Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• Hey, Yelena is invaluable for tanking nowadays, especially now that you need to actually suicide your roster to do it.

• KyOGYwC.png

So IceIX wasn't lying when he said that during the next Character rankings edition we will see a teaser for the next 4* char. Also, birds were mentioned.

1220634_f260.jpg
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    I think we should have a quiz to get people to predict the number enigmatic 18 icon_e_smile.gif

I am guessing OBW gets this slot. With the little health and so many new big powers she is being pushed out of the 3*** range. icon_e_sad.gif
  • wymtime wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    I think we should have a quiz to get people to predict the number enigmatic 18 icon_e_smile.gif

I am guessing OBW gets this slot. With the little health and so many new big powers she is being pushed out of the 3*** range. icon_e_sad.gif

It won't be OBW.

Based on the vote distribution, it's a character who is clearly in the middle of the rankings but no one can quite figure out if they're slightly above or below average.

I'm guessing it will be someone like ** Wolverine or ** Thor who used to be really high but has dropped significantly due to nerfs, significant increases in the number of characters using green, and/or the introduction of a significant character or two using the same colors like LazyThor.

Another possibility could be Falcon, who isn't really good on his own but can be a solid support character in either buffing strike tiles / attack tiles or clearing them out.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    #18 must be Spidey indeed, because Falcon, Thor** and Wolvie** are all average/above average in their tiers, which doesn't call for the dubious position name.

OTOH when Bullseye was buffed in Prodigal Sun I suddenly had some short-lived fun with him. He's only level 6 but he was actually buffed to useful levels. I brought cMags, cHawkeye and the like to spam crits; mStorm to gobble the EAP and most of the fights were in the Lab early on; so I actually fired his black a few times to deal hilarious amounts of damage with a level 6 character. It was fun but Bullseye is still my next-to-go sucker after Yelena (I'm keeping Bag-Man ahead of him even).
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    My guess for #18 is Psylocke. Looking at that 10-15 range from the last round, she seems the most polarizing.
  • Isay_Isay wrote:
    My guess for #18 is Psylocke. Looking at that 10-15 range from the last round, she seems the most polarizing.
    Psylocke is too good. I think people ranked her high after using her in both her PvPs and some PvEs.
  • wymtime
    Teke184 wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

It won't be OBW.

Based on the vote distribution, it's a character who is clearly in the middle of the rankings but no one can quite figure out if they're slightly above or below average.

I'm guessing it will be someone like ** Wolverine or ** Thor who used to be really high but has dropped significantly due to nerfs, significant increases in the number of characters using green, and/or the introduction of a significant character or two using the same colors like LazyThor.

Another possibility could be Falcon, who isn't really good on his own but can be a solid support character in either buffing strike tiles / attack tiles or clearing them out.

I think it is someone who was a suprise. Look at the quote for 18
    8: Um...what?

I think it was someone who was in the top 10 before who really fell Psylock was 11 last time. Maybe Spiderman? I don't think OBW will be top 10 again with Lthor, LDaken, Sentry, HT, and Falcon. icon_cool.gif
  • wymtime wrote:
    I think it was someone who was in the top 10 before who really fell Psylock was 11 last time. Maybe Spiderman? I don't think OBW will be top 10 again with Lthor, LDaken, Sentry, HT, and Falcon. icon_cool.gif

The last top 10-

Spidey
    CMags
    Patch
    Black Panther
    Punisher
    OBW
    Hulk
    Hood
    GSBW
    Thor

Spidey clearly drops significantly due to his nerf.

I see 2* Thor and GSBW taking a hit for sure, as LazyThor replaces 2* Thor while GSBW is godawful on defense. Hitting all three guys with Sniper Rifle may be good on offense but generally fails on defense unless you're playing in the desert.

As far as the new guys go, it's a given that LazyThor is near the top. LazyDaken probably is as well. Torch won't be top 10 IMHO because he has problems on defense. Falcon has no offense to speak of and, while he's a good support character, likely won't be a top 10 guy.

I'm a little more torn on Sentry because I know that Sacrifice and World Rupture are good on offense, but I'm not sure how well they are used on defense.
  • wymtime
    Teke184 wrote:
    I'm a little more torn on Sentry because I know that Sacrifice and World Rupture are good on offense, but I'm not sure how well they are used on defense.

I only have a limited Sentry but he is a beast on Defense. 1 world rupture can wreak your whole day. Also you don't need to worry about his self damage on Defense. He will be top 10 but outside of top 5. Maybe 7?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree on the venom part, I did sold my fully covered and lvl 30 venom, as it seems that they are not going to bring back the 1* tourney.
  • I bet #18 is Spidey, wouldn't be suprised if some voted him below Yelena out of spite icon_razz.gif.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    In that heat chart are the characters on rows or columns?
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you so much for doing this! It is especially useful to newcomers like myself.

Now, give us more!!!

Please.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    atomzed wrote:

#18 has to be the character that mischiefmaker said had been ranked at 33 different positions. This means he's either a polarizing new character or an old one that was heavily changed. The only options are Sentry, Falcon and Spidey.

Sentry seems less likely--he's overpowered but he does hurt himself and his teammates. Even though the math shows that you come out ahead by ending the match early with one of his moves people have different tolerances for self-damage. I could see a wide range of votes spread out over the top half of the ranking but it seems unlikely that he'd be ranked towards the bottom by very many people.

Falcon's a definite possibility. He's all but useless on his own but he's a great support character when paired with someone like Daken (Classic) or Punisher. This is my personal pick for #18--people who love strike tiles will rank him high but those running with Lazy Thor, Panther or cMags will have no use for him.

Spidey is another obvious choice but less likely than Falcon in my opinion. As Nivrax said, I could see people placing him at the bottom out of spite but I don't see many people sticking him at the top any more. Then again, he does still have a passive that gives decent enough protect tiles and he's the only 3* healer. He could easily cover 33 different positions on people's lists without ever cracking anyone's top 5.
  • orionpeace wrote:
    Thank you so much for doing this! It is especially useful to newcomers like myself.

Now, give us more!!!

Please.
    Ask and ye shall receive! Second post is up.
  • The X-Farce meme is just perfect icon_lol.gif

Good writeups, as always.
  • I really want to like Daredevil, but as stated he is hard to use and with low payoff. He should be one of the best defensive characters in the game, but the mechanics just don't quite work.
  • Let me start off by saying I want to thank you for all your hard work. As someone who hasn't been playing the game for too long this helps me get a grasp on how cards compare to others.

Here is where you can improve. While I see where you are going with the memes they are very unnecessary and really don't add anything to the rankings. What I would like to see you do is put the actual covers in the rankings vs the memes. I have collected and linked (in the spoiler) the 11 you currently have ranked to hopefully make this easier.
    260px-Yelena_Belova_%28Dark_Avengers_Widow%29.png

260px-Spider-Man_%28Bag-Man%29.png

260px-Hawkeye_%28Classic%29.png

260px-Venom_%28Dark_Avengers_Spider-Man%29.png

260px-Bullseye_%28Dark_Avengers_Hawkeye%29.png

260px-Juggernaut_%28Classic%29.png

260px-Iron_Man_%28Model_35%29.png

260px-Moonstone_%28Dark_Avengers_Ms._Marvel%29.png

260px-Hawkeye_%28Modern%29.png

260px-Black_Widow_%28Modern%29.png

260px-Wolverine_%28X-Force%29.png

260px-Daredevil_%28Classic%29.png
  • wymtime
    Let me start off by saying I want to thank you for all your hard work. As someone who hasn't been playing the game for too long this helps me get a grasp on how cards compare to others.

Here is where you can improve. While I see where you are going with the memes they are very unnecessary and really don't add anything to the rankings. What I would like to see you do is put the actual covers in the rankings vs the memes. I have collected and linked (in the spoiler) the 11 you currently have ranked to hopefully make this easier.

I am all for the memes. for IM35 the meme should be a new shiny car "what I though my first car looked like" a beat up used car "what my first car really looked like"

I don't know how to do memes otherwise I would have created it for you!!!