The Hunt

Comments

• Yeah, I should have banked more on the rubberbanding being agressive.

I spent most of the time in the top 10 after a first place in the original Alaska round.

I picked it up at about 120th with an hour to play. I managed to get all the Savage events down to the point where they wouldn't give me any points...and I just finished top 50.

That's really frustrating. Ice and crew have been great about giving a bit of visibility into decision making. It'd be really interesting to know if this event went as intended. I certainly feel burned by this one. I did have fun, but I burned a lot of Iso on boosts that would have been more intelligently used elsewhere if this is how events are going to go.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Those of us that were here for the Heroic Juggernaut event and other events we know the system and due to that we had an unfair advantage.

I see many posts of people complaining that missions were giving 0 points and if you're a new person I can understand why that would make you upset, specially if you don't know that they refill every 1.5-2 hours. New players also did not know that they should be saving The Savage Lands missions till the end.

It's unfortunate that new players don't exactly know how the system works, they have to learn the hard way, this rubberbanding works well if you know what to do, but if you're someone who just hopped on board a week ago and started spending $$ and were excited that you were about to get a Punisher cover only to have your dreams crushed at the last 15 minutes, then I can see how this game would leave a sour taste in your mouth.

We're only seeing the vocal minority posting here, am sure there are hundreds of players who don't post here wondering what the heck just happened to their top 10 ranking.

All I can say to them is, lesson learned, the hard way, there will be more events, now you know a bit more and hopefully you won't rage quit and stick around, this community is pretty great and I love seeing more competition out there.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    I'm just pissed that I even played by their stupid system and STILL got jacked. With this stupid system I should be able to retake first with stupid levels of last minute grinding. I couldn't even get 1000 points to retake my bracket.
  • Clint wrote:
    God bless brackets where you can take 1st with less than 3K points. I had nearly 48,000 and came in the top 100 after sitting and watching my ranking drop away in the last 2 hours of the game with my missions only being worth 10.

System is garbage.

When did u start? I started day 3, hence a sub 30k bracket (by 1 match :/)

And about devil dino. He should be part of the rewards for a 1* tournement as he is 1* rated. Would be awesome if he was part of a savage lands Mr.sinister/sauron event..nightcrawler could be in it too.

Also, don't think 0 points is a bug necessarily. I had the last lvl with sink blacked out and venom blacked pit by the end. I think they put a cap on the number of attempts/points/something. I am sure my other two would have blacked if I had gotten a few more matches on on each. Each round had a base min for first attempt that dropped from there. The PROBLEM is I think the drop only occurred after rubberbanding points finished disappearing.

It's not a bug. There was clearly a limit on missions.

Another thing that would have been nice to know in advance.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    From first to somewhere in 51-100 in 8 hours with no missions available. Oh well, I'll get Punisher eventually.

I think in the end, PvE competitions end up broken with or without rubber banding. Like most other competitions in this game, if you can't time a The Hunt for a ending hour push, you're out of luck.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    I'm just pissed that I even played by their stupid system and STILL got jacked. With this stupid system I should be able to retake first with stupid levels of lady minute grinding. I couldn't even get 1000 points to retake my bracket.

ranzera, the rubberbanding basically gave you 1000s to catch up if you were rank 300+, it was 300 at around rank 200, and u said u were rank 100ish.

so u'd grind really low point level ones. i started at rank 200 and at the end, i was first place by like 10 points but, my missions were giving me 5 points at the end.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    From first to somewhere in 51-100 in 8 hours with no missions available. Oh well, I'll get Punisher eventually.

I think in the end, PvE competitions end up broken with or without rubber banding. Like most other competitions in this game, if you can't time a The Hunt for a ending hour push, you're out of luck.

They should just remove placement rewards from PvE. That seems like the only way to fix it.
  • forgrim wrote:
    there is initial outrage that will die down after the punisher is rewarded in every tournament for the next month.

but brackets in pve events, i'm beginning to think its generally a bad idea.

I can survive one dev error of this size. #2 will be a trend for me, and I've suffered enough of those games in my time.
  • It is odd that you have to "crack the code" to win but it is also interesting. Made for some lively discussion here as we figured out how the rubber banding worked. I went with a strategy of starting every event right away with one win and doing all the missions towards the end. Did not do well in any individual event (best was top 200 and mostly top 400) but was able to out score most in my main bracket this way. My secondary account sat this out for the most part but did come in for one event and easly finished top 10. Not even close for the main bracket though. Endded up pacing myself and sprinting for the finish at the end with 9pt matches and took 2nd in my main. Sorry to those that are frustrated but the strategy became pretty clear - especially if you read the forums. This was not a grind tournament. Glad of that as a 10 day grind would have sucked. I'm sure lots more punisher covers will be coming.
  • It's not a bug. There was clearly a limit on missions.

I'd definitely call it a bug.

I'm curious, did anyone manage top 2 in both main and any of the sub-brackets? I was playing for Punisher, but I'm wondering if it were possible had I tried.
  • greggray24 wrote:
    It is odd that you have to "crack the code" to win but it is also interesting. Made for some lively discussion here as we figured out how the rubber banding worked. I went with a strategy of starting every event right away with one win and doing all the missions towards the end. Did not do well in any individual event (best was top 200 and mostly top 400) but was able to out score most in my main bracket this way. My secondary account sat this out for the most part but did come in for one event and easly finished top 10. Not even close for the main bracket though. Endded up pacing myself and sprinting for the finish at the end with 9pt matches and took 2nd in my main. Sorry to those that are frustrated but the strategy became pretty clear - especially if you read the forums. This was not a grind tournament. Glad of that as a 10 day grind would have sucked. I'm sure lots more punisher covers will be coming.
    I played by the code and got top 15. I mad.

I'm so tired of having to play like an opportunistic piss ant.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    I'm just pissed that I even played by their stupid system and STILL got jacked. With this stupid system I should be able to retake first with stupid levels of last minute grinding. I couldn't even get 1000 points to retake my bracket.

Hey, I'm curious, was that your second go on those or had you not touched any of them until the end? I was a little surprised that I didn't catch up more quickly at the end, but I think it might be because more people were playing at the end of the event than had been the case previously.

I'm curious, did anyone manage top 2 in both main and any of the sub-brackets? I was playing for Punisher, but I'm wondering if it were possible had I tried.

I got #1 in the main, and probably 1 top 50 finish, the rest were all between 100-400.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Ranzera wrote:

Hey, I'm curious, was that your second go on those or had you not touched any of them until the end? I was a little surprised that I didn't catch up more quickly at the end, but I think it might be because more people were playing at the end of the event than had been the case previously.
    Savage was virgin before I started with an hour and 4 minutes to go.

I finished top 2 in every single Alaska except the first one, finished 2nd in the main, and 200-500 for all the other sub missions.
  • I am really happy the event, though at the same time glad it ended, doing the same missions for 4th time got little bit boring.

I earned about 150k iso over the duration of The Hunt, whereas most of it will be from The Hunt itself (including those nice 500iso gifts and ton of covers sold from tokens), small part would be from other events. Speaking of tokens, just from the sheer number of them I was bound to get couple good covers, so now my collection is bit more complete icon_e_smile.gif

Now for the rewards from The Hunt and subevents. After first cycle of bases I decided upon strategy, sticked with it till the very end and it paid off. For bases it gave me top 50 or top 100 rewards and for the main event it secured me #1 without any troubles. The beauty of it was that I spent only about one hour on each base, which was most welcomed change from the old grinding.
  • Well that was intense, started playing my missions with 50 minutes left on the clock, and thought I had left it too late half way through, In the end placed first by a single point. I hope they remove the rubber banding after this, it seems a lot of people who clocked in a lot of hours are leaving this event relatively empty handed. Perhaps a compromise next time, have the sub-missions affected by rubber banding, so that casual players can play infrequently and win some tokens, but have points to the main event fixed?
  • Ranzera wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    Ranzera wrote:

Savage was virgin before I started with an hour and 4 minutes to go.

Well that's your problem, you waited too long. It takes longer than 1 hr to grind all the repeatables down to 0, which you need for a top 3 finish at the end.
  • I'm curious, did anyone manage top 2 in both main and any of the sub-brackets? I was playing for Punisher, but I'm wondering if it were possible had I tried.
    This was possible only in first sub-bracket you played
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    Those of us that were here for the Heroic Juggernaut event and other events we know the system and due to that we had an unfair advantage.

I see many posts of people complaining that missions were giving 0 points and if you're a new person I can understand why that would make you upset, specially if you don't know that they refill every 1.5-2 hours. New players also did not know that they should be saving The Savage Lands missions till the end.

It's unfortunate that new players don't exactly know how the system works, they have to learn the hard way, this rubberbanding works well if you know what to do, but if you're someone who just hopped on board a week ago and started spending $$ and were excited that you were about to get a Punisher cover only to have your dreams crushed at the last 15 minutes, then I can see how this game would leave a sour taste in your mouth.

We're only seeing the vocal minority posting here, am sure there are hundreds of players who don't post here wondering what the heck just happened to their top 10 ranking.

All I can say to them is, lesson learned, the hard way, there will be more events, now you know a bit more and hopefully you won't rage quit and stick around, this community is pretty great and I love seeing more competition out there.

As someone who has loved and, frankly, evangelized this game for over a month now I really disagree with this attitude.

"Lesson learned"? Really?

We've been waiting for weeks for the next chapter of ISO, it's super exciting and well laid out, keeps you busy, keeps you winning stuff, I honestly had such a fun time with it all the way through because I was sure that it was going to capped off with the thing I wanted most.

Good game design should not keep you engaged for a week and half and then end with you "learning a lesson".

I'm all for wanting this game to succeed to trying to build a strong community. I have the same impulses. The core game is fantastic, I love all the covers and the characs and the RPG levelling and the satisfaction of employing a good strategy. I want more people to experience that and keep this game going for a long time, to get even more characs, exploring different Marvel Storylines, etc.

But I CANNOT just shrug this off as "Hey, thems the breaks, but please stick around, this is how it works and you'll know better next time."

"Knowing better next time" would mean; if you compare it to the way I approached this event; less playing, less fun, less progression, less everything that makes this game wonderful.

To just accept the way this Event was laid out as the status quo does a massive disservice to the core strengths of this otherwise fantastic game, and encourages the ultimate dilution of the very things that make it wonderful.