Free Cover slots as a reward?

Options
I have searched for this idea but could not find a specific thread for it. Why don't the developers offer free cover slots as a reward in game? This would certainly keep me more interested in grinding rather than a cover I already own? Or for for a cover that will sit unused as I don't have the dish or other means to buy slots. What does every one think?

I am sure people or the developer will say the coins are fairly well place to allow you to buy your own and for those
Ike me who are free players this would add a lot of incentive to keep coming back.

Comments

• They want people to spend on the game, which is quite understandable.

Slots are the only way they can make sure they get a bit of cash from F2P players.

They are not interested in players who spend nothing at all. They want to get money from players.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Slots are the only way they can make sure they get a bit of cash from F2P players.
    I think I remember Ice saying a few months ago that roster slots were the number one selling item so I really don't think they'd ever be given out as prizes. And that's what winning HP is for anyway.
  • HairyDave wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I think I remember Ice saying a few months ago that roster slots were the number one selling item so I really don't think they'd ever be given out as prizes. And that's what winning HP is for anyway.
    Do they post stats about sales someplace...?
  • I'd love this, but wouldn't be an equal reward for all players.
    Someone who is pretty new to the game would get a reward value of maybe 150HP, while I would get rewarded with a value of 500HP

Besides that there is, like arktos said, the money thing.
    As F2P player you'll want to keep those 3* covers, which you'll get faster then getting rosterslots, hopefully for them, resulting in $$$
  • The people I know who play MPQ have all spent ten to twenty bucks on roster slots. Its a very appealing purchase - slots are nice and you feel like you get a lot of value out of them, as opposed to buying a three star cover, which is fairly expensive for what you get.
  • They already do that. It's called HP as you mentioned.

What you are suggesting is they increase the HP payout by 100% - 700% depending where you are in the game.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Simple, add them into the daily rewards. Even if it like 1 every 60 or 70 days, it would be a big help to everyone, especially F2P people, without affecting the devs $1 per person per day <unimaginative expletive deleted> much.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2014
    Options
    What I want to know is; if roster slots are the main income, then why am I only allowed to have 100 slots max? Also, I have duplicates of every character, (well, almost), even double BagMan and Yelena. I not only have them, but I use them too. icon_e_surprised.gif

What happens when there are more than 50 characters, icon_e_confused.gif Which will not be too far off at the release rate. Or worse, what happens when they have 101 characters in the game. I won't even be able to have 1 of each, let alone a back up.

If D3 wants to sell roster slots, then sell them. Let me have as many of them as I want.

Or, better yet, go with idea of the OP. Toss out a free slot every now and again. You can give an Xforce or C Mag as daily rewards, and one 3* cover costs 1250 Hp, and 2500 for 4*. So why not a slot or two? I doubt that giving out 1 or even 2 free slots will bankrupt the company.

JJ

P.S. just to be clear, I love the game and this reply is not meant as a complaint. just an opinion or suggestion. unless you count the max slot limit, that was a bit of a complaint. just a tiny bit tho.

TL; DR,... I like this idea, free slots as daily prize, or even event/season rewrds.
  • Joker117
    Joker117 Posts: 124
    Options
    It could be implemented in a way where it doesn't hurt their sales too much but if they do it they will wait ..we are only going into what season 5?
    They want to make some more money first ..when sales die down then they will bc soon ppl will have to buy slots/gold or delete 2 star useful characters that will probably be in pves soon.
  • A free slot every 50 days or so would definitely be cool.

The roster slots will most likely be increased when the demand is there for it. Right now there is no need for so many slots. You may be the only person who has and wants 2 Yelenas.
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What I want to know is; if roster slots are the main income, then why am I only allowed to have 100 slots max? Also, I have duplicates of every character, (well, almost), even double BagMan and Yelena. I not only have them, but I use them too. icon_e_surprised.gif

What happens when there are more than 50 characters, icon_e_confused.gif Which will not be too far off at the release rate. Or worse, what happens when they have 101 characters in the game. I won't even be able to have 1 of each, let alone a back up.

If D3 wants to sell roster slots, then sell them. Let me have as many of them as I want.

Or, better yet, go with idea of the OP. Toss out a free slot every now and again. You can give an Xforce or C Mag as daily rewards, why not a slot or two? I doubt that giving out 1 or even 2 free slots will bankrupt the company.

JJ

P.S. just to be clear, I love the game and this reply is not meant as a complaint. just an opinion or suggestion. unless you count the max slot limit, that was a bit of a complaint. just a tiny bit tho.

TL; DR,... I like this idea, free slots as daily prize, or even event/season rewrds.

I would say that the 100 slot limit is just where they are at. It should be just a routine code change to increase that. I bet most players aren't even close having that many; I know I'm not. Props to you though. I grind my teeth every time I have to drop 550 for a slot. I don't even want to know what the 100th slot cost.
  • Hmmm. A hornets nest I stirred. For me the game is fantastic however they change characters without asking us. For instance the recent change to 1* Storm was a travesty. She was great to play in early parts of a PVE as she could sink a few thingies with a good and lucky cascade. But now we get hardly nothing for using her. She would remove a load of those tiles you could use bonuses with now she only shifts six max! So a few and occasional slots would be a nice addition to the game. To make up for changing the rules on characters.
  • Cover slots just aren't that useful after about your 20th one and you can focus on one area with only 10 characters (see the XMen guy with only Sentry/Daken) easily. Everyone hoards these spots meaninglessly but that's not D3's fault that people can't figure this out. It took me a long time to decide to finally give Yelena and Bullseye the boot, and it's not D3's fault that I kept on buying new roster slots so that I can keep those two around instead of just getting rid of them.
  • Joker117
    Joker117 Posts: 124
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Cover slots just aren't that useful after about your 20th one and you can focus on one area with only 10 characters (see the XMen guy with only Sentry/Daken) easily. Everyone hoards these spots meaninglessly but that's not D3's fault that people can't figure this out. It took me a long time to decide to finally give Yelena and Bullseye the boot, and it's not D3's fault that I kept on buying new roster slots so that I can keep those two around instead of just getting rid of them.

You need to grow 3* characters while you still have 2* characters and pve/pvp bonused characters and OBW is a must own almost just for pve matches with snipers .
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Everyone hoards these spots meaninglessly but that's not D3's fault that people can't figure this out. It took me a long time to decide to finally give Yelena and Bullseye the boot, and it's not D3's fault that I kept on buying new roster slots so that I can keep those two around instead of just getting rid of them.

The argument against it is when they buff up some 1* or 2* for PvE (especially Heroic PvEs with 8 characters total). I think they've shamelessly alternated between upgraded 2* CapAm and Modern Hawkeye in every PvE event, likely to persuade me to impule-spend ISO on them.

Even if I don't like or use the 1* and 2*s much in PvE, they serve as stand-ins while my 3*s heal.

Now, for carrying duplicates on my roster, I don't see much need for those, compared to the ISO I can get from extra covers and the HP I'm not spending on slots.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they should be in daily rewards at set early intervals (like one at day three or five, and another at day 14) while new users are getting started, and then maybe have a slim chance in randomized daily rewards after (less than 1%). Too many newbies burn their HP on something other than slots at first, and giving those players a couple would help them see their usefulness. If the player pulling it can't use a cover slot, swap it out for 500 ISO or some HP instead. Or give people a token they can either use to buy a cover slot or sell for a fixed amount of ISO.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thought for consideration: if D3 were to add roster slot rewards in some fashion, they would most likely offset that change by reducing the availability of HP rewards by a comparable amount.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    suggesting anything that would take revenue away from d3 isn't wise. Even if they implemented it, they would find a way to make some stealth change that would counter balance the revenue lost.

reward progression was restructured, according to ice IX, because there was too much HP going out. That should say all that needs to be said about priorities.

You can make 125 HP per PvP right now with one 3 hour shield if you get to 800, and then just make sure you make top 50 individual and top 250 alliance. With three of those per week and a decent PVE placement, 600 HP/week is very doable. New characters are released less frequently than that, and nothing other than cover shots and shields are worth buying anymore.

You can easily get all the slots you need by being a lazy f2p player in a decent alliance.
  • Though I understand some guys would like the game to be 100 % free to play, as long as D3P (for the best or for the worst) invest constantly in the game, there must be a way to contribute to this investment.

If it can saves us some weird changes so they can make more money, slots should never be given out.

$4 spent here and there on the game does not harm one's budget.