Why I Love MPQ

Options
FaerieMyst
FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
First some background -
The last year of my life has been the most stressful and difficult year of my adulthood. I'm 50 and my life has been full both good and bad but the last 14 months have just ground me down. Three moves, a concussion, hospitalization, rotator cuff surgery, a physical assault, a business merger on top of the normal stress that occurs in everyday life. It took a toll on everyone and as mom they more often than not look to me for comfort.

I first see MPQ on my Nook Tablet. I download it but it is so different from the other PQ games (which I played on both tablet and DS) that I uninstalled it and moved on. A few weeks later, one of my daughters starts talking about it so with some coaching from her, I reinstall and start playing. It wasn't long before my husband and another daughter started playing.

I read the boards. I've learned so much from other people here that I pass on to my husband and daughters. I also see the whining and if you've seen any of my replies to some of these whines then you'll recognize three little words: First World Problems.

As awful as the last year has been I've never forgotten that I have First World Problems. I have a roof over my head every night. I have never lacked transportation. I always have enough food to eat. My daughters (4 beautiful grown women) have never had to fear being **** by neighboring tribes or being mutilated to fit in with fears of our culture. My children have never suffered malaria, cholera, diptheria, polio or any of the other deadly diseases that still plague too much of the world. We have always had clean drinking water and if we don't like the air quality, we can move. The very fact that I have a computer to post this on and devices to play MPQ on are further proof that I have a blessed life regardless of the problems and stresses.

So with that in mind, this is why I love MPQ:

1. It is shiny. I like pretty colors and fun sounds.
2. I can play with as much or as little effort as I want.
3. I get to share it with my family.
4. I am competitive and have lots of opportunity to compete.
5. It relaxes me. The worst that will happen is I lose a match or don't place as highly as I wanted to. Nothing else rides on this.
6. When I get too caught up and let the game stress me I can put it down and walk away - for an hour, a day, a week or even forever. It is my choice to play or not play.
7. I love the variety. I'll never complain about too many characters. I own the ones I want and play with all of them.
8. I love the challenge. Yep, sometimes I lose. Sometimes I am convinced the developers are nuts to give me the opponents I have but, seriously, it's a game. If it were really too much, I'd find an easier game.
9. I love my alliance. Great people who are competitive and fun.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I find your post a bit offensive towards third world countries, I lived and was born in one and if you think we have tribes **** other tribes, dirty water, malaria and who knows what else as a common and present danger, then you have seen too much movies.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think you are awesome and this post brings a smile to my currently **** life in perspective. You are right, I should count my blessings icon_e_smile.gif

I hope you stay here and post more, we need more positivity around here
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    I find your post a bit offensive towards third world countries, I lived and was born in one and if you think we have tribes tinykittying other tribes, dirty water, malaria and who knows what else as a common and present danger, then you have seen too much movies.

You're confused. OP listed her problems as first-world, then mentioned problems she didn't have to contend with. The fact that these problems are typically only suffered in developing nations in no way implies that they are suffered in all developing nations. Third world status is typically a necessary condition for female genital mutilation, but it is by no means a sufficient one.
  • FaerieMyst
    Options
    I am sorry for offending but I did not misspeak. While it doesn't happen everywhere there are countries where **** is an act of war. There are places where people are never truly healthy because the quality of the water is so poor. Although a lot of progress has been made in the fight against malaria, there are still places that lack the preventative measures to prevent its spread. Human trafficking happens.

There are inequities in this world. There are people in genuinely desperate situations. Sharding, bracketing, MMR, not getting a good cover - if this is your stress in life then you are fortunate.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You did, and I showed your post to other people and they found it offensive as well. As I said, you talk about those things as if they were a common and present danger, they are not. You should visit a third world country (I was born in a third world country in south america and we call it like that) some day and realize they have internet, and cable, and people live everyday life like everwhere in the world.

There is a small population, very small, livling in tribes, most of them are even peaceful. As I said, you saw too much news and you think its very common but realize they are news for a reason, because they are exceptional events.

There are murders everywhere but clean water, zones free of malaria and people not killing each other just because they are in a tribe, is the exception in a very very small percentage of the population.

Is like being afraid of moving to LA because you think there will be an earthquake everyday, that would be foolish, and you dont see third world people waking up and being thankful to God because they are not sucked by an earthquake.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    you talk about those things as if they were a common and present danger, they are not.

You do realize that there ARE parts of the world where those things are fairly common - I know because I have friends who have made it their life's mission to move to these areas and live as missionaries and they have shared some of the atrocities they have heard from people who have been born and raised there with me.

I've read the original post over and over, and I'm finding it hard to see where the op said these are commonplace in all third world nations. If you are referring to the phrase "first world problems" perhaps it would be helpful to know that it is a fairly common American phrase (not sure if it's said in other parts of the world). From the Oxford dictionary, it is defined as: A relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).

All that said, I suppose people could be offended by anything, but the relative innocence of the post and it's apparent intent make me question why anyone would put so much effort into complaining about the post. I know this is the age of the Internet, where anyone can say anything just to spark a reaction, but come on. Let it go.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Options
    They are not common in third world countries as a whole, if you of course only take in account when a success happens, then the probability is going to be 100%, but if you see the whole affected population or mentioned population, then the percentage is low enough. Is like giving thanks for not being crushed by a meteorite. And as I said, all of my friends who lived or live in third world country who have seen this, said even less polite things that I wont dare to post here, they were really offended.

Again, think of a guy in south america giving thanks everyday because he is not swallowed by an earthquake, thats the impression we get when we see a post like that.

Whatever it is, is easy to have an opinion if you havent visited or lived in both sides, as I have. I dont see what this discussion has to do with PQ anymore and I'm here to talk about PQ, keep believing whatever you want and thinking that everything that is south of US or whole Africa or whatever is an indiana jones movie.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    You did, and I showed your post to other people and they found it offensive as well. As I said, you talk about those things as if they were a common and present danger, they are not. You should visit a third world country (I was born in a third world country in south america and we call it like that) some day and realize they have internet, and cable, and people live everyday life like everwhere in the world.

There is a small population, very small, livling in tribes, most of them are even peaceful. As I said, you saw too much news and you think its very common but realize they are news for a reason, because they are exceptional events.

There are murders everywhere but clean water, zones free of malaria and people not killing each other just because they are in a tribe, is the exception in a very very small percentage of the population.

Is like being afraid of moving to LA because you think there will be an earthquake everyday, that would be foolish, and you dont see third world people waking up and being thankful to God because they are not sucked by an earthquake.

You missed the point yet again. He isnt talking about ALL third world coutnries, but in SOME third world countries these things (Malaria, attacking tribes, female genital mutilation, poor water quality) these things are real. And more importantly to his point, these problems are ones that occur almost exclusively in third world countries (hence they are not "first world problems").

Think of it this way. You have two big circles. One is labeled "1st world countries" the other "third world countries". Inside the "third world" circle is a smaller circle of "countries that have an issue with malaria" and another smaller circle "countries that have a problem with female genital mutilation". Your country may not be in the smaller circle - and so we arent talking about you and your country. However if you notice, that smaller circle of "countries with malaria problems" is found ONLY in the third world circle, hence it a problem found in the third world.

You can say that America has a problem with gay marraige. Does that mean all of America has a problem with it? Nope, not at all. My state has gay marriage and is on the forefront of gay rights. But would you be correct in saying that? Absolutely, because SOME state do have major issues with that.

Same with "Are Americans gun crazy". We;; sure, Americans, as a whole, are pretty gun crazy. Maybe moreso than most 1t world countries. Am I gun crazy? Nope, but that doesnt make the generalization untrue. Stop being offended so easily and understand generalizations and how they work.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    They are not common in third world countries as a whole, if you of course only take in account when a success happens, then the probability is going to be 100%, but if you see the whole affected population or mentioned population, then the percentage is low enough. Is like giving thanks for not being crushed by a meteorite. And as I said, all of my friends who lived or live in third world country who have seen this, said even less polite things that I wont dare to post here, they were really offended.

Again, think of a guy in south america giving thanks everyday because he is not swallowed by an earthquake, thats the impression we get when we see a post like that.

Also, here is a map of countries with Malaria risk. Notice that they are all third world countries....

Little bit of research goes a long way!

malaria-map.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Its funny how you cant even see how offensive you are.

Whatever it is, is easy to have an opinion if you havent visited or lived in both sides, as I have. I dont see what this discussion has to do with PQ anymore and I'm here to talk about PQ, keep believing whatever you want and thinking that everything that is south of US or whole Africa or whatever is an indiana jones movie.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:

And it is just as amazing how poor your reading comprehension skills are. Not a single person has said that every third world country has issues with any particular thing. However there are iues that exist only in third world countries. I really fail to see how you cannot grasp that certain issues do exist in third world countries that dont exist in ANY 1st world countries on any major scale.

btw, you were the one who made this about something other than PQ.
  • Unknown
    Options
    OMG have you seen?, Brazil is in that Malaria map!, I guess wht world cup wont even finish as every team will be infected with it, how they dare do a world cup where everyone who goes gets malariaaaaa.

Now I'm really done. Stop generalizing, and dont talk because statistics, try to visit those countries and you will be surprised to have a great experience.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    OMG have you seen?, Brazil is in that Malaria map!, I guess wht world cup wont even finish as every team will be infected with it, how they dare do a world cup where everyone who goes gets malariaaaaa.

Now I'm really done. Stop generalizing, and dont talk because statistics, try to visit those countries and you will be surprised to have a great experience.

wow, no one said that the countries are all horrible, its just that those issues only exist there. Tbh, Brazil has bigger problems regarding the world cup than malaria, but Im not getting into that. Im sure these countries are great places for the most part, but they are also the ONLY countries with these problems. Thats why they are called that.

You keep picking out small statements and missing the bigger picture. I cant tell if you are trolling, have a poor understanding of English, or honestly just a negative person. Either way, it would be greatly appreciated by all if you did stop for good icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Great story, honestly truly from a non-biased fellow mpqer icon_e_wink.gif

Thread kinda went off-topic and sour. This thread is sposed to be about love for mpq. Keep it positive guys.
  • FaerieMyst
    Options
    Wow. I suppose I could find it offensive that my posts could be so widely misrepresented by someone but . . . . .seriously. Regardless of where you live, there are people that suffer from hunger, neglect, disease, abuse and other horrors that no one should have to endure. MPQ simply doesn't rank. The level of angst that goes into some of the posts . . . I've seen it in all types of online discussions. We get so caught up in our own particular frustrations that we lose sight of the bigger picture.

I stand by my perspective: if MPQ or something similar is what drives you to frustration and gives you major stress, then you are among the fortunate.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Rohade wrote:
    I've had great experiences in third-world countries. I was born in one. However, I still recognize that third-world countries (including my motherland) have a variety of serious problems that've all but disappeared (or are much more well-hidden) in first-world countries. I didn't find the OP offensive.

I can honestly see why your interpretation of the OP would offend you. But, I don't think it's a particularly intuitive interpretation, especially since the OP doesn't even contain the phrase "third-world."
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rohade wrote:

That's funny, I was just thinking the same thing about you. You obviously have a problem with something that you need to sort out, because the OP made a few general comments, without ever giving claim to how common they are, where those problems exist, or that every third world country suffers from those problems. Let me break it down for you...

Is Malaria a problem in some third world countries? Yes, it is.
    Is female genital mutilation a problem in some third world countries? Yes, it is.
    Is unclean drinking water a problem in some third world countries? Yes, it is.

You're defending the entire third world when the OP only said that the above problems are issues that may be faced in the third world, and she is right. You seem to think she is wrong, when she's not. You need to realise that while you may have lived in a third world country, you didn't live in them all, so your righteous indignation is coming off as nothing more than the petty ranting of someone without a basic grasp of how the world works.

Get over it, get over yourself, and move on before you make yourself look even more silly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    I stand by my perspective: if MPQ or something similar is what drives you to frustration and gives you major stress, then you are among the fortunate.

I would agree, and your post has helped me remember that sometimes I do get too angry with the game (well, actually the developers), when it is actually just a game. At the end of the day, I can always play something else any time I want to.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well....at least the complaints are the usual raging about the game? icon_lol.gif
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    anchorman.jpg

And here I thought the post was about keeping the game in perspective and appreciating life....