile on the board, Beast smashes up his lab destroying 3 random tiles, each dealing 33 to all enemies but not generating AP.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: 164 damage to all enemies Level 3: Destroys 6 random tiles Level 4: 219 damage to all enemies Level 5: Destroys 12 random tiles
        Max Level: 696 damage / 12 tiles destroyed at 104 damage each
          Medical Marvel - Yellow 11 AP
          Dr. McCoy uses his medical triage skills to patch up the team before they rush back into battle. Gives a burst of 274 health to allies. If there's a friendly Blue speical tile on the board, he provides a gadget to aid them. 1 Yellow tiles become strength 16 Protect tiles.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Gives a burst of 356 health to allies. Level 3: Inceases to 2 Protect tiles. Level 4: Gives a burst of 493 health to allies. Level 5: Inceases to 3 strength 21 Protect tiles.
          Max Level: 1564 healing / 3 strength 69 Protect tiles

Original post:
          IceIX announced that a new X-Men member would be arriving soon, and also announced that a character with a name starting with B would be arriving soon.

Nonce you have a couple typo's. It is 8 blue not green AP. In his blue it is countdown not cooldown. I think IceEX added it for you so I believe you would have typed it correctly.

On the playable end 5,5,3 looks like the best build. I am glad his blue goes to 1 countdown which makes it much stronger of a power and green will be 1900 damage plus strike tiles to all at level 5. For 9 green that is not bad. His yellow will be like a protect tile bonus if you don't have a better yellow available. I think he will be a solid playable 2nd tier character. If he has high health it will make him a little more interesting as well.
        • Do you ever think they will add other covers to that set? So that we can see all of them in game?
        • His powers look really underwhelming overall.

His blue is pretty mediocre. It generates more/stronger special tiles than other powers, but the fact that it takes 3 turns of waiting to do so makes it borderline useless, especially since randomly placed tiles are often destroyed before they can fire off.

His green is pathetic. The base effect is far too weak, and by the time that you've gathered 8 blue and 9 green, there are much better things you could be doing with them than using the poor man's Call the Storm.

Yellow is by far the worst. It's more expensive than Anti-Gravity Device, but barely heals for more, despite Beast being nearly twice OBW's level. The protect tiles are also very weak, and you don't even get them unless you've already used his blue.

He looks like a character who takes forever to get going on offense and is thoroughly outclassed by what other characters could do with that much AP. And on defense, the AI probably won't know to hold off on his green/yellow until you get his blue out. On top of that, his health isn't all that impressive.
        • Spoit
          Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
          Phantron wrote:
          I feel that the attempt to incorpoate healing while not destroying the core gameplay (this game only make sense if you can get crippled after a hard fight) or revenue ends up like an attempt of trying to incorporate healing in Street Fighter. It's okay to have a game that doesn't have healing, and yes there are people with healing power in the comic but there are also people with godlike powers in the comic too.
          Even before the nerf, godlike power was nothing to write home about icon_lol.gif
        • Spoit wrote:
          Phantron wrote:
          I feel that the attempt to incorpoate healing while not destroying the core gameplay (this game only make sense if you can get crippled after a hard fight) or revenue ends up like an attempt of trying to incorporate healing in Street Fighter. It's okay to have a game that doesn't have healing, and yes there are people with healing power in the comic but there are also people with godlike powers in the comic too.
          Even before the nerf, godlike power was nothing to write home about icon_lol.gif

I always thought one day we'll see a patch message like this:

"Today we implemented True Godlike. The following characters now start with True Godlike, a passive ability which randomly kills everyone who isn't also True Godlike:

Sentry: Because he's got the power of a million suns.
          Thor: Because he's Thor.
          Thanos: New character who is definitely Godlike.

The following character now have Fake Godlike:

Ragnarok

We feel the implementation of this power is consistent with the comic books and will add to the gameplay because making things more like the comic book must be a good thing."
        • Polares
          Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
          Phantron wrote:
          Spoit wrote:
          Phantron wrote:

I always thought one day we'll see a patch message like this:

"Today we implemented True Godlike. The following characters now start with True Godlike, a passive ability which randomly kills everyone who isn't also True Godlike:

Sentry: Because he's got the power of a million suns.
          Thor: Because he's Thor.
          Thanos: New character who is definitely Godlike.

The following character now have Fake Godlike:

Ragnarok

We feel the implementation of this power is consistent with the comic books and will add to the gameplay because making things more like the comic book must be a good thing."

Well, in the game right now Thor and Sentry already have this True Godlike, as they are the best characters right now by a long margin. And Sentry is probably the most powerful Marvel characters (big deities a part - Galaktus, Celestials, Infinity, etc.) and Thor is probably the second most powerful Marvel character (toghether with the Hulk). So I get why eveybody wants these characters to feel really powerful even when they have to be unbalanced for that reason.

If the game wasn't that competitive it would matter less I suppose, this is why I think some kind of single player (not competitive) is something this game really needs. Even PvE without positions (just with the progression rewards) could be really great in the long run for this game.
        • wymtime
          Muspel wrote:
          His powers look really underwhelming overall.

His blue is pretty mediocre. It generates more/stronger special tiles than other powers, but the fact that it takes 3 turns of waiting to do so makes it borderline useless, especially since randomly placed tiles are often destroyed before they can fire off.

His blue goes to 1 countdown at level 5 so it is not that bad for 4 random special tiles.
          Muspel wrote:

His green is pathetic. The base effect is far too weak, and by the time that you've gathered 8 blue and 9 green, there are much better things you could be doing with them than using the poor man's Call the Storm.

People who he can pair with and use green: Hulk, Psylock, HT, Daken, Iron Man, BP, CMags. IM40 might be too slow to actually use and there are a couple more bed 3* I am not mentioning but his green does work it is just not elite. Also it is more like a poor mans sniper rifle with the board shake up.

Muspel wrote:
          Yellow is by far the worst. It's more expensive than Anti-Gravity Device, but barely heals for more, despite Beast being nearly twice OBW's level. The protect tiles are also very weak, and you don't even get them unless you've already used his blue.

I completely agree his Yellow is awful. If it is the only yellow power and it happens to go off it will be a free extra turn. The problem is if you are using his yellow you are looking to defend against powers not match damage. This will give you maybe an extra 2 turns if you are loosing, and chances are if you are using Beast and needing his yellow to stretch out the win you are probably better off loosing and lowering your MMR since you will be needing health packs anyway.
          Muspel wrote:
          He looks like a character who takes forever to get going on offense and is thoroughly outclassed by what other characters could do with that much AP. And on defense, the AI probably won't know to hold off on his green/yellow until you get his blue out. On top of that, his health isn't all that impressive.

He is 2nd tier but I don't think he will be as slow as LCap, IM40. His 5 blue will really determine if he is playable. If he gives strong tiles for attack and protect he will be useful on a diverse roster. I would put ISO in him over Captain Marvel, and She Hulk from the recent characters released.
        • There should be no fake healing powers that don't have an unconditional side effect, like anti grav device increasing countdowns.
        • Ludaa
          Ludaa Posts: 542
          I don't understand why they would release him as such. Nothing exciting about any of his powers. Healing powers are forever cursed now. His green likely clears his special tiles away, and if I have to save up two diff colors I'm just going to use Sentry to end the match. They could've at least given him 8500hp. Shouldn't new characters at least be a little op somehow, to make us want to buy covers? Doesn't make any sense on D3's part.

I wanted to dump my stash into a new character, damnit! Back to hoarding.
        • Polares wrote:
          Well, in the game right now Thor and Sentry already have this True Godlike, as they are the best characters right now by a long margin. And Sentry is probably the most powerful Marvel characters (big deities a part - Galaktus, Celestials, Infinity, etc.) and Thor is probably the second most powerful Marvel character (toghether with the Hulk). So I get why eveybody wants these characters to feel really powerful even when they have to be unbalanced for that reason.

If the game wasn't that competitive it would matter less I suppose, this is why I think some kind of single player (not competitive) is something this game really needs. Even PvE without positions (just with the progression rewards) could be really great in the long run for this game.

Well, Hulk doesn't have True Indestructible, and while Wolverine is the most popular character in the Marvel franchise, he sure doesn't have True Autowin either. I think the distinction of True Healing/Fake Healing based on comic books is as stupid as having True Godlike versus Fake Godlike, and indeed we kind of have this 'True Godlike' already that seems to be justified because the said character was a living God in the comics. Some of the balance notes literally reads like: "Sentry can kill a guy with one finger in the comics, so we want you to feel like you can do that too, all the while keeping the game totally balanced."

It'd be pretty cool if the they just create a NPC version of key figures. There's nothing wrong having an especially powerful version of Thor or Sentry as a boss character that you must defeat.
        • wymtime
          Phantron wrote:
          Polares wrote:

Well, Hulk doesn't have True Indestructible, and while Wolverine is the most popular character in the Marvel franchise, he sure doesn't have True Autowin either. I think the distinction of True Healing/Fake Healing based on comic books is as stupid as having True Godlike versus Fake Godlike, and indeed we kind of have this 'True Godlike' already that seems to be justified because the said character was a living God in the comics. Some of the balance notes literally reads like: "Sentry can kill a guy with one finger in the comics, so we want you to feel like you can do that too, all the while keeping the game totally balanced."

It'd be pretty cool if the they just create a NPC version of key figures. There's nothing wrong having an especially powerful version of Thor or Sentry as a boss character that you must defeat.

Sentry as a boss battle would be epic. Imagine a 300 Sentry to battle. I also think they could use the 4* for boss battles as well. The new X-Force would be killer. They could add Thantos, and other huge bosses as well. Now they just need to get Fury to say "Finish him!!!"
        • wymtime wrote:
          Phantron wrote:

Sentry as a boss battle would be epic. Imagine a 300 Sentry to battle. I also think they could use the 4* for boss battles as well. The new X-Force would be killer. They could add Thantos, and other huge bosses as well. Now they just need to get Fury to say "Finish him!!!"

I'm thinking they can just have a special version of the guy. Doesn't even have to be super high level. Like you could just have a NPC only version of Sentry that has 6 abilities, one for each color, and have say 5 times the HP compared to normal. In this game difficulty seems to be simulated either with mega levels or totally unfair advantage via goons. Why not just make special characters with a ton of HPs but relatively normal abilities? Sure a character with 6 abilities can't possibly work if he's playable, but that's why he doesn't have to be playable as a boss.
        • theshadeofopal
          theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
          Typhon13 wrote:
          There should be no fake healing powers that don't have an unconditional side effect, like anti grav device increasing countdowns.

How bout their should be no fake healing powers. I sort of understand devs not wanting to replace old fake heals but its been months now. They clearly don't know how to balance them given how crazy expensive they are for what they do. No one puts more than 3 into fake heals and they tend to be more of a liability on defense due to expense that likely make the ai go for them. Whoever designed she hulk was probably pissed when they realized "funbalancing" was going to instantly relegate her to lower mid tier. I'm not saying bring back true healing, just don't give new characters nigh pointless abilities.

Also, more on topic, why the hell does beast have plain old human durability? Balance and theme wise, that seems really wrong.
        • It hurts my soul that I'm busting my **** on PvE to get covers for this character.
        • ark123 wrote:
          It hurts my soul that I'm busting my **** on PvE to get covers for this character.

I felt the same, so i stopped yesterday.He's terrible. Low health, his aoe at max does around 1800 and his healing is trash. They make these new characters because people ask but they make them ****. D3 loves seeing everyone use sentry since hes they're money maker.

Deadpool isthe same. Low health, aoe would be great but costs way too much and his healing is ****. why would hey stop making **** characters when people still spend money on a game that is getting worse. SMH
        • ronin_san
          ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
          I wanted a Beast so I could do the "x character required" battles, not because he is a good character to use. He fits into the same she-hulk, falcon, deadpool group. If I get a cover? Yay. If not? No problem.
        • this is another BIG DISAPPOINTING effort from the Devs..all i can say is they ruin heroes names with this **** powers what they give them so far ..DP is also not so good ..they should put more health to new released characters and make someone to stand against Sentry and Hood and Daken of course ..make someone who can good enough not like this ..or make freaking Sentry 4* he is to strong for 3*
        • Is it me, or does Beast's symbol look a little too much like Black Widow's? I think his actual test tube symbol in color looks fine, but on tiles...

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy on something so little, but I found myself thinking "Why is Black Widow on Yellow?" icon_question.gif
        • Phaentom
          Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
          I noticed Beast max level with 3 covers is 45 and She Hulk is 53, intentional or just an error?