** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) ** [PRE 2015-03]

Comments

• I feel like purple 5 is mandatory. With purple at five you have a near guarantee to get two match fives - of which one crit tile can usually be manipulated to match on cascade, then you match the other. Thats a TON of damage.

I put red at 5 because its an insane amount of damage, and the AP it gains is a big deal. Also, I usually pair MNMags with Cstorm, who has a significantly better blue.

I would go 3/5/5. I don't often use his red because a cheaper red will finish off a damaged enemy, but doing 80% of an enemys health when I can is a big bonus.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    saurus wrote:
    I feel like purple 5 is mandatory. With purple at five you have a near guarantee to get two match fives - of which one crit tile can usually be manipulated to match on cascade, then you match the other. Thats a TON of damage.

I put red at 5 because its an insane amount of damage, and the AP it gains is a big deal. Also, I usually pair MNMags with Cstorm, who has a significantly better blue.
    Agreed. I used to be a 4/5/4 guy but after a certain point in the 2*-3* transition, you really only use MNMags with CStorm if you're taking on PVE goons or something. Still using the pairing today in the PVE, actually. And I've never used MNMags blue with CStorm costing only another 1 or 2 AP to get off. So, it's hard to put any covers into an ability you will never use.

As a result, 3/5/5 is really the best way to go. It might cost a little more red to cast but you can get a lot more AP from it going off, depending on where it gets placed. That can usually charge some other abilities too while saving up for another blue blast from Storm.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even if you didn't pair him with everyone, but had to max level him. 3/5/5 makes the most sense. The reason being, the more you level blue the less effective it becomes, because the CD timer countdown keeps going up. While you do increase red's cost, it does increase the effectiveness of the spell. Ask yourself this, would you rather have a skill that's expensive to cast, but guarenteed to go off, or a skill that's cheap to cast but may or may not go off? That's what you do with his red. MN.Mags needs a buff, but as is, 3/5/5 is the most playable. If you choose not to fully level him, then 1/5/4 is the fastest build.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Correct me if I'm wrong--I got his covers a long time ago--but 5 in red generates AP whereas 3 or 4 in red do not. If this is true, that 5 red is a must and 3/5/5 is the best option.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    All levels of the red cover generate AP. Additional covers vary the amount of time the CD timer lasts, initial damage and size of the block of AP shattered/collected.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    daibar wrote:
    Is there any level where Magneto can Tank Blue for a maxed cstorm, but not for OBW (2-5-5)? How about OBW (3-5-5)?

Currently have mine at 5-5-1. Never seem to get red covers, but have sold tons of blue and purple.

Short answer is no, because your Storm is already maxed. If she were a few levels lower then yes.

Both OBW and cStorm have blue as 2nd strong color. But Magneto has it as 1st strong color. The moment Magneto overtakes blue from (maxed) Storm he does the same to (maxed) OBW. OBW can tank for Storm if she is "to the left" of Storm (center - left - right) and also maxed, so must have at least 3 in purple. Magneto can either tank for them both or be kept under leveled to leave blue for espionage.
  • CafeMaia wrote:
    so, I know I should decide this by myself, but im really having a bad time making a choice.

5/5/3 - the 5 blue def makes a lot of damage, and its good that it clears the entire board so you don't waste its potential on corner countdowns. But the problem is that it takes 4 turns to activate making it very vulnerable to be matched and just waste your aps

3/5/5 - I really cant see much use on having a 5 red, since it only expands the 3x3 block to a 5x5 block, but at a cost of +3 red aps, that doesnt seem like a good idea.

4/5/4 - Appears to be the best choice, only problem is that 5 blue is way better than 4 blue, since it clears the entire board and you dont risk wasting that many blue aps on a relatively wasted corner countdown

5/4/4 - This could be a good way out of the afore mentioned issues, but do I REALLY want to give up on generating 5 blue aps and sticking to only 4?

so yeah, I know I prob havent helped much, but I would appreciate your guys help on solving this dilemma. I currently have a 5/4/4 and a red and purple cover waiting to be recruited (first one expires in 3 days)

Let me know what you guys think!

I've tried each build before and the best is 4/5/4.
    While it doesn't clear the entire board it does a fair chunk of it and the tiles aren't as vulnerable so it's more likely to actually go off. And 5 red is great because it gains alot of ap when successful, however I have found the cost to be too high to get it off most matches. as well as only have 3 blue makes his blue completely useless. While you can place multiple blue tiles down that do off quickly it doesn't get enough of the board to be useful
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    edited August 2014
    Nightmist wrote:
    I've tried each build before and the best is 4/5/4.
    While it doesn't clear the entire board it does a fair chunk of it and the tiles aren't as vulnerable so it's more likely to actually go off. And 5 red is great because it gains alot of ap when successful, however I have found the cost to be too high to get it off most matches. as well as only have 3 blue makes his blue completely useless. While you can place multiple blue tiles down that do off quickly it doesn't get enough of the board to be useful
    I agree -- I used MN Magento a ton when I only had 2* characters, and used both 3/5/5 and 4/5/4 extensively. 5 in red is great because it's a huge effect, but the cost difference of 11 AP vs 14 AP is actually much more important. I found myself casting the red a lot of more often with 4 in red, which would add cascades and damage earlier, leading to faster wins. (I used to pair him with Spidey to take down really high level PvE opponents, too, and casting red multiple times was much easier at 11 AP than 14 AP. That doesn't apply as much any more, although a C.Storm combo can still do that somewhat.)

You almost never use his blue power since you're using the blue he generates for something else, but it was nice to have a marginally effective skill at 4 covers (if the countdown goes off) than a pretty much useless one at 3 covers. Honestly, it's better at 1-2 covers (for the quick countdown and cheap cost) or 5 covers (for the larger effect), but none of those are ideal for maxing him.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Only maxed mine this week at 355 and have to say, while the damage at 5 red is immense, it does take an absolute age to get it in place. And a couple of times it has been matched, so didn't even go off

Will stick with this build for now but won't be surprised if I end up switching to 454 at some point
  • Time it takes to fire of MNM Red: 5 red matchs and 1 turn = 6
    Time it takes to fire of MNM Blue (at 4): 3 blue or purple matches and 3 turns = 6

Red, however, does more damage and generates AP. His blue is only useful above 3 covers if you use it to explode unreachable goon tiles, and even then, the CD on it is too high, you have to fire it BEFORE the goons do theirs typically to destroy the board with the tiles on it. Even at max (destroys the entire board) it's like 800 damage. His blue really needs some flat damage to go with it, otherwise it's the most terrible power on the list and deserves to be 3 covers because of that fact.
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Max 5 blue usually does around the 1000-1200 range for damage, but it takes forever for that damn countdown tile to go off. I originally wanted to go 4/5/4, not sure how I ended up with 5/3/5. I just got a purple cover so I'll start respec now.
  • Wetzilla
    Wetzilla Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    I'd really love to be able to use 2 star Magneto in PvP, he meshes so well with 2 star Storm, but his AI is so bad that he's useless when defending. He uses his purple ability so poorly, he will commonly not even make a blue match with them, and I've even seen him use it on tiles that are already blue. I love going up against him because he's basically a non-factor, it turns it into a 3 v 2 match. It would be nice if he would at least use them to make as many matches of 3 as possibly.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if we are eventually going to see 2* Magneto with the abilities (cut in about half) of the 3* variant following the R60 update.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    yogi_ wrote:
    I wonder if we are eventually going to see 2* Magneto with the abilities (cut in about half) of the 3* variant following the R60 update.

Doubtful. He is a completely separate character.
  • seems like the usage of mn mag will increase from patch R60 onwards, due to the combo with modern hawkeye. Quite good imo. He is quite a good char to use to begin with already.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Hannybal wrote:
    seems like the usage of mn mag will increase from patch R60 onwards, due to the combo with modern hawkeye. Quite good imo. He is quite a good char to use to begin with already.

yeah I remember when I first started playing the game's meta was just waaay too fast for him to be really viable. some things got nerfed, the game slowed a good amount and bam he became a very solid character.

he is my go to pair up with doom for when I do villain lightning rounds as getting quick access to max technopathic strike + max summon demons on my 120 doom is really not funny with the damage it can do when he's boosted
  • Red Panda wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Is there any level where Magneto can Tank Blue for a maxed cstorm, but not for OBW (2-5-5)? How about OBW (3-5-5)?

Currently have mine at 5-5-1. Never seem to get red covers, but have sold tons of blue and purple.

It's possible but mostly it depends on where you position your team. If blue is the same for OBW & CStorm place OBW either in lead (center position) or secondary position (left) with CStorm in third spot (right) Since blue is MNMagneto's primary color he'll have to be under levelled to avoid going past OBW to maintain her espionage advantage.

I tried this out with CStorm. Unfortunately the hidden decimals made it so with Mag Now at level 83, CStorm always tanks blue even with Mags in the center. At level 84 Magneto always tanks blue, even with CStorm in the center. (Blue at 49 for both). I don't have a fully leveled OBW so haven't been able to see who tanks what.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    I just assumed 3/5/5 for the longest time, but I'm also hopping on the 4/5/4 bandwagon after having tried it for a while. It basically gives MNMags two usable abilities instead of one, since 3/5/5 Mags rarely gets a red off (probably under 20% of my games; 14 AP takes ages). It was always more of a damage finisher than AP generator anyway, which 4 red still works well as. Blue tends to remain meaningless in either build due to near-100% pairing with CStorm.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Just sold a blue cover. Staying at 3/5/5 here. I usually run him with cStorm as everyone else does, but I also like to include Hood. Blue just gets worse at 4 but red while expensive gets better; I use red fairly often in this comp. Since the team runs off AP generation, extra AP earned doesn't hurt. You are looking at 25 AP back from 14 which is better return than Twin Pistols! Levels 3 and 4 return 9 AP for 11 spent (whut?).
  • yogi_ wrote:
    It's already R62 but devs told on a Marvel podcast (it was posted on the forum by someone too) they still have lots of chars that they want to be in the game and they are working on adding them as soon as possible. They also talked about how they usually have a discussion internally about which version/universe of a char to be added to the game. Sometimes they can't decide and add multiple versions resulting in chars like 3 different Black Widows. Seeing they already added 2 different Magneto and they sounding like having a backlog of wanted chars, I think it would be safe to say it would take a long time for another version of Mags to appear in the game.

I think Mawkeye funbalance moved Mags in char ranking in the game. If I voted, I would totally vote it higher than usual just because of his new partners in crime. The fact that he can team up with more than CStorm (Mawkeye, also pairs nicely with Bullseye and IM40) now is great I think. And might I say they did a really good job on Mawkeye funbalance and Daken's third ability. Both of those have more than one viable build catering to different playstyles/teams since all of their skills are so good.
This discussion has been closed.