New Player Team Composition

Options
Bisounour
Bisounour Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm a relatively new player to the game (43 days) and I finally made it into the 2 star rosters by leveling up my Thor Modern and Original Black Widow to 85 just a couple of days ago! So far I've completely relied on these 2 heroes to allow me to grind out pve and pvp matches to get covers and ISO. However, this new change to healing has put quite the damper on that. I was wondering what would be the next best move to keep my progression through the game going. I also have a 69 Daken and was thinking maybe leveling up Astonishing Xmen Wolverine might be my best move for a 2 hero composition for pvp and lightning rounds. I'm pretty limited to 2 star heroes at the moment because most of my 3 stars only have 1-3 covers : /. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for your question (no rage in it) and explaining of your new situation after the True Healing change.

I hope someone will help you.

I also hope this thread gets read so that everyone can see the situation of a newcomer.

Last but not least, I hope the devs have been thinking of a situation like yours before they took their decision, and they have the answer, even if I doubt it would be disclosed on the forum.
  • Unknown
    Options
    As it stands right now you're gonna wanna level up daken and wolvie, that way you can sort of have a rotation now that this new healing **** makes you run through health packs faster
  • Droc76
    Droc76 Posts: 56
    Options
    Just quit now before you get sucked in and give D3 all your monies for health packs, roster spots, and soon I'm sure a toll for even logging into this f2p game. Enjoy!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Daken is a good choice for his "True Healing" (God I hate that I have to say that) ability.
    OBW is still great for her Steal and Espionage. I will probably be repec-ing her to 5/3/5 now.
    Ares/Wolverine/Thor are all good. Ares has a ton of health and good hit power when he is maxed. Wolverine has "True Healing" (Still hate the term... lol), and Thor is a good tank and if you can gather enough AP hits HARD as well.

2* Storm when blue is fully maxed is great too. You pull up the healthiest opponent, trigger blue, they get stunned (if not downed) and the rest usually get downed as well.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daken is a good choice for his "True Healing" (God I hate that I have to say that) ability.
    OBW is still great for her Steal and Espionage. I will probably be repec-ing her to 5/3/5 now.
    Ares/Wolverine/Thor are all good. Ares has a ton of health and good hit power when he is maxed. Wolverine has "True Healing" (Still hate the term... lol), and Thor is a good tank and if you can gather enough AP hits HARD as well.

2* Storm when blue is fully maxed is great too. You pull up the healthiest opponent, trigger blue, they get stunned (if not downed) and the rest usually get downed as well.

The reality is you want to max out as many level 85 2* as possible so you can play for longer with the new true healing. Captain America and Moonstone are not very good, but if you can use them to win a match or two before you put in your A team it is a plus. Be prepared to be in 2* land for a while.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have to agree with leveling daken and wolvie. Also, you have to use a lot of time management. I was in your position not too long ago. For pve and pvp alike, a lot is about timing.

for example, for pvp events, (when brackets were time based) I would start later to get into a less aggressive bracket. Once it changed, I still started later on. At least the final 24 hours. I would grind in spurts of 2-3 hours and break... not shield. I would do my final grind and shield for the last 3 hours. (minimal hp used each even would make it easier to save up for slots and more shields). I started seeing myself get top 75, then top 50. It is a matter of getting into a "groove" at what works best for you.

After a few events of top 50, you start getting enough covers and tokens you can start leveling more characters. It took a few months, but I am usually a steady top 10 now. depending on the bracket and demand of the cover. I am still trying to transition from 2* to 3*, so it is still pretty difficult, but I just crossed the 1k mark in pvp. So, just experiment with this and see what you think about it, then tweak it to whatever works best for you. Along with that, do as many lightning rounds as you can. Save up the iso and the covers. It will definitely help you level characters faster.

As far as PVE goes... well that is almost the same. Timing is everything. If you look at different posts, you will see people that start right away, and others that wait a day or so to start. It all depends on progression and scaling at that point. I used to start immediately and scale myself out of 9-10 day events in the first half of it. Now it is easier to manage. Look at threads on community scaling and rubberbanding. (sorry i don't have links for you. hopefully someone else does) But it should give you some insight on it and point you in the right direction.

Good luck, I really hope you progress at a decent pace.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bisounour wrote:
    I'm a relatively new player to the game (43 days) and I finally made it into the 2 star rosters by leveling up my Thor Modern and Original Black Widow to 85 just a couple of days ago! So far I've completely relied on these 2 heroes to allow me to grind out pve and pvp matches to get covers and ISO. However, this new change to healing has put quite the damper on that. I was wondering what would be the next best move to keep my progression through the game going. I also have a 69 Daken and was thinking maybe leveling up Astonishing Xmen Wolverine might be my best move for a 2 hero composition for pvp and lightning rounds. I'm pretty limited to 2 star heroes at the moment because most of my 3 stars only have 1-3 covers : /. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You are on a good role right now, with Thor and Daken capped.

Next you will want to work on either getting Astonishing Wolverine or Ares leveled up - even both. 2* Storm is another good candidate for you, since you are starting up and you are not yet in MMR hell. The rest will come. Having a good rotation of viable characters is good.

** Now, I know I am about to be flamed to death for what I am going to say next **

in your transition phase and for PvE - a level 50 or so BagMan (yes, someone finally said it) can do lots for you. Since you will be essentially losing the reason for your OBW (healing) and in PvE will be encoutering lots of "goon only" nodes... Bagman can do well for you. His covers rain all the time, so you can play with whatever build suits you best. I like 4 - 4 - 5. @ level 55 he has 2300+ HP, so he is not that squishy and can help you neutralize goon tiles - which in turn increases your survivability and play time, you know, avoiding that flamethrower or rocket to the face...

Not a priority, but rather a good to have kicking around for PvE only - in certain situations.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    To echo other comments here, making Daken & AWolv part of your maxed 2* rotation a good idea. Since OBW healing got nerfed, you'll want some more solid 2*s to swap in. When I was in 2* land, my eagerness to skip enemy Dakens was surpassed only by my eagerness to skip OBW.

Also, when you get enough of her covers, I recommend leveling/maxing a CStorm. She's a PVE monster, and on offense, she's quite good in PVP.

P.S. - For future reference, Tips & Guides ( viewforum.php?f=6 ) is where you'll want to ask for advice about things like roster comps. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Tonzil wrote:
    Bagman <snip> I like 4 - 4 - 5. @ level 55 he has 2300+ HP

If you arent going to max him, give different builds a try. I know 4/1/5 is a decent build (terrified that I knew that).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wolvie would be great because heals faster.

I would suggest one of two strategies.

1) If not worried about retal's, use some one stars, they heal faster too.

2) Use the Mr. Smith Matrix model, make lots and lots of duplicates of Thor and OBW. Oh no, my Thor and OBW are almost dead and I cannot heal them. Oh well, Thor# and OBW#12, you're up.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Bisounour wrote:

I actually used 2* wolvie and daken a lot during my transition to 3*. If you look at my roster, wolvie is my only maxed 2* and daken is also maxed. It helps reduce health pack usage and you can still effectively heal them in the prologue by fighting the low level goons. It does require careful gameplay, but it is doable.

As has been said previously, maxing out as many 2* will help as well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DuckyV wrote:
    As has been said previously, maxing out as many 2* will help as well.

The problem for us stuck in 2* land, those of us with a low /played, is that we're now going to have a harder time gaining ISO to max characters with. My /played is 56 right now. I have four 85 2*s and one is 800 ISO away from 85.

If I need to now increase my roster of maxed 2*s, and target Daken and Wolverine as good choices for their healing, I need 97,450 ISO. If I wanna toss Cap and Moonstone in there, too, we'll need another 104,160. So to max out as many 2*s as I can, I need another 201,610 ISO, or roughly just under what it's taken me to develop my entire roster to date, but without the sustained ability to play that I got from combat healing.

Getting more 2*s has become much more difficult for us, right as we've lost any ability to compete for 3*s.
  • Bisounour
    Bisounour Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I'll definitely start working on max'ing Wolverine and Ares (still needs 1 cover : /). My experiences with CStorm are pretty mixed. Her blue is probably the best blue ability i have access to now that OBW's was nerfed. However, her green feels pretty underwhelming most of the time and one unlucky cascade leaves her at half health. I don't think i have any good options for tanking her blues. The only 2 stars I can think of would be OBW and MNMagneto.

Time to go farm some ISO!