Removing choice is not a good thing.

Options
daveomite
daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
You wanted to spend all that time making this new "latest and greatest" team up, thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Good for you.

Instead of focusing on things truly broken in the game, like the issue with "not a match" happening in every single match I play at this point.

Fine. Your choice.

I chose to skip the update. Regardless of the countless prompts in my face, even while in the middle of matches to upgrade, I chose to skip.

But now, today, when I tried to log in to see our totals in FFW, I get this:

2noc3m.png

Removing my choice, bad on you.

I understand I may need to update eventually for continuation, but now you prevent me from even accessing the game? Screw that, and screw you.

Comments

• orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I understand your frustration but at some point they have to force everyone onto the same playing field.

When the majority are facing TUs, it doesn't make sense for them to allow a select few to avoid it long term.

Welcome to the Black Parade.

Edit: I quibble over "majority are" vs "majority is".
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Even in genres like FPS, you can't play each other on different versions of the game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Could be worse, I opened the game this morning to find my phone update-**** me last night while I slept. At least yours politely asked before molesting you.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Is Skype competitive? It forced me to update to a new version. Evil.
    But yeah, new MPQ features are designed to reach out to literally everyone. Bad/good sense. Depending.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I understand everyone's points about it. I agree, if the system is getting updated, then in order to compete, then I may have to upgrade. But, they could have done that by graying out events rather than completely blocking my access.

This is purely about the principle for me. If I chose to not download a DLC or upgrade so I can continue to enjoy a game my way, that's my choice. But when they forcibly dictate what I can and cannot do, that's too much and too far.

I was intending on updating after FFW as it was another update smack in the middle of an event. I didn't want an update to change things to a point to where they were broken, etc. People were still collecting their TU's off of me anyway.

But to prevent me from even loading the game when I haven't updated, like I said, too much. Too much control. It's my phone, my device, my install. If I choose to update, fine. If I chose to delay, fine.

I still have a choice, just not one I like. I can either update, or uninstall.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Might as well also mention that the forced update was initiated with 15 minutes remaining on the PvE sub. Timing could've been worse, but not much.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sorry, this is how MMO games have to operate. If one patch introduces a broken bug that allows a specific character to instakill all his opponents, you cannot choose to keep that version even after they implement a fix. And asking them to make UI changes so some people can login without patching but having events blocked is a waste of dev time. They are not trying to punish you personally, but they cannot let some people operate under one version while the current version is so very different for everyone else.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Sorry, this is how MMO games have to operate. If one patch introduces a broken bug that allows a specific character to instakill all his opponents, you cannot choose to keep that version even after they implement a fix. And asking them to make UI changes so some people can login without patching but having events blocked is a waste of dev time. They are not trying to punish you personally, but they cannot let some people operate under one version while the current version is so very different for everyone else.

They have to operate with everyone on the same platform for competition to matter.....which D3 has borked by allowing 24+ hours to do the upgrade. They release it mid event....then FORCE the update with ~15 min left in a sub event. I dropped from 1st to 5th as a result of having to update. As so many people have said, schedule an update then force it on everyone. It doesnt remove the choice....you can choose not to install (and not play) or you can choose to install. See? Still a choice.....
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yeah, they should force it through for everyone at the same time, that is true. I think they don't just so they can let people finish the game they are in then do it. They are kinda up in your face about letting you know to do so though. If you keep playing despite that you are giving them the choice when to update, because it has to have a drop dead date at some point.
    I have no counterpoint to their ability to always find the end of events to do things like this.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I always thought they allowed the weird delayed updates to avoid killing their servers with a legion of players updating all at once. Meh, guess not.
  • Unknown
    Options
    What's messed up is that the updates don't instantly force everyone to update when one is available since there are some rather profound changes which means you'll have a rather uneven playing field between those who update and those who do not.

In theory they can support different versions of the game but I see no reason why they'd want to do this in the first place because the only reason you'd want to run a different version of the game is generally because that version is advantageous to you. I can see argument if there's a performance issue, like if an earlier version of a game is blazing fast compared to a new version, but even then I don't know of any game makers that support this kind of stuff in a competitive environment because that's just asking for problems.