Prize handouts killed the servers again

Options
Interesting that it started as just lag and more serious problems came only 15m later to apparently full halt of features and 50m later even events disappear.

One would think people learn from past and improve, here I see the very opposite.

Comments

• HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I got mine before the excrement connected with the room aerator for a change - watch as I now get sandboxed when duplicates arrive...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, I've had no rewards yet for the Hood tournament... pretty sure I'm in line for two Storm covers, which will be nice for the Storm tournament. If they take days to arrive again, that's rather depriving us of the benefit of the last tournament.
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Interesting that it started as just lag and more serious problems came only 15m later to apparently full halt of features and 50m later even events disappear.

One would think people learn from past and improve, here I see the very opposite.

Even WoW has server problems. Stop acting like D3's servers should always be running perfectly, and that any issue at all means they don't know what they are doing.

People LOVE to complain on this forum.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jkells wrote:
    Even WoW has server problems. Stop acting like D3's servers should always be running perfectly, and that any issue at all means they don't know what they are doing.

A-ha, and WoW game surely requires similar amount of traffic as MPQ, not a few magnitudes more... How about talking about stuff you know something about?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Games like WoW have problems when everyone tries to log in on the same time because the game is not designed to have so many people log on at once (it can have that many players on at once, but the login server can't handle it fast enough). This usually happens once every expansion because that's about the only time everyone will suddenly all log on at the same time. In the case of MPQ, a similar fallout occurs close to every 3 days.

I suspect it's actually a similar issue as the load far exceeds what the server is designed for, but in the case of WoW such an event happens once every 2 years or so, so you can give them a break for not investing to prevent such an event from happening once every 2 years.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If it is just high spikes from rewards being given out, they can either have a dedicated server manage the rewards and do a better job of partitioning out their services over different clusters. Or if they are doing their deployment on cloud infrastructure they can set up elastic servers that will expand when load increases. They could even provision new servers for extra processing work on event end times to deal with the extra load of dishing out rewards, and then close these provisions after completion so they dont even have to pay for the additional servers for the whole month.

There are solutions, this is not nearly as complex or intensive as dealing with the magnitude of WoW. This is pretty do-able stuff now-a-days. They probably just dont have anyone on staff with a lot of Operations experience - companies like to forget that network infrastructure is important...