Stop yelling at IceIX specifically for Dev team decisions

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    He is the only one from the team bothering to post here. And that is probably out of necessity. Of course he is going to get yelled at. I don't understand people defending an online person that they probably have never met in real life. You could replace "Seriously Ice9?" with "Seriously devs?" but it might have been less impactful. Like pasa said in another thread, this is as effective as any other way people tried to get their feedback to devs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's no-one's job to get abused. Having started my professional career in a CS call center, I know it's an occupational hazard and it happens, but that's not an excuse for excising basic human courtesy. Just because someone once was a **** to someone else (or to you) somewhere doesn't somehow make it okay for you to do it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    If you don't agree with the company's policies, you resign. If you don't, you're an accomplice.

This 'black or white' thinking is immature/lazy.

All of us have worked at places where we don't agree with the direction the company takes. We still cash checks. All of us have been in relationships where we don't like what the other person is doing (to themselves or others). You make these compromises all the time in life.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    If you don't agree with the company's policies, you resign. If you don't, you're an accomplice.

All of us have worked at places where we don't agree with the direction the company takes. We still cash checks. All of us have been in relationships where we don't like what the other person is doing (to themselves or others). You make these compromises all the time in life.

The most common rationalization to deal with the cognitive dissonance. Some do the compromise and others leave. Those who stay are accomplice. I don't care their reasoning, they still are and just as responsible. If something is immature that is the hiding from responsibility instead of accepting it -- last time I checked that was the most important change growing up.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cognitive dissonance is ignoring how the real world works.

Cognitive dissonance is to continually invest hours and hours, weeks after weeks into a game/forum and **** and whine 100% of the time.

So, I'm not sure you're the one who should be preaching to me what cognitive dissonance is.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

It's not. It just relies on one's convictions.

We do not know what IceIx thinks about the whole thing, so this is all hypothesis.

Not everything is a question of money.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Cognitive dissonance is ignoring how the real world works.

Cognitive dissonance is to continually invest hours and hours, weeks after weeks into a game/forum and **** and whine 100% of the time.

So, I'm not sure you're the one who should be preaching to me what cognitive dissonance is.

Lost you there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
  • Unknown
    Options
    Semantics battles. icon_e_confused.gif

Have fun typing in circles.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The amount of **** on this forum is astounding

http://snesbox.com http://virtualnes.com

Not having fun anymore? There's plenty else to do. I'd recommend Secret of Mana.

If you need more ****:

Gunstar Heroes
    Streets of Rage 2 or 3 (don't play 3 if you suck at beat em ups)
    RBI Baseball
    Clock Tower (SNES)
    Super Mario World
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    edited June 2014
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Hail : the fact that you turned yourself into IceIx and D3P's lawyer is a really friendly move towards your Alliance partner IceIX. It's just sad you never supported IceIx financially.

Because in the end, it's not the way you try to protect the mistakes of the devs team on this forum that will bring some future to the game, it's the money people like myself invest in the game. Apparently you resent the fact I am a whale. That's your problem.
    While it's cute that you reduce yourself to whipping out "you're just workin' for The Man!" whenever you've found yourself at a loss for actual rebuttals, the fact that you're a whale has no bearing on whether or not I agree with any of your points. Your armchair psychoanalysis needs work. For example, I've agreed with several points that've been made by Colognoisseur and Bugpop at various times, and there's more than one sizable spender in my alliance. But yeah, I'm sure that's only because they may have spent less money than you, so they don't really count as whales. That's clearly what must be happening.

Oh, and keep pretending that I've never criticized the devs. I suppose it makes you sleep better at night, and I'm all for beauty rest.
    arktos1971 wrote:
    You said yourself that you would invest in the game if it was worth it. In 150 days you haven't found any reason to do so. So what's the game worth if you have spent 0 ?
    I don't know what the game is worth in general. It's worth different things to different people. I play a lot, have fairly good luck, don't view progression in a very hardcore way, and lucked into co-founding Django, so I haven't found a need to spend money yet. What it's "worth" is not very relevant to me. If someone sold me a two-carat VVS1 diamond for $5 (or simply gave one to me), I wouldn't respond with "Hey, this is actually worth a lot more. I'll give you $1000 instead."
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Ok. I have no comment about this since I don't know the reasons.

I'm not sure in which Alliance he could now be comfortable in after the latest announcements...

HM's "protectionism" makes no sense then, unless it's just personal.
    Yes, I'm sure walkyourpath's "protectionism" of Ice is due to... personal reasons, because otherwise, it absolutely "makes no sense." The same goes for Kelbris. The plot thickens! icon_e_wink.gif
    arktos1971 wrote:
    it all depends on the company's decisions to supply with Customer Relationship and Customer Service. We know that either are not a priority for D3P.
    Indeed, their CS department needs work -- the inconsistent turnaround times leave a lot to be desired. Also, their servers. Aw ****, I accidentally agreed with one of your criticisms of D3. Let's pretend that never happened, lest we spoil your carefully crafted narrative.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This guy is just taking palatable opinions ("oh this change is bad, I don't like it, I would prefer it not go through") and kicks it up to a ridiculous level ("oh this change is bad, I don't like it, you should all be fired") for attention. No one is going to change is mind because his goal is not discussion, just attention.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you guys need to vent your anger.
    Take it out on this guy -

cute-sad-kitten06.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Twysta wrote:

cute-sad-kitten06.jpg

F*** you, kitten.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tinykitty that tinykitty.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's' it. You tell him guys.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    cute-sad-kitten06.jpg
    whenever-i-feel-sad-or-depressed-i-just-remind-myself-that-im-not-you-and-i-get-happy-again.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Okay, here's the thing. I don't know IceIX in person, but I spent a few late night chat sessions with him in the Django Alliance chat. He didn't get kicked for being a jerk or because we were mad at D3. I was actually really bummed when he did get kicked. This is the reason:

IceIX is a pretty cool guy. He loves all the same stuff that most of us love about geek culture, he reads the same comics, he played the same games, he knows all the same movie quotes. He loves playing MPQ, and had clocked several hundred hours of it, as had I and most everyone else here. So when he tells you that they've nerfed Spiderman or put in "True Healing" or whatever else you are mad at him about, it's not because he's a jerk and it's not because he wants to wreck the game.

So hating on IceIX is really misplaced. You can call me an apologist or suggest that maybe everyone in DjangoUnbuffed is really on the D3 payroll, but I'm not going to bash Ice for everything wrong with MPQ.

For the record, there is a lot wrong with MPQ, but there is also a lot right with it. Sometimes I feel like it's infuriating that they got this close to perfection but now it feels like they've overshot the mark by too far and it's too late to turn back. Still not IceIX's fault.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's his choice to announce the bad news (he could refuse to do that, there are other D3P admins reading the forum and are seldomly participating), and spend nearly a full day on a Q&A thread in the "friendly" styles, gathering ideas for improvements.

Yes MPQ is (was/could be ?) a great game and we all agree on that statement. It's just that they need money, we all agree on that, but they are going too far and worsen our playing experience when we all made suggestions and we all think they could make more money than they are doing now.

Of course IceIX must be a cool guy, otherwise he would not have been in your Alliance. He underperformed compared to the rest of the Alliance. But you made fun of that, so that must not be the reason.

If he just wanted to avoid all the bashing, he could have chosen another communication strategy. Maybe he did not want to avoid it. Maybe he will tell us one day.
  • MisanOne
    MisanOne Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    IceIX takes the heat cuz no one else on the pub/dev staff has the balls to actually interact with the customers.. who are at this point pretty pissed off.
    Disappointingly enough I know how the business is and feel safe in saying none of them will truly give a **** until they see profits dropping.
    Nothing less than that will have any effect.

When the money disappears they'll appear and begin to "explain" and "discuss" the situation.