is it worthy to go for first in pvp?

Options
franckynight
franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
First, just some random thoughts i got, waiting for my shield to break. Second, I'm assuming that you dont need the covers rewards in the event (if needed, the reasoning is ludicrous ) and i exclude alliance rewards. i suppose that at 1 300 pts you win your bracket (sometimes its enough, sometimes not)..
Let's do some math:
Isos won on progression (1 300 pts): 100+250+ 250 (value of 2*)+ 1000+1000+500 (value of 3*)+ 1000 (value of 4*)= 4 100 isos
Isos won for 1st: 5000 + 1000 (value of 4*)= 6000 isos
net gain 10 000 isos whom you can add some 7 500 isos if you count the sales of the 2* and bonuses you ve won along the way (i suppose you needed 50 fights to reach 1 300 pts at 25 pts each fight on average and that each fight gave you 200 isos)
total net gain 17 500 isos (without the 3 won token worth 500-1000 pts more)
to reach 1300 pts plateau you're going to burn shields: i suppose you put your first shield at 1000 pts and that you're beginning your climb around 12-16 hrs before end (it doesn't concern xmen obviously). Each hop is worth 100 pts on average (thanks to the bloated scores of the xmen.. i want to thank y'all for this). so that makes 3*3 hrs shield+1 8h shield. thats 375 hp (i know some of you will explain here that they burn just one shield to reach 1200 pts but whatever i talk under the law of averages).
You will gain 175 Hp between being first and rewards progression. So total cost 175 hp for 15 000- 18 000 isos gain.
Depending on where you alliance is, you can offset this cost (only way to have a gain here is to be top two).
Now let's put things in perspective.. Lightning round give you 10000-15000 isos PER ROUND alone for FREE.
Conclusion: except for covers you covet, shooting for first is a waste of ressources and time.Thats why I have personnally focus first on LR and take a more relax approach in pvp and season.. QED.. icon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    1185 pts in a pvp and 6383 season points are "take it easy" ? icon_e_smile.gif

Wow. What was it like before ?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Francky could easily score 1450+ if he wanted.
  • Unknown
    Options
    icon_eek.gif

Never paid attention.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I saw you in first on one of LRs. Think you had like 550 pts or so. Are you saying you got that many points without a shield and without a health pack? I know that you have something like main char + 141 Patch/Daken but I would still expect others in your bracket to be able to take you down for losses. I know where assuming gets me but I had assumed that you were buying packs and shielding both.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yea, that's always been the reality in this game. Those that are able to play a lot of LR's week in and week out are way ahead of those that can only play a few.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    user311 wrote:
    I saw you in first on one of LRs. Think you had like 550 pts or so. Are you saying you got that many points without a shield and without a health pack? I know that you have something like main char + 141 Patch/Daken but I would still expect others in your bracket to be able to take you down for losses. I know where assuming gets me but I had assumed that you were buying packs and shielding both.
    I never ever put a shield in LR.. Its a nonsense.. And even fewer health pack..if im hit i hit back.. Retals war time.. LR are more about farming isos than ranking.. I d rather have heroic token (top50) than having top 8 i must confess
  • Unknown
    Options
    Agree 100%. Most of us can buy a big score like the xmen are doing but there's 0 reward in it for the majority of us. For that matter most people with nice rosters could get top 5 or 10 with 1 or 0 shields. Mostly I'll push around. 1200 for alliance sake or more if need be but it's kinda boring. Pay hard method doesn't take any talent and is just someone saying, look I can outspend you! Unless you need covers, most pvps are actually quite dull. If you just want to get all the characters cover complete, sure go for first, but it's defenitely not worth it right now as both 4* characters are way below most 3*

In addition the season rewards are a complete joke and basically other than the top 100 alliance reward, there is nothing of any value except maybe the 4k ISO per 10 pack. This game is slowly drying up so I hope something new and different is introduced soon
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I haven't come first in ages (literally never since Season 1 I think) and built 8 141s instead and have saved enough HP to buy a few 3* covers (which I don't want to do right now anyway), and I'm F2P, so yeah. I have pulled more IWs in my almost 6 month playtime than I pulled Patch, for example, or IM 40 (both not exactly new characters). Can't wait for the time when X-Force and IW turn into nice 1000 ISO vouchers for me (want to complete them for completeness' sake, never ever use them and don't want to give them a sliver of ISO).
    What does coming first give you? Indeed let's forget about ISO and especially HP, no real benefit. It does stroke your ego I assume and it does give you more Season points (=more alliance Season points).
    But in my opinion, stroking ego is better done by doing something more constructive than coming 1st (even though playing a match-3 game is not constructive at all in itself); Season rewards are worthless as long as you reach your goal (which for most players is the Fury cover; tokens are so unrewarding it's hard to be excited about them these days). So if you can afford it to shield to come first in most tourneys, you are probably going to be one of your alliance MVP's, and that's good. But if your alliance consists of MVPs... No one's the MVP. If it consists of weaker players? You will feel bad because your effort will not be rewarded alliance-wise. I think it depends on your HP stocks, your ego (let's be honest) and alliance goals most. If you have some HP to burn, ego needs stroking and alliance goals are not met - go for it! Otherwise take it easy and don't burn yourself out sooner than you would like.
    Edit: ignore cases when one needs the cover at 1100 and then preserves #1 naturally.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Yea, that's always been the reality in this game. Those that are able to play a lot of LR's week in and week out are way ahead of those that can only play a few.
    I think that's fair though. If you're able to schedule your life around this game for two entire days of every week then you should be ahead