Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    vudu3 wrote:
    Can you expand on why 4/4/5 may be a better build for cStorm? I've never heard anyone suggest less than 5 in green.

Also, just want to point out that we're halfway through the list and haven't seen a single new character. Power creep FTW.

Well every new character is a 3* with 3 powers, so currently the only old characters of that tier the new ones are ahead of Daredevil and IM40 - you'd have to really be trying to make a duff character to be judged worse than them...
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40 yellow ability would be the best AP generation... If not for the poor scaling.

I suspect that the play testers found it too strong, and they have to "nerf" him by giving him higher than usual red and blue ability. Which is a pity cos he would have been really strong.

I intend to have his yellow at 2, so that I could pair him with Lazy cap. I often use 2 red/ yellow boost, which means I only need whether 2 yellow match or 3 red match to use Lcap red shield. Blue shield is also good for pve.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Let me start off by saying I want to thank you for all your hard work. As someone who hasn't been playing the game for too long this helps me get a grasp on how cards compare to others.

Here is where you can improve. While I see where you are going with the memes they are very unnecessary and really don't add anything to the rankings. What I would like to see you do is put the actual covers in the rankings vs the memes. I have collected and linked (in the spoiler) the 11 you currently have ranked to hopefully make this easier.
    Mischiefmaker memes are great. He has done a superv job recolecting all the info and explaining why they should be considered at each category.
    I have an excel at my signature "Characters & Skills Compendium" with the raking (the previous one until this one is closed) with the updated info and the covers if you need it, separated by tabs.

Regards
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I think 18 will be Spidey.
    I think Thor (Marvel Now) should be there icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Can you expand on why 4/4/5 may be a better build for cStorm? I've never heard anyone suggest less than 5 in green.

Also, just want to point out that we're halfway through the list and haven't seen a single new character. Power creep FTW.

If I had to fathom a guess I would say this....

Once a player is in 3*** land, no one is going to use green AP to cast Lightning Strike (see Mohawk Storm thread). With Call the Storm (Modern Thor) and World Rupture (Sentry) as game ending abilities, there is almost no logical reason to "waste" 10 green AP on this ability (by 10 Green AP, a player should have already casted World Rupture).

Thus, her role on an advanced team is really for Wind Storm and to hope that one gets lucky in PvE with a bad Flamethrower/Rocket/etc. hit triggering her full-power Tempest, which is quite powerful (especially as she is often buffed in PvEs). Reducing her blue from 5 to 4 only suffers one less turn of stun and still yields full damage on the ability.

Therefore, 4/4/5 would be the build on a Classic Storm based upon this scenario (given 5 in yellow and 4 in blue mandates 4 in green to reach 13 covers).
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited June 2014
    I only run cStorm in PvE now. The logical partner for her is MMN, who doesn't use green. The most often used third is Hood, who doesn't need green either. This team runs on unlimited AP, and AP generation is essential as green can flow into purple into blue into Wind Storm, or yellow into red into green, etc. Therefore I'm not losing anything by leaving her green at 5, quite the opposite. I can't rely on yellow too much because I don't want to be hit by AoE unless unavoidable. Not every node even has AoE goons.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Lyrian wrote:
    Thus, her role on an advanced team is really for Wind Storm and to hope that one gets lucky in PvE with a bad Flamethrower/Rocket/etc. hit triggering her full-power Tempest, which is quite powerful (especially as she is often buffed in PvEs). Reducing her blue from 5 to 4 only suffers one less turn of stun and still yields full damage on the ability.

Therefore, 4/4/5 would be the build on a Classic Storm based upon this scenario (given 5 in yellow and 4 in blue mandates 4 in green to reach 13 covers).
    If that's the case why not just go 3/5/5 so you get an extra stun from Wind Storm? If you're never going to use Lightning Storm you should just go 3 in green.
  • #18 is finally revealed! And since this "tier" is a little light on content, having only one character, I gave it two memes to make up for it. Enjoy!
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Clearly D3 has it out for our #1 character. That's why next year, I'm voting Daredevil #1. He'll never see it coming.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Getting a huge kick out of the memes. Spot-on observations so far.

Yeah, Spidey/GSBW were my first 141s and I flogged them nonstop in PVP. Always have had a nice harmony together but you hit the nail on the head that the problem is match length. Matches might be a little faster now if you can ditch all that target-cycling with stun-lock, but you're going to have zero deterrent effect at those HP levels, which seems to be the name of the game in PVP nowadays.

Agreed that #1 ranking might be a kiss of death. That CMags nerf is about to be taken off the back burner, I expect.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Kavel wrote:
    Agreed that #1 ranking might be a kiss of death. That CMags nerf is about to be taken off the back burner, I expect.
    Perhaps not--if I recall Rags and Spidey were ranked #1 by a wide margin in the first and second character rankings, respectively. mischiefmaker said that it #1 and #2 were very close in this ranking (likely cMags and Lazy Thor). Seems to indicate that either both these characters are overpowered (quite possibly) or that they've both just really good characters for different reasons but neither one is completely broken.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Clearly D3 has it out for our #1 character. That's why next year, I'm voting Daredevil #1. He'll never see it coming.

240px-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

I'd really like to see them attempt to make DD less player friendly. icon_lol.gif
  • I REALLY wanted to know which nerf is d3 planning to mags ... as long as its not red (unlikely) it wouldnt make any changes in my team ... (cmag and patch)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    AdrianoD wrote:
    I REALLY wanted to know which nerf is d3 planning to mags ... as long as its not red (unlikely) it wouldnt make any changes in my team ... (cmag and patch)

Definatly going to be red. 2AP for any power is just too low. Red will probably do more damage and cost around 6 AP. The real question will be what will blue look like?
  • #18 is finally revealed! And since this "tier" is a little light on content, having only one character, I gave it two memes to make up for it. Enjoy!
    132555166_omg_i_knew_it_thumb_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • locked wrote:
    I only run cStorm in PvE now. The logical partner for her is MMN, who doesn't use green. The most often used third is Hood, who doesn't need green either. This team runs on unlimited AP, and AP generation is essential as green can flow into purple into blue into Wind Storm, or yellow into red into green, etc. Therefore I'm not losing anything by leaving her green at 5, quite the opposite. I can't rely on yellow too much because I don't want to be hit by AoE unless unavoidable. Not every node even has AoE goons.

I bow to your technique, but cringe at your patience.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    qtquazar wrote:
    locked wrote:

I bow to your technique, but cringe at your patience.
    But why? It's usually just as fast and much more reliable than getting hit by AoE and hoping Tempest does all the work; I try to conserve healthpacks as a rule...
  • Does anyone think Spider-man would play better if his webs (and any other web slingers) did some minor damage and reduced some enemy AP (not steal)?

It would still make sense for his character to web someone to stun them and screw up their plans. CStorm does damage with her stun, Moonstone steals countdown tiles with hers so a 3 star stunner should be able to have some minor added effect.

IM40 desperately needs some tweaking too, if he's gonna drain AP he should at least toss out some protect tiles equivalent to the loss.

Hopefully the devs will retool their flagship characters
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I agree with the build for Spider-man. Blue is still much worse than before, but going above 3 covers does make it usable.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    I actually think 4/4/5 is probably the best Spider-Man build.

3 blue: First stun is one turn, second stun is one turn, third stun is two turns
    4 blue: First stun is one turn, second stun is two turns, third stun is two turns
    5 blue: First stun is one turn, second stun is two turns, third stun is three turns

Collecting 10 blue AP to stun twice is something that will probably happen, but collecting 15 AP to stun three times is much rarer. You might as well get the extra healing from the 4th yellow cover.

Spider-Man also makes a great partner for Classic Magneto. Magneto has a great purple skill but has purple as a weak match damage color. Spider-Man loves matching purple tiles but doesn't actually have a use for purple AP. They're like best friends!
    Yes, they both have skills that take blue AP, but Magneto's blue only appears to cost AP, so they don't actually conflict. icon_e_wink.gif