Thoughts from a 2* player

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It has to do with the roster. My wife and I have different accounts, with pretty different roosters (I have 3 maxed 141s, her best is 11 covers for cmags). I was getting great results in PvP when I maxed my first one, as I was still facing level 85s plus a bit extra all the time, and with patch, that's not hard to handle. I was hitting top 5s pretty often. At the same time, my wife was not really getting 3* covers from PvP. In fact, she was often mad about how she'd far rather get the three recruit tokens than a guaranteed 2* that she already had, so she'd typically get 300 points and stop.

But one sunny day, an update came in, and I started getting walls of 141s. She level mags to 105, and IMMEDIATELY she started seeing max teams she has no business fighting. So nowadays she tends to lose people in every fight, because she's competing against people that are nowhere near her weight class. It's still pretty hard for me, since I tend to have a big disadvantage with the boosted character, but I do a little bit better.

So yeah, the current matchmaking strategy has to be looking at your team, or at the very least, not looking at your actual placement in PvP. If you spend a solid month without landing top 50 (now 100), there's a problem.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hibikir wrote:
    It has to do with the roster. My wife and I have different accounts, with pretty different roosters (I have 3 maxed 141s, her best is 11 covers for cmags). I was getting great results in PvP when I maxed my first one, as I was still facing level 85s plus a bit extra all the time, and with patch, that's not hard to handle. I was hitting top 5s pretty often. At the same time, my wife was not really getting 3* covers from PvP. In fact, she was often mad about how she'd far rather get the three recruit tokens than a guaranteed 2* that she already had, so she'd typically get 300 points and stop.

But one sunny day, an update came in, and I started getting walls of 141s. She level mags to 105, and IMMEDIATELY she started seeing max teams she has no business fighting. So nowadays she tends to lose people in every fight, because she's competing against people that are nowhere near her weight class. It's still pretty hard for me, since I tend to have a big disadvantage with the boosted character, but I do a little bit better.

So yeah, the current matchmaking strategy has to be looking at your team, or at the very least, not looking at your actual placement in PvP. If you spend a solid month without landing top 50 (now 100), there's a problem.

Do you remember what level cmags was before she levelled him up to 100? If its just a straight cut off at some arbitrary number to get into the next bucket, then thats pretty damn stupid for d3 to do.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do you remember what level cmags was before she levelled him up to 100? If its just a straight cut off at some arbitrary number to get into the next bucket, then thats pretty damn stupid for d3 to do.

I don't know that it's just a single character. I have no 3* higher than 53, but every time I soft cap one, I start to see a few more 3*s than before. It's still only really retaliations and 800+ pts where I see the 494s, but the climb up has an elective 3* probably 15% or so now, where it was previously zero in both cases.

And since you're here, thank you for that guide. It's a big reason I was able to build to where I am.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't know that it's just a single character. I have no 3* higher than 53, but every time I soft cap one, I start to see a few more 3*s than before. It's still only really retaliations and 800+ pts where I see the 494s, but the climb up has an elective 3* probably 15% or so now, where it was previously zero in both cases.

And since you're here, thank you for that guide. It's a big reason I was able to build to where I am.

Thanks! I might then start to recommend to people to just straiht up not put any iso into 3* characters until they can max two out if this is the case, maybe ill have time to update it this weekend.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You need to step back and take a breather and not take everything on here as an assault on you personally. It's just a match 3 game, after all.

I laughed out loud when I read this. So many times I type, "It's just a match 3 game" and then go back and delete it.

I think one thing that would ameliorate some of the angst would be to eliminate the limit on health packs. Alternatively, go back to awarding 3 packs of health instead of the single health.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DuckyV wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:
    First and foremost, the game requires actual thought now.

Pretty sure this is what has people pissed off the most.....

Seriously????? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you must not read these forums too much. The complaints I've seen are from people who spent money for a character that has been changed or in Spidey's case, crippled. It was total **** for them not to announce something so drastic. No in game pop up about this one, just a sneaky, underhanded stealth nerf. They apologized when Ragnarok was nerfed with no notice and said they would give us notice when other nerfs are coming. This time, NO NOTICE AT ALL. People feel lied to and misled (again) because D3 lied through their teeth (again). I've also seen complaints that this nerf/change was done in the middle of Season 3 and various events; one of which involved the release of a brand new (already nerfed!) character. This pissed people off when Thor and Wolverine were nerfed because there were about 4-5 events going on that day, including Lightning Rounds. Lastly, people are pissed because we were told this "true healing" change was made to promote roster diversity, which 3/4 of the people recognize as total ****.

We've known Spiderman was going to be nerfed for months. They just didn't tell us exactly when it was going to happen. And as far as it happening during an event, events are always going on, so it's pretty much impossible for it not to occur during an event. Regarding the true healing change, I find it interesting that as time goes on that more and more people are warming up to it and liking the changes.

People don't like change. That's a given. But after they get to experience the change, most find that it wasn't nearly as bad as their assumptions made it out to be.

Spidey was nerfed about a month ago. There was no notice about a second nerf. When Ragnarock was nerfed with no notice (not sure if this happened with Classic Storm too, I don't remember) people were really pissed and D3 promised to better their communication. There's no excuse for not communicating the recent change to the player base. It was a sneaky, underhanded thing to do.

Thorverine nerf happened during 4-5 events I believe, and not just a single event. We understand events will always be going on, but it would be common sense to try to minimize how the nerfs will effect the outcomes of whatever event(s) are current.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Another 2* character reporting in, I'm just glad to do PvP where slightly less than 95% OBW saturation exists, it was all incredibly samey. Also having a reason not to OBW+Thor/Ares myself and not feel like I'm punishing myself for it. Just got 16th in the grey suit event so certainly doesn't feel like the lack of external healing is hurting me much either.