video games are too violent

Options
_RiO_
_RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2014 in Off Topic
Totally in the wrong forum section, but whatever; I'll bite:

No. Games in general are not too violent. There is a wide selection of games available and some are more violent or are depicted as more violent than others.

Really the amount of violence is not really the problem at all, it's how visceral its presentation is. -- Here's a brain teaser for you: what is more violent; a fighting game monitored by a fair referee or Mario jumping on Goombas and splattering their brains all over the ground? -- It's how deeply ingrained violence is with the core narrative and how it drives plot and character motivation that can be a problem. While it is true that children are highly impressionable and exposure to lots of violent imagery can leave them jaded to it over time, it's not until said violence becomes a driving factor in plot and character that children will adopt and accept it as a norm for social interaction.

As for preventing children from being exposed to violence or adopting these behavioral patterns; it all boils down to educating the parents to raise their children. Many parents, especially those with double income / both holding jobs, don't stop to think when they purchase a new game for their kid. As long as it shuts the kid up and has the kid stuck in front of the TV and out of their hair, they're fine with it. Parents should take into account those ratings and should make informed decisions and perhaps withhold purchase of a game.

If parents cannot avoid exposing their children to a particular viscerally violent game, e.g., because a friend's parents were less caring and their child can go over to that friend's house and play it there, then parents should at the very least have a sitdown with their child and try to explain why they feel the child is not yet ready to be exposed to the game's content. They shouldn't outright forbid the child from playing (because they'll do it anyway and their friends will happily goad them on telling them "parents don't understand anything"), but rather they should switch to mitigating the impact as well as possible and make sure that the child understands that all of this is 'make pretend' and not how people should interact with each other in daily life. Children can be surprisingly reasonable. (Moreso than adults in some situations...) For the very same reasons, it's always a good idea to have a quick sitdown with a child after a play date and check up on what they've been doing.

Comments

• Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Real life is violent.

Do some research on news topics for places not in North America or Western Europe. Google News search places like Nigeria, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Afghanistan, and tell me if life is violent for a significant portion of humans.

You are trying to ask if video games as entertainment in developed societies match humanities overall tendency towards violence? Yes. In societies where violence is not a neccessity of life, it is a luxury and a hobby.

I just wrote your paper for you, kid. You're welcome.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The way I see it, it's not a matter of being violent or not, it's about making death, murder, ****, (insert more) a banal subject. Like you see an 8 years-old saying "I just blow up that guy with a grenade!", you can't help wondering if that kid has the maturity to understand that situation. Some people may think it's obvious that he does, still, USA is full of cases about kids that decide to settle their problems with a gun. Look this wiki page with a list of cases, it's pretty clear how it's getting higher.

I feel the whole issue is lack of parenting, you see more and more parents that think its immoral to tell his kid that beef is an animal that you killed or that find wrong that Bambi's mother was killed in the movie, but has no problem to let him play war games, shooters and all that. IMHO death is life, life is violent, and kids should be exposed to that, they should understand, and not kept in the dark or, even worse, think it's all a game.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's cool that you guys decided to engage this topic, but unfortunately this is a spam account. As you can now see, the OP has been updated to include unrelated links.

If you see a new member open a thread in the wrong section, it most likely is a sleeper spam account. Go ahead and report it. I doubt new members would use their first post to start a general discussion about video games not related to MPQ, and do so in the wrong subforum.