Remove alliances from seasons

Options
I think I may have mentioned this back in season 1 or something but I've been thinking about the game a little bit with season 4 starting and all that. I don't think making iw the reward was the right direction to go. This is why.

I think seasons could be a great idea that could be a lot of fun. Right now, they are putting a ton of pressure on players to keep up so they don't hurt their alliance. What needs to happen is each individual event has alliance prizes the same as they do now. If you're in a good alliance you get an extra cover a lil more iso and hp. All good. The 4* should be rewarded like it was in seasons 1-3. An elite prize for top performers in the season. But there is the difference. It shouldn't be a top alliance prize. It should be a top individual prize. This way it does not put pressure on the entire alliance every single event. It let's people going for 4* compete at high levels and the more casual alliance members more of a chance to take breathers when you got **** to do irl. Your entire alliance could decide to take an event off and recoup while the hard core who wanna go for top spots can still continue to do so without being effected by everyone else and vice versa. I think it is the best possible change to bring back a more positive environment for the game community.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    And it is way more enticing as an individual reward than those worthless 10-packs.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with this 100%.

People are performing under great amounts of pressure to show their loyalty and gratitude to their friends and alliance teammates. It's overwhelming and killing the fun for myself and a lot of people I know who love MPQ.

The hardcore players are gonna do what they do regardless of being on a top team or not.

So rewarding the individuals at no negative cost to the team as a whole is a win/win situation.

This would also greatly improve consistent and sustainable season play.
  • Unknown
    Options
    But at what ranking should the 4* be avaible? Till 100th place? If so its a damn nice idea.
  • Unknown
    Options
    unbemator wrote:
    But at what ranking should the 4* be avaible? Till 100th place? If so its a damn nice idea.

I don't know at exactly what placement but d3 knows how many they are giving out now and they know what ranking to make it to keep it a similar amount. They would prolly make it a lil less actually since part of the reason of giving so many was to entice people to join alliances.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I posted something along these lines in another topic, but my take on it is slightly different. I don't think alliance season rewards are where the problem is. The problem is giving out extra covers for the alliance rewards, both in season and in individual events. That's really what puts all the undo pressure onto everyone, particularly with new character releases. If they limit alliance rewards to HP and Iso it goes back to being a nice little bonus and alliances can be more about community and fun rather than stress over performance. Having 4* covers for personal season rewards sounds like a great idea to compliment this. Why not? They give them out for top event placement. They could even give out a full set of three covers for a 4* character every month for the bracket winners/top placement.

What's really lacking in the game is some kind of achievement or trophy system so that the people who play this game for bragging rights have something to hang on their virtual walls that says "look how awesome I am". Likewise for alliances. The season points are just a transient leaderboard that resets every month, but how about tracking how many top placements (1st, top 5, 10, 50, 100, as far as they want to go) an alliance has had and display it someplace on the alliance roster. There could also be achievements for individual play. They could even give out little cookies for hitting milestones, 500 Iso here, 25 HP there, just as a way to say "good job, go for the next one!"

I've enjoyed reaping the benefits of the new rewards system, being able to get four covers every event I've needed to has helped me finish off a few of the stubborn 3*s who refused to give up those last covers. But I really like a lot of my alliance mates. Some of them are new and they're great, and helping them and giving them some advice along with the other experienced players is exactly what alliances should be for. And I don't want to get mad at them because they're putting me in danger of missing a cover I want. Take the alliance covers away, redistribute them as individual rewards, and just let the alliance rewards be a plus as opposed to a point of contention among friends. Give the score ****, and as a semi-retired Xbox achievement junkie I use this term with affection, some kind of achievement/trophy system for the top alliances to fight over for bragging rights and let everyone else just kick it and enjoy the game together.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    unbemator wrote:
    How about rewards given to a % tier of players.

For example, top 15% of all player results get coveted **** cover.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know at exactly what placement but d3 knows how many they are giving out now and they know what ranking to make it to keep it a similar amount. They would prolly make it a lil less actually since part of the reason of giving so many was to entice people to join alliances.

Well T100 Alliances * 20 people = a max of 2000 covers.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    I don't think alliance season rewards are where the problem is. The problem is giving out extra covers for the alliance rewards, both in season and in individual events.

This is the big problem even without a good season reward for alliances people will feel pressure (albeit less) to perform for alliance members that need the extra cover.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As someone in a top 100 alliance who regularly scores in the top 5, I'm not interested in bragging rights. I want the covers and ISO.

If you feel pressured begging in an alliance than get out. People do. This is a virtual game with virtual prizes. Any pressure you feel is self generated.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    As someone in a top 100 alliance who regularly scores in the top 5, I'm not interested in bragging rights. I want the covers and ISO.
    If you feel pressured begging in an alliance than get out. People do. This is a virtual game with virtual prizes. Any pressure you feel is self generated.

Pressure you place on yourself to finish well for good prizes is self generated. Pressure you place on others to perform at a certain level for team prizes is socially generated. There is a difference. The main cause of the later is cover rewards, because nobody sane is threatening to kick someone from an alliance over marginal differences in Iso and HP rewards. This is where people feel compelled to play not because they want to but because they have a responsibility to, because they don't want to let down their comrades in arms, or are afraid not to play because poor performance means getting booted out the door unceremoniously. Taking the covers out of alliance rewards and rolling them over into personal rewards will eliminate most of the social stress and limit the cutthroat competition to individual standings where any stress you feel is indeed self-inflicted.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Can there be some way of mini-sandboxing / offering an alternative to those people who have maxed covers but still taking the top spots (like the entire top 10 of this event already have the fully covered character) and let people who need covers gain them, rather them just being sold for ISO.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I do my best to score top five every event and I have most of the covers already. The lure is 5000 iso for top five and 2000 or less for everything else. Change anything else and I am still going for top five.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is the direction the game should be moving in. Ideas like this, simple but sound. It would make it Fair for the individual player or even a player in an underperforming alliance. Maybe not remove but lower it so the alliance is second to an individual reward. And when I say lower I don't mean the rewards just the importance.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've also been debating that if they did this, whether or not the individual season should be bracketed. Thought it might be kinda cool to have seasons as a non bracketed individual competition. That would definitely create some individual competition at the top with the big dogs trying to take top spot. There's some ups and downs to this portion of the idea though.