New Captain America is Falcon

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you ever, for even a second, honestly believed that Captain America or any other major superhero was ever going to purposely and permanently die, you are terribly naive.

(and tossing random wiki quotes at people who have actually read the story sure doesn't do you any favors either.)
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you ever, for even a second, honestly believed that Captain America or any other major superhero was ever going to purposely and permanently die, you are terribly naive.

(and tossing random wiki quotes at people who have actually read the story sure doesn't do you any favors either.)

I thought that Superman really died, but I was 9 when when it happened.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think we're missing the most important issue here.

Now that Falcon is Captain America, will his bird telepathy only work on bald eagles?
  • Unknown
    Options

*sigh*

Look, I'm sorry if you are offended that not everyone in the world likes the same things you do, or whatever the hell it is that's made you so aggressive about this. But the bottom line is that I think it is flat-out bad storytelling to kill a character for sales/shock value just to bring him back later for more sales/more shock value. I was against it with Batman too. This one just hit a little close to home at a time in my life when I was losing a lot of people all around me and was having a difficult time finding a reason to believe in my flag so yeah, I took it harder than I should have. But you know what, I'm okay with that. Most people don't get to see the **** I saw or do the **** I did and come out of it without some anger. Some channel that anger into a bottle, others a needle, and still others use their fists on their loved ones. Some keep it bottled inside and wind up on the streets muttering to themselves and wearing their old ratty uniforms or giving up altogether and biting a bullet. If my biggest problem in life is that I don't get to read "Spider-Man" for a few more years because of a misplaced hatred for Quesada, so be it. I think I got off easy.

As for whether or not he really died - his heart stopped beating. That's "dead" where I come from. I don't care what kind of time-manipulating spin you want to put on it.

Now, I'm done brooding, I'm done with this topic, and I'm sorry I ever brought it up.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You seem to have me confused with someone else, as I can't imagine that you honestly believe that my single, short comment is "being aggressive", while you're sitting here pumping out post after angry post about this, and none of what you just said has anything at all to do with what I said. So...this has been fun. Good luck dealing with all those issues of yours. Feel free to go ahead and non-aggressively downvote me some more if that really makes you feel better about the existence of people with differing opinions.
  • Unknown
    Options
    But the bottom line is that I think it is flat-out bad storytelling to kill a character for sales/shock value just to bring him back later for more sales/more shock value.

Its flat out bad storytelling if its something like Death of Superman. I know very few people who liked that story and most only read it out of curiosity. On the other hand it still introduced two well liked superheroes (Steel and Conner Kent) and a dangerous villain (Cyborg Superman). Even dumb gimmicks can have value.

Its the Rob Liefield effect. You can be a **** comic artist doing **** comics and still manage to do something right. Despite the near constant love I hear for Jim Lee, he has yet to create something with the legs that Cable and Deadpool have.

I have a joke when I try to sell the Winter Soldier to people (filthy Canadians no less). Imagine rezzing a long dead sidekick, one Marvel said that they wouldn't, having the associated hero die and then the sidekick takes over. Sounds terrible? It would be if the execution wasn't brilliant. That's why I can still sell the books to people. Its genuinely gripping. Even people who dislike Cap like the series. And nobody makes goofy jokes about Bucky anymore.

And whilst we're on the subject of side effects, did you ever wonder why LazyCap isn't wearing the usual digs? Those are the "I'm gonna let Bucky be Cap" clothes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ivanstone wrote:
    Its the Rob Liefield effect. You can be a **** comic artist doing **** comics and still manage to do something right. Despite the near constant love I hear for Jim Lee, he has yet to create something with the legs that Cable and Deadpool have.

but that's just because Rob doesn't know how to draw feet.

jONaH.jpg